Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    1998 HONDA ACCORD V6-L

Question Is it true that that 1998 HONDA ACCORD V-6L is the best so far from Honda?

Guys,

I've owned the Honda Accord V6-L since it first came out 8 years ago and paid approximately $50,000 for it at the time, it's got everything - leather interior, wood grain, power eletric everything and rides like a plane - smooth and very luxurious indeed... recently, my Wife and I decided to upgrade and went for the 2006 Honda Accord Euro... despite the various difference in looks, trend and some latest features... I have discovered that for some reason, all in all, nothing beats my 1998 Honda Accord V6-L. The V6-L rides smoother, has fair better handling and is so much roomier... although the new Accord Euro outranks in looks and has some more features inside... I personally feel for what's it's worth all all the hype... Honda's best Accord so far to this day, remains the 1998 Honda Accord V6-L. Does anyone has a similiar car, similiar experiences and thoughts... not to mention, alot of Accord Euro's have been recalled due to various faults... and the Euro's doors are so stiff, uncomfortable seats and the steering is less dynamic than the V6-L...I know it sounds hard to believe... but not all new things are better...and oh, after 1998, most of the Honda rang is assembled in Thailand not Japan anymore...so maybe this is why?

If you have any similiar thoughts, please do share this with me... my Wife is saying that I am dreaming and am too attached to my first car... but trust me, after some years driving, you can start to feel the difference...

Thanks,

SW.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The Euro is designed in Britain and manufactured in Japan

Note that the Euro is a sportier Accord so its ride is a bit firmer. But in saying this, I have found that the stock tyres are quite hard. I have Yoko C-Drive on my Euro now and the ride is alot smoother now

I have never driven any other accord so I cant comment any further, but the Euro has proven to be an excellent car for me. Sure the earlier models had a couple of issues (what car doesnt?), but the MMC 2006 model has yet to fail me at all There were three rattles, but they turned out to be Sunglasses in the sunnies holder above, the rear reverse light not put back properly by the tinting dudes, and too many coins in the coin holder on the right lol
    Last edited by EuroDude; 25-06-2006 at 01:02 AM.
    .© ♪

Banned Array
    Car:
    1998 HONDA ACCORD V6-L
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    The Euro is designed in Britain and manufactured in Japan

Note that the Euro is a sportier Accord so its ride is a bit firmer. But in saying this, I have found that the stock tyres are quite hard. I have Yoko C-Drive on my Euro now and the ride is alot smoother now

I have never driven any other accord so I cant comment any further, but the Euro has proven to be an excellent car for me. Sure the earlier models had a couple of issues (what car doesnt?), but the MMC 2006 model has yet to fail me at all There were three rattles, but they turned out to be Sunglasses in the sunnies holder above, the rear reverse light not put back properly by the tinting dudes, and too many coins in the coin holder on the right lol
    Firstly, The Euro is a sportier accord indeed... I've seen your pics and my new car is very similiar... but you gotta take into consideration the year and put it on an equal competitive scale... I have read so much reviews and I have spoke to so many proud owners of the 1998 Accord V6-L and wow, it sure runs so much more smoothier!

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Maybe you guys should have purchased the normal V6 Accord instead

The normal Accord is a more conservative car, more similar to the 98' Accord.

In various ways, the Accord Euro is virtually the Prelude replacement (which are no longer produced).
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaskywalker
    Guys,

I've owned the Honda Accord V6-L since it first came out 8 years ago and paid approximately $50,000 for it at the time, it's got everything - leather interior, wood grain, power eletric everything and rides like a plane - smooth and very luxurious indeed... recently, my Wife and I decided to upgrade and went for the 2006 Honda Accord Euro... despite the various difference in looks, trend and some latest features... I have discovered that for some reason, all in all, nothing beats my 1998 Honda Accord V6-L. The V6-L rides smoother, has fair better handling and is so much roomier... although the new Accord Euro outranks in looks and has some more features inside... I personally feel for what's it's worth all all the hype... Honda's best Accord so far to this day, remains the 1998 Honda Accord V6-L. Does anyone has a similiar car, similiar experiences and thoughts... not to mention, alot of Accord Euro's have been recalled due to various faults... and the Euro's doors are so stiff, uncomfortable seats and the steering is less dynamic than the V6-L...I know it sounds hard to believe... but not all new things are better...and oh, after 1998, most of the Honda rang is assembled in Thailand not Japan anymore...so maybe this is why?

If you have any similiar thoughts, please do share this with me... my Wife is saying that I am dreaming and am too attached to my first car... but trust me, after some years driving, you can start to feel the difference...

Thanks,

SW.
    Good to see some passion out there for Accords A couple of points though, there has only been one recall on the Euro - the boot harness. There have been recalls for your model too. Hard to comment on differences in build quality - both seem to be very reliable cars (at least mechanically).

The Euro is built in Japan. I thought the 98 Accord was build in Ohio, USA? Check under your hood. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Re handling - when you say the V6 has better handling, what has drawn you to this conclusion? I would be surprised if this were the case given the market intentions of the two vehicles are totally different. I would expect the V6 to be a much softer ride.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    you mention that the v6 has better handling, yet also is a smoother ride, these seem somewhat incompatible. I would suggest that due to the larger, heavier engine, the v6 would understeer more.

having driven an accord euro luxury and a v6 accord i would have to disagree - the euro was superbly built, i think the seats were exceptionally comfortable, the leather was not the best in a car ive ever seen, but still of a very high standard. quiet as a mouse on the 16' wheels and overal very luxurious for what it is - a competitively priced mid-sized car.

Banned Array
    Car:
    1998 HONDA ACCORD V6-L

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will
    you mention that the v6 has better handling, yet also is a smoother ride, these seem somewhat incompatible. I would suggest that due to the larger, heavier engine, the v6 would understeer more.

having driven an accord euro luxury and a v6 accord i would have to disagree - the euro was superbly built, i think the seats were exceptionally comfortable, the leather was not the best in a car ive ever seen, but still of a very high standard. quiet as a mouse on the 16' wheels and overal very luxurious for what it is - a competitively priced mid-sized car.

I know it sounds a bit hard to believe... but not all new cars are better built and drives the same... only a true car enthuasiest will understadn this...and I am sure we all are here of course...

Well, the new Accord Euro looks nice but for some reason feels slightly smaller than the V6-L... when turning the V6 despite the 8 year gap feels smoother, softer and makes less noise when hitting the 100 km/h+ region.. I guess for some reason, I prefer the old one better... everything about it feels better... I kinda regret paying 40+G's for mine...

If only all cars are built like the V6-L... does anyone here own a 1998 V6L like mine and can make some comments?

You're making me wanna drive a V6-L haha.

Honestly though, I'd say the differences your noticing between the car have a fair bit to do with post-purchse dissonance (regret) and your love for your previous car. I find it hard to believe that the euro would handle any worse, especially not at the limits or around a track. Perhaps you prefered the smoother, more refined nature of the accord V6-L and the way it handled like a luxury vehicle as apposed to a sportier vehicle?

If anything, just give the accord euro some time and I'm sure it will grow on you. Well hopefully it doe anyway personally i think it's a great car.

Member Array
    Car:
    98/99 v6 accord
    hahahaha represent 6th gen owners of the world....i love my 6th gen,only prob with em i can see is the auto tranny,i cant compare it too a euro cos iam yet too drive one,i do like the look of the euros and tried to con the minister for war and finance into trading our 6th gen for one but she loves the 6th gen too much..good too see another pasionate owner..

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaskywalker
    I know it sounds a bit hard to believe... but not all new cars are better built and drives the same... only a true car enthuasiest will understadn this...and I am sure we all are here of course...

Well, the new Accord Euro looks nice but for some reason feels slightly smaller than the V6-L... when turning the V6 despite the 8 year gap feels smoother, softer and makes less noise when hitting the 100 km/h+ region.. I guess for some reason, I prefer the old one better... everything about it feels better... I kinda regret paying 40+G's for mine...

If only all cars are built like the V6-L... does anyone here own a 1998 V6L like mine and can make some comments?

its not hard to believe at all, i know what you are saying. i would rather drive my integra than say a new excel or other crappy small car.

the specific point i was making was in relation to handling, you said that the v6 handles BETTER than the euro, and I am struggling with this concept, after having driven both the extra weight up front in the v6 is very apparent, i think the euro handles much better

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will
    its not hard to believe at all, i know what you are saying. i would rather drive my integra than say a new excel or other crappy small car.
    lol very true. I drove a newish 2005 Mitsu Lancer ES and it was terribly slow (auto) and the plastics were discraceful - it had that cheap black plastic that you would see on a 1985 car. Even my 1993 civic's interior was of better quality.
    .© ♪

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro 09 Luxury Navi
    I used to own a 1998 Accord although it was the 2.4L 4 cylinder one and I must say I far prefer the Euro in terms of handling, performance and most definitely looks and comfort.

I thought that the '98 was bit soft on the handling like yfin said and a bit 'wallowy'. In contrast, the Euro steering even though stiff (I prefer it this way) it is precise and with the sportier suspension you get a lot more wheel and road feedback which gives you confidence when you want to throw the car around a bit.

Plenty of good acceleration and VTEC on the Euro - and it's a car that wants to get up and go real fast and not lethargic at all

Level of equipment is definitely up - won't say too much here and the looks far outclasses the '98 Accord. - the Euro may well be the successor to the now discontinued Prelude!