Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    5th Gen 'lude

S2K resonator question??

hey guys,

just wanna know if there is any problems with taking out the stock resonator from the stock S2K exhaust????

I like the sound of the s2k, but i wanna get a little more but not going for a full exhaust system. I thought maybe taking out the resonator would make it a bit more louder.

Has anyone done this before????

Any help would be great.

Cheers.
    Last edited by my_honda; 04-07-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    i dont know about that, but u can try taking the stock air box lid off for a bit more sound...it's actually quite a good sound, but only audible in the car after 3-4k rpm.

Though if you feel that it bogs down a bit more in hot weather then its not ur mind, it actually does. upto you!
    2007 BMW M3 Jerez Black/Palladium Silver
    2002 BMW M3 Ruby Black/Black - SOLD
    1999 Honda S2000 NFR/Black - SOLD

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    if u take it out there will be more a droning type sound. it can get very annoying and at times does hurt lol
    you dont want to just take it out tho, ull have to replace it with a 'hot dog' type resonator instead, u still might get the droning

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    IMO its probably not best to start cutting up OEM parts.I thought about doing this a while ago but in the end i went with a new exaust system. This is from S2ki.com from someone who has done this.....

"Ok so I actually had someone else rev the engine for me and do some drive bys. On second observation it was a mistake to remove the resonator. I don't suggest this to anyone. It basicly took the quiet and subtle engine sound that it was before and made it sound like a bit of an angry bumble bee. So after all that it's not a big deal. It doesn't sound bad but it does have a bit of a raspy quality to it. A bit more rice. I will be changing it within the next few months to something that sounds decent. For right now I will have to deal with it.

"http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...tock+resonator

What about removing the cat?
    Any different to power or exhaust tone?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    u could replace the cat with a test pipe, but EPA man might have something to say about it. Most ppls impressions are that there are next to no gains to be made, (3hp max) the car smells, (fumes) sounds like ure running a fart can, and most likely, u'll throw a CEL. I put one on my car one night and drove around for about 15mins (i know not exactly scientific) It wouldnt be fair to comment on performance as the ECU wouldnt have adjusted (i felt none) and i really couldnt live with the sound. I think, "excel with a cannon" was thrown a round a bit, but up top sounded pretty nice.

A few others have been happy with this mod, FI and NA applications, but again other ppl with similar setups reported no gains. If u want the car to be louder for minmum $$$, take the lid off the air box as ROLLED mentioned,it works and its free. Just keep heat soak in mind,.

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    hey whiteAP1, how loud was it with the test pipe? do you know of any sound clips, ie. test pipe & stock exhaust?

Im thinking about removing the resonator now, because i love the rasping rough sound that some cars like the M3 make...if that is indeed the sound that it makes.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    It was too loud. Thats the only way i could describe it. Droning,overbearing and no good for daily driving. But thats just me.

Im not sure if there are any sound clips of the resonatorectomy. Have a look through S2ki.com. I think "angry bumble bee" somes it up nicely.Try it,if u dont like it weld the OEM one back on.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    ROFL@resonatorectomy Good one!!

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    yeah i dont like the idea of smelling exhaust fumes everytime u stop at a light either, i might give thise whole resonator removal thing a go...just have to find a decent shop to do it now!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Its not that hard to do, MR MUFFLER could do a job like this.Just decide on what ud like to replace the stock resonator with. But just think about it, do u really want ure car sounding like a civic with a 4' cannon. U've gone and spent the extra $$$ to buy an S2000, just save up,take ure time and buy a proper exhaust. That was the reasoning that stoped me from going ahead with this. just my 2c

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    goes without saying, but let us know how u go