Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Oil change !

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    OEM spec civic
    ya sand paper trick works alrite ive heard

ok i bought a canvas belt tool today and tryed it but dont got a 1/2 inch breaker bar / wrench but i bought castrol edge 5-30 will that be alrite fully synthetic it says

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice_banger View Post
    ya sand paper trick works alrite ive heard

ok i bought a canvas belt tool today and tryed it but dont got a 1/2 inch breaker bar / wrench but i bought castrol edge 5-30 will that be alrite fully synthetic it says
    Edge 5w-30 will be alright. I've used it a few times. Although it says fully synthetic, it is a hydrocracked mineral oil. That is why it is cheaper than other synthetic oils.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

just some words of advice....

with taking off a oil filter , its best to "CRACK" it from below with a proper oil filter tool. IE 3/4 prog grip or grip chain etc. anything else you risk slipping + scalding from oil or exhaust pipe lol.

Once the filter is slightly loose , jump up , place a drip tray underneath and process to access the oil filter from the TOP of the engine bay. Undo by hand , tip over and drain all excess oil from filter tool.
    and either drop into the bay or slowly pull up. and dispose of

this saves the gush of oil on your arm/hand/face.

I'm feeling proud, changed the oil myself today. LOL

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    OEM spec civic
    just did oil change + plugs , next up power steering fluid + coolant and gear box sigh

so was wondering the current sump plug is stripped , would anyone know roughly how much a new one would be ?

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK
    anyone here done an oil flush? like run through some new no frills/cheap oil and then idle for a min or two then empty and fill with clean feo?
    does it make a difference? thinking of doing one on my next service.
    ||bye bye civic || hello awd turbo ||

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice_banger View Post
    just did oil change + plugs , next up power steering fluid + coolant and gear box sigh

so was wondering the current sump plug is stripped , would anyone know roughly how much a new one would be ?
    You can get magnetic ones on Ebay for $15. delivered, not sure what OEM ones cost.
    Nugget1

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by dahon View Post
    anyone here done an oil flush? like run through some new no frills/cheap oil and then idle for a min or two then empty and fill with clean feo?
    does it make a difference? thinking of doing one on my next service.
    As long as you have been servicing regularly (10000km/6 months maximum), then you don't need to flush the engine with cheap oil. Regular oil changes sort of act as an oil flush. Any particles of substantial size left inside will be caught by the oil filter. If you still want to do it, make sure you buy cheap 5w-30, 10w-30, 5w-40 or 10w-40. Although, I find that FEO is the cheapest. So you'd end up using 2 bottles of FEO for each oil change, which is a waste. You're better off changing engine oil every 3 months instead.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    if your gonna flush just once is good enough. SHould have to do it every time
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    for cheap oil flushing I use whatever is left over from prev oil changes and use it as a flushing oil. And if I don't have enough qty to do that or the leftover oil is too precious for that purpose I buy the Gulf Western 20w50 4L oil from supercheap auto for $9.95 and use that instead.

I only use flushing oil after a dose of solvent based flush additive eg Nulon engine flush to get rid of any left over flush additive trace as it's very aggressive and I won't want any hanging around the engine till the next oil drain. If the engine wasnt really dirty ie sludged up and could do with a bit of a clean I would use a good old fashion diesel oil such as Castrol RX super 15W40 and run that for say 2000-3000km or even till the next oil change at 5000km.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '96 JDM EK4 SiR
    hey guys, i tried looking for the oil filter today, how far inside the bay is the oil filter? can it be accessed using just jack stands?
    and how much of oil do i fill up for B18C2?

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    yes you can access it that way, it's right underneath your intake manifold.

with filter change in your engine it's 4L.