Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

engine dying $9000 2 spare

i have a crx 93, my engine is nearing its end, i had two options in mind. firstly an engine conversion, or turbo another b16a. ive been stressing so any input will be appreciated. thnx

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    dude rebuild it
    forge it up if it's already turboed

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    where r u located dude. theres a guy here in melb who dealts with this stuff all the time, currently working on like 3 engine conversions as we speak in his shop, im sure he would be more than willing to help u out, for a fee of course.
    lemme know if u want the details

i would rebuild but i want more power,
    and im from the south west sydney area

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    with that kind of money, there's no reason you couldn't rebuild it to handle a lot more boost and be as good as new, and turbo it

i've had quotes done, some hav sed 5-7 g's 4 fully rebuilt motor prepared for turbo, then add a turbo kit and the price is way over. anyone hav cost ideas? that would be a help alot

...ZzzzZzzz Array
    Car:
    Pushbike...
    so its not already turbo'd... your going to buy a new engine anyway... i dont know why its gonna cost ou $7k to get engine rebuild...

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    I'd suggest shopping around some more... if they're charging that much, everything in the motor better be way better than stock

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    well in that case.
    build Bottom end pistons with lower head gasket.
    and rest spend on a good turbo kit

how many k's do you have on your current engine ?
    A "light" rebuild / refresh should only cost about $1k or so if you have a daily driver...or ofcourse upwardsof $5k+ if you are doing the internals...(thats IF you intend to turbocharge...)

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    $9000 is a nice amount to play with. I would source a b18CR and wack that in. Using the rest of the money to brakes and suspension.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by [[d a n n y]]
    well in that case.
    build Bottom end pistons with lower head gasket.
    and rest spend on a good turbo kit
    lowering the compression with a headgasket is a horrible idea... if you want to lower the comp ratio, doing so with the pistons is the only way to go. using the headgasket is NEVER a viable option... do some searching on here to find out why if you'd like.

It's also completely pointless if he's rebuilding the bottom end as he'll be using new pistons anyway, which can just as easily be purchased as a lower comp ratio.

I'm not a fan of lowering the comp ratio for a turbo, but if you're going to, at least do it in such a way that isn't going to make the car an absolutely pig to drive.