Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 VTIS

Best coilovers for purely track CRX (ED9)

Hey guys,

just wondering the best coilovers for a purely track CRX.

wont be driven of the streets.

I have read about the tein SS ect and i dont think they meet my demands.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Hard as fwok coil-overs

TEIN RA series are good... but I don't think they make them anymore and I'm not sure what their replacement range is Cusco Zero-2s are ok rates but similar to the HAs and the JIC FLT-A2s... I'd want harder for a track only car Unless you're driving on a pos track like Calder or something
    Don't bother with Flex/SS... the rates are too soft and your car will roll like a fat bitch on track with them.
    On track/good surfaces, springs to resist the roll, on crap surfaces like Aus roads, swaybars instead to resist the roll but not too much of both, otherwise you may find it'll have a negative effect.... crap explanation but if it doesn't make sense I'll write more later when I'm not about to have a nap

Cusco coilovers are dam good. I'm using zero 2's on my EF atm and are fairly stiff even on the lowest setting. If you are going to only be using it for track get the zero 2 R for an eg6 with pillow ball tops of course.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I think Tein RA doesn't have good aborbing ability on the shock and springs are heavy and not "responsive" as the current coilovers available on the market

Not sure about cusco, heard that they are soft too, by increasing spring rate will wreck the handling

KYB is good but doesn't make coilovers for CRX

I am thinking to get zeal since i am very happy about it performances, it will cost over 2k but you'll know it's worth it. If you could afford a Super function then go for it

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    I think you will have to look at DC2 or EG6 coilovers. The range for EF/ED coilovers is very limited. Just keep in mind though that your car is a lot lighter than the DC2's & EG's so your spring rates wont need to be too high. A lot of the Jap coilovers come with very high spring rates.

I am looking at getting some Zeal Super Functions on my ED6 Civic which is a dedicated track car. They are a excellent coilover and are very light, but as mentioned expencive. I have heard good things about Cusco too. I have used HKS Hypermax before and I liked them. Thought they were very good as a street/track car, but I dunno about a dedicated track car.

I think though, if your building a dedicated track car you will have to look at the top of the lines for anything decent. The lower and cheaper coilovers are usually lacking in functions, specs, and are a bit softer for street use. Tein SS defiently wont be good enough for a track car.
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    ontop of a great coilover setup ull need:

*thick front and rear sways
    *front and rear tie bars
    *solid front and rear struts
    *and poly bushings

sort that out and ull have a great sussy setup

as for good coilovers? buddy club, apexi, bilstein, zeal, HKS could be worth investigating. get something with a HIGH spring rate, im talking 12+ lol
    Last edited by CUL8R; 17-07-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Gotta think about the differences between jap and aus road condition too. I think 12-14kg on front and 6-10kg on rear will be enough for a lightweight FF car on the track.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    ohlins.....?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by [ricer]
    ohlins.....?
    Ohlins, Quantum and Kyb are all very good but it's not popular in aus, ppl love tein coilovers here...

what tyre are you gona run? you build ur sus to the tyre ur going to run.
    buy all the branded parts you want, but dont for get about castor, toe, camber settings.
    OZ Most Powerful K Series 279WHP
    101 MotorSport CRX
    Eastern Creek 1:35:1
    QR Clubman 54.7
    OZ Fastest FF

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 VTIS
    most likely will be the Yokohama A032R tyres
    WTB: [SYD] Cheap Gen 2 CRX (or shell)

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by spoondc2
    I think Tein RA doesn't have good aborbing ability on the shock and springs are heavy and not "responsive" as the current coilovers available on the market

Not sure about cusco, heard that they are soft too, by increasing spring rate will wreck the handling

KYB is good but doesn't make coilovers for CRX

I am thinking to get zeal since i am very happy about it performances, it will cost over 2k but you'll know it's worth it. If you could afford a Super function then go for it
    For a proper track car (which are on smooth surfaces so pot holes/abnormal bumps are not a problem anymore), you WANT hard spring rates. The current coil-overs on the market at too soft for a proper track application imo. Most now are below 10kg I believe as the stiffer ones aren't so popular here for obvious reasons.

Increasing spring will wreck handling? Please explain how.

Quote Originally Posted by CUL8R
    ontop of a great coilover setup ull need:

*thick front and rear sways
    *front and rear tie bars
    *solid front and rear struts
    *and poly bushings

sort that out and ull have a great sussy setup

as for good coilovers? buddy club, apexi, bilstein, zeal, HKS could be worth investigating. get something with a HIGH spring rate, im talking 12+ lol
    If you get thick front and rear swaybars with high spring rates, you will see they will have a negative effect, as already the spring is resisting the roll... if you have thick swaybars as well, they will begin to lift the inner wheel which will create loss of traction and pretty much result in a poorly worked out suspension setup...
    But brace everything in the chassis and lose as much weight as possible Sound deadening too (have fun with that ahha)

Quote Originally Posted by spoondc2
    Gotta think about the differences between jap and aus road condition too. I think 12-14kg on front and 6-10kg on rear will be enough for a lightweight FF car on the track.
    Umm this is on track, I think there's a world of difference between Aus tracks and the road... so I'm not sure what you're comparing here? Also didn't you earlier say that high spring rates will wreck handling? So why the 12 to 14kg spring rate recommendation? I hope you're not just saying anything that comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by ONE600
    what tyre are you gona run? you build ur sus to the tyre ur going to run.
    buy all the branded parts you want, but dont for get about castor, toe, camber settings.
    Have a good track setup and good slicks... and that's it I thought? I'm not sure how you can "build" a suspension setup to match the tyres? Care to explain for me?
    And yeah alignment settings are important too so make sure you have all the appropriate bits and pieces to enable proper adjustment... camber and castor are your friends for track, then toe depending on how you like it to react, turn in, exit... etc
    Last edited by aozora; 17-07-2006 at 09:29 PM.