Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda
    My Civic Vtir coupe is 4 years old this year and is mechanically stock, running great. I'm wondering which part would need the first, second etc. replacement? (and the same goes for any other hondas).

I'm asking this, coz it would be the one i'd address first in the process of modifying my car.

In the same token, I'm looking for performance upgrades that keep the longevity of the engine (is there such a thing?).

Your views and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    mechanically i think the first thing you will have to replace (excepting tires, breaks etc) will probably be your timing belt at 120,000kms

the engine in your vtir coupe is a touch mofo, get it serviced redularly and it should see 300,000kms easy ( i service every 5000kms but if you drive nicely and use good oil 10,000 should be okay)

-2ds

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Timing belt is usually the first big replacement. Honda says 80,000, I do mine every 60,000 for peace of mind (120,000????? You're tempting fate there!!!!!).

I do regular oil changes, Oil every 5000kms and filter every 10,000. I use the big genuine filters on my B16A not the small genuine. I use full synthetic oil although the Honda FEO is good too. Never use non-genuine parts, they are inferior.

Currently I have 270,000km on the gen1 B16A in my SiR. No smoke, still has the stock 160ps, no oil use except at persistant 8000rpm usage The car regularly does interstate rns between Sydney and Melbourne.

Mods: reusable airfilter insert (custom made by Finer Filter or Jamex), rest stock. I may do exhaust but that will be it. Stock = longevity - that's my experience after owning and modding Hondas for 19 years. Start modding excessively and you'll have a good short term car (200K km+) but not one that will really go the distance.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

My B16A2 had 316,000kms before i took it out. It was still running fine before i took it out. Just service it regularly, and then you can drive as hard as you like.

timing belt and distributor at 100K... if you are serious engine mounts and sussy bushings...

if you are pedantic (like me)... then your ignition leads, radiator (at about 100K) and that should have your car nice and new and good as new again...

get the car feeling like its just new out of the showroom... i love that feeling hehehehe

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    all my sensors blew at 140 but i have a **** off rare engine :P

Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda
    thanks SETANTA........ "stock = longevity".........i thought so.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda
    thanks fellas!........thanks for all your advise. i've taken it all in.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    last time i checked honda said timing belt at 125,000 have to have another look in my log book.

-2ds

When i bought my DC2 the timing belt had been done at 60,000kms. And that was done at Honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    Falling apart ED
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    Never use non-genuine parts, they are inferior.
    Pete I strongly disagree with this, especially along the lines of oil fliter, fuel, air and bearings.

I have experienced the quality to be equal you will not notice a difference.

But hey, if you like to spend more for the word honda printed on it go for it

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Cut a ryco or other oil filter open and compare it to the guts of a genuine oil filter and you will see a big difference. Fuel filter: likewise - but my car is fuel injected not carb like yours and I won't take any chances. Air-filter - like I said - I use a reusable insert but again, Honda ones for the late hondas are better than the aftermarket paper element. Cost is maybe 1-3 dollars more for most parts. All I know is treat the car right and it will look after you. I don't skimp because in my experience with cars, cutting costs often sacrifices reliability.

Bearings I'll go along with.

Like I said earlier, 170,000 on a hard-driven B16A, I think I might be onto something

Then again, as my girlfriend pointed out (while stirring me), I have an '84 Corolla top radiator hose on the SiR at the moment as cutting one down was the only option when the original died when you are in country Victoria New genuine SiR one is on the way.

Cheers
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX