Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 Black DC2 Vti-r
    How long does it take for a coat of fibreglass to harden before you can apply another coat? I'm assuming a few hours? How many coats do you need to apply? Since it goes into the boot, im assuming you didn't need to bog and sand it up to look pretty?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro lxry
    You made it look easy, lol....well done

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    great work redteg !! nice & clean stealthy install that leaves u lots of bootspace, top stuff *thumbs up*

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    Quote Originally Posted by marcs
    How long does it take for a coat of fibreglass to harden before you can apply another coat? I'm assuming a few hours? How many coats do you need to apply? Since it goes into the boot, im assuming you didn't need to bog and sand it up to look pretty?
    Thanks again for your comments guys!

Hmm, not sure, hehe. It wasn't too long. It would depend on how much hardener you add to the resin, as well as the temperature. I'll go see if the resin tin has any info on it.

I covered the boot floor with the tape/foil, then applied the resin to that with a brush. I then laid strips of fibreglass all over it, and kinda brushed and dabbed more resin on top. By the time I was done with that I added more strips and more resin. It couldn't have been more than an hour after the last bit of resin when I removed the shell and let it cure outside of the car. (I probably added too much hardener)

When I did remove it, the shell was not firm, but I did not want to stink the car out too much and I was worried that some resin may have seeped through the tape and onto the paint.

I'm not sure how many layers I applied, probably 6-8, but I cut the fibreglass mat into strips so that I could overlap and apply it easier.

No need for putty as the aim of the glass is to get a accurate mold of the floor so that it sits in place.
    Too old for bodykits

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 Black DC2 Vti-r
    Awesome. Well I had a look at my boot, no chance of doing a similar install unless i remove the spare

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ACCORD 1994 EXI
    good work

Member Array
    pretty good DIY
    have u had any experience with fibre glass before?

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    That sux marcs. You should post a pic of the boot and see if anyone has any suggestions. I have seen fibreglass boxes made to fit inside the spare tyre... It all comes down to how much boot space you require. Maybe look at making a box to fit in the gap between the tail light and the wheel arch. It'd still be out of the way.

Incoming, this is my first major attempt at glassing. I had done it in Design and Tech at school once, back in the 90's (now not allowed cause of the fumes), and I have made my front speaker baffles, but that's it. I've been installing my own and mate's stereos for several years now, and wanted to experiment with something I used to always throw into the "too hard basket".

Here's some of my old work:

Commodore (Threw the car away, kept the shelf, hehe)

Prelude (Fiancee wanted 6x9's, I didn't dare argue! I also didn't want to cut any metal in the parcel tray. This is curvier than it looks in the pics. I need to fix the grilles on it too but have had no time.)
    Too old for bodykits

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 Black DC2 Vti-r
    It's a gen3 integra, the only space under the floor is the spare tyre. I think i would rather keep the spare tyre in there though so i might just have to make an external sub box. The side between the tail lights and the wheel arch is too small in volume for the sub i have I think.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    You went to all that effort to install a xplod sub?
    Why's your wheel on an angle in the drive way, when clearly you drove straight in to park it there

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    Quote Originally Posted by shebangs
    You went to all that effort to install a xplod sub?
    Why's your wheel on an angle in the drive way, when clearly you drove straight in to park it there
    1) Yes, effort far outweighs equipment in my mind. I wanted great installation and integration, not doof.
    2) Gotta put some effort in for photos too, even if it does mean turning the wheel.
    Too old for bodykits

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    bit of a bump, but that is an AWESOME install it inspires me to try do something like this to my teggy, the spare tyre sticks out like nothing else in the boot and i have a huge sub to fit in LOL