Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 Civic Coupe

Question Timing belt Change

Hey guys,
    Car just ticked over 100,000 kilometres and in the service books it says i should change the timing belt. Does the Honda engine give a warning if the belt is in bad condition or is it catostrophic failure with no warning ? Cause i get no light saying i should change the belt on the engine. The car is a Civic Coupe Vti sohc vtec.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 4DR' 99
    i dont think u get a warning saying that its needs to be done. Just get it changed b4 its too late. I got 150,000 kms. and still havent change my timing belt! hahahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 Civic Coupe
    Civic 99 what engine you got in your car ? Cause i was told i have to change the timing belt and water pump and castor bearing at the same time, so looking at $800 for the service.

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 Civic Coupe
    i think he said tensioner bearing not castor bearing

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    there is no warning light for this.
    Just change it as advised because if you dont and it snaps it could bend your valves which will cost you a fortune to fix!

My belt snapped at 20,000kms over its due date and i was lucky enough not to cause any damage to my engine.

Ensure you get a mechanic experienced with honda's to do this service as i had my local mechanic do mine and he installed it incorrectly which caused my car to ping real bad and i had to reinstall the belt. This would have taken time off my engines life by running it the way it was. I payed $200 for it at the time from this mechanic also.

You guys are going by the amount of km rather than time. My Civic is a '99 and I got it done earlier this year, even though my km was only about 70,000. It's supposed to be 100,000km or 5 years whichever occurs first.

Member Array
    Car:
    b&w eh, blurple ek
    Mate who is doing your timing belt???
    I got my belt done (sohc vtec, 94 VTi eg sedan same engine maybe) and the water pump as well. It cost me $173.95 for both, and you get the tensioner with the belt, you could buy just the belt by itself, but if the tensioner stuffs up, you will have to get a new belt again so it's cheaper in the long run to do both. BTW i got mine from repco, at trade price (10% off) so even if you pay retail it should still be under $200 mark. The brand of the belt was "gates" or something, and that was concidentally the same brand belt that we pulled off the car, and the water pump was 'GFB' or something like that. My pump was fine (ie no leaks) but better to be safe than sorry as if that went the belt would have to come off to do it.

We used a hoist at my bro's work, but we also did my friends VTi-R integra couple of nights later in has garage on stands, so if you have some basic knowledge or have someone who knows a bit do it yourself and save some money.

I do realise that i have a thread about my engine not running at the moment, but that's not because of the belt so please no comments about it. Just my 2c.

Boban

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    There is no dash warning or anything, you just need to follow the service interval recommendations.

Make sure you get a genuine Honda timing belt, you dont want a cheap one that will break and destroy the engine. An aftermarket water pump should be ok as long as its a decent one made in Japan.

If I remember correctly, the timing belt + water pump + labour cost me about $500

The belt can last over 200,000km (my friends EG still has the original belt and has done 200,000km), but its not worth the risk. You dont want a ~$2000 bill to rebuild the engine.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    honda CRX 92vtec
    take ur rocket cover off n have a look at da belt. c if dere is any cracks!!!

Or another idea is wait for it to snap so you can get some DOHC VTEC action happening!

Member Array
    Car:
    honda CRX 92vtec
    lol wat a great idea !

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by NightKids
    Or another idea is wait for it to snap so you can get some DOHC VTEC action happening!
    lol!
    funnily enough this is exactly what i had in mind... tha perfect excuse to upgrade to sum b16a action

but now that i opted for turbo i'm gonna get my belt done cause it's starting to squeak -although ever so slightly and only on starting, and my pump has been 'ticking' for a while now.

more delays on getting the turbo installed!

btw: i got about 125k k's on the clock