Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE

Need some advise !

Hey, as u can see in the intro section (with pics of my car ) im new 2 this forum and am hoping 2 get some good advise !

as seen on my list im looking 2 get some good suspension so i can tackle the twisties a bit better/faster. The car has some good handling abilaty and i would like to see it improved ! ( The car is a 1996 Honda Civic VTI Sedan )

so where do u guys suggest i go and are there any setups, brands or ect to get...

im looking at spending well below the $1 K mark.

thanx in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    thicker, larger, stronger rear sway bar. + rear strut tower bar.
    springs.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE
    thanx for the advise, but would u know or any1 know what kinda prices im looking at and some recomended places 2 go 2 ( in sydney tho )

Do some ringing around and get some prices from suspension places, and other places that sell suspension parts (repco, autobarn, etc). Should be able to get some springs at a decent price. Also have a broswe through the traders section of this forum, I think one/some of the traders sell springs at a decent price.

IMO, if you're after decent handling on a budget, get a set of king springs, and depending on wether you go for the lows, or the super-lows, you may need to get a new set of shocks as well. Just bear in mind that any spring that lowers the car from stock height will put more stress on you stock shockies, as they weren't designed for the shorter travel of the lowered springs. It would be a good idea to get the shocks and springs installed at the same time.

I reckon start off with a set of King springs, and Koni adjustables (reds are quite fine, but save a bit extra and get the yellows). You will need to get the rear guards rolled, and make sure you have bumpstops fitted to help prevent any scrapage. You'll be looking at under $1k to buy a set of Kings and a set of Koni reds. You can then save and install yourself, not a hard job to do - look throught the DIY section, there are some articles in there that detail how you go about it.

From there, get a rear swaybar (18mm should do fine, but if you want more cornering prowess, get a 22mm bar), and a front strut tower brace, and you will have a fairly competent car in the twisties.
    Last edited by DomenEK; 31-07-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    wat they said.
    strut braces + sways +shock/spring combo.

prices vary where and what brand u want.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EF9
    I reckon you're wasting your money spending money on a car trying to make it something it was never designed to do in the first place. After you get your car handling well, where are you going to get the power from to push it into these corners in the first place? You're going to find that your car will be lacking the power and torque to even need start utilising these suspension mods.
    Im not trying to blow your dreams away, but think ahead, you dont want to become one of these people that in a year's time, go and buy an integra vti-r or something better and realise they've wasted money on a car that wasnt all there in the first place.

As for the rear swaybar, it will help but going bigger is not always the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by aznpsuazn
    I reckon you're wasting your money spending money on a car trying to make it something it was never designed to do in the first place. After you get your car handling well, where are you going to get the power from to push it into these corners in the first place? You're going to find that your car will be lacking the power and torque to even need start utilising these suspension mods.
    Im not trying to blow your dreams away, but think ahead, you dont want to become one of these people that in a year's time, go and buy an integra vti-r or something better and realise they've wasted money on a car that wasnt all there in the first place.

As for the rear swaybar, it will help but going bigger is not always the better option.
    Double-you-tee-eff????

The dude wants to get his car handling better, where's the issue in that?? If he wants to "waste his money", that's his prerogative to do so, and who the fvck are you to tell him he should think about something else?

Let me tell you something - spending the money on better springs/shocks, front strut brace, and a rear swaybar/tie bar is going to be money well spent ON ANY CAR, if what you are chasing is better handling. Shifty is after better handling as stated in the first post on this thread, so the suggestions have been made and these aren't crazy suggestions either. These mods are not overly expensive and given he doesn't have a big budget, I think they are more than reasonable suggestions for what he's after.

And a bigger swaybar is definately the better option. Fitted one to your car and noticed the difference?

Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE
    since ill be upgrading cars in a year or so (giving the car to my little brother), i will probably just get some front and rear sway bars and leave the car at that !

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    aznpsuazn, do u even know what ur talking about.

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    I dont think he does, who needs alot of power to push into corners?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    if u want better handling i sugest ek9 front and rear swaybars, struts, and suspension, if ur not a track head something like entry level coilovers like cusco comp-s or tein ss?

Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE
    I'm just gona get some front and rear struts.

The best handling car i have ever been in is my dads MX-5 ! it is the coolest car ever IMO !

1990 MX-5
    1.6 with 140kw @ the fly and only weighs like 900k
    it got struts,sway bars, suspension, semi-slicks... u name it !
    pritty good for a 1.6... shocks most of the skyline,wrx drivers down at the track !