Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by bankids View Post
    i assume all the tooth paste companies riping colgate as they all have a same shape of the tube..the cheap companies should make the toothpaste tube the other way..
    if a company put out a tube of toothpaste that looked nearly identical to the genuine article, but was spelled clogate, and had a few text items changed, you can be guaranteed they would react the same way. Same thing if someone produced a BMW 325 copy, and made the badge say "BWM 352".

Point of the matter is that they don't do the same thing. One will last nearly forever, one will fail in a matter of months to years, and have lots of problems in the mean time. They're cheap because the company sacrafices quality to get a lower price, to produce basically a disposable product.

Anyway, where else to mount it? Anywhere that's not going to get wet basically.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVTi-S&AccordEuroSport

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    if a company put out a tube of toothpaste that looked nearly identical to the genuine article, but was spelled clogate, and had a few text items changed, you can be guaranteed they would react the same way. Same thing if someone produced a BMW 325 copy, and made the badge say "BWM 352".

Point of the matter is that they don't do the same thing. One will last nearly forever, one will fail in a matter of months to years, and have lots of problems in the mean time. They're cheap because the company sacrafices quality to get a lower price, to produce basically a disposable product.

Anyway, where else to mount it? Anywhere that's not going to get wet basically.
    THE BALLAST IS WATER PROOF (" THE CHEAP RIP OFF ONE. don't know about the hella") can drop it in a bucket of water with the light bulb and still can turn on “IN THE WATER”

So just had to make sure it is safe from engine heat for the cables and can take the every day driving shake and sudden stop… if you are very lazy just wrap it with foam mat and stick it in a place that’s snug and would not be heated and can take the shake…

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    A fully potted ballast(the closest you can get to waterproof) can still have issues with water exposure. Yes, I've seen the advertisements where they submerge the ballast and bulb underwater. I've also seen TONS of those ballasts fail due to water exposure.

Member Array
    Car:

Exclamation

A fully potted ballast(the closest you can get to waterproof) can still have issues with water exposure. Yes, I've seen the advertisements where they submerge the ballast and bulb underwater. I've also seen TONS of those ballasts fail due to water exposure.
    Don't know where and what brand you seen maybe hella. but not this one sorry

so don't say things about what you think when is only you think... not Factual
    Last edited by LSD GD3; 23-12-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Have you personally submerged one of your ballasts in water with it fired up?

The masscar hid systems use the Eagle brand hella knock off ballasts, which have an extremeley high failure rate. They seal the hell out of the ballasts so they can claim they're waterproof, which is great and all, but the quality of the product is so poor they fail left and right. The sealant can/has failed in many cases, causing them to be damaged from water exposure... really though, that's the least of your worries.

Member Array
    Car:

Exclamation

Have you personally submerged one of your ballasts in water with it fired up?

The masscar hid systems use the Eagle brand hella knock off ballasts, which have an extremeley high failure rate. They seal the hell out of the ballasts so they can claim they're waterproof, which is great and all, but the quality of the product is so poor they fail left and right. The sealant can/has failed in many cases, causing them to be damaged from water exposure... really though, that's the least of your worries.
    Yes i Have
    And have display at show room in a 8ft fish tank with Fish....

where you get your facts from?

sorry not the same brand and not the same factory...

Sorry i can't say for others but i have not had one Fail and return yet and thats a fact !

And again this is not the Subject for this Title...
    Last edited by LSD GD3; 23-12-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    what company produces the ballasts then?

masscar has used eagle produced ballasts previously
    Last edited by saxman; 23-12-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Yes, I've put my Supervision Brand HID kits into water with power one as well, i'll post pic later tonight or tmr, it works fine, and i didn't cut the power for 1 week unlike the others just put in water for 5 minutes.

the results is after 1 week contiune working, the metal wire was snaped because of the chamical effect between water and very high voltage, but the ballast is still working in my car now. and I felt really free about doing this test due to the very best warranty policy.

Conclution, the ballasts are fully water proof, but don't let the bulb work in water for more than 1 week which i think no one will fill their headlight with water..

yes maybe the ballasts looks not water proof. but they have glue inside of the shell, that's why they are so heavy.
    Last edited by bankids; 28-12-2006 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add a pic

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    Here are some information you guys might want to know about the Philips LVQ-212 and Hella 3rd Gen Ballast

What is the difference between a Philips LVQ-212 and the similar looking Hella gen 3 ballast?
    Operationally and sizewise, they are identical. There are apparently some minor differences inside, but details are currently unknown and are not important. The printed circuit boards inside both units are labled "Hella", and for the untrained eye, all components look the same.

Is the LVQ-212 water and acid proof?
    No. It is designed to withstand light mist of non acid water. Splashes from high pressure washers, big pot holes, heavy downpour with hood open, garden hoses, liquid battery acid and battery fumes will enter the ballast unless protected. In most cases electronic components that are build in will degrade and ballast will intermittant or permanently fail. If water enters ballast overtime, it will create corrosion and eventually a total failure will happen. So if people say is a Philips and submerge it underwater you know is not a Philips ballast. The only OEM ballast that is waterproof is build by Matsushita.

You might want to read this and understand why aftermarket HID is dangerous and illegal

http://www.hella-press.de/search_detail.php?text_id=189&language=e&newdir=en g

The Hella, Philips, Matsushita Ballast cost more then $2XX itself.
    Knock off or not a knock off, you get what you pay for.
    for $250 you cant complaint as an OEM HID kit cost around $800.

Last edited by civiceg9; 07-01-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    don't forget the auto leveling system and self washer and the projector, the total cost of a legal HID system might cost over $3000.