Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 Honda Civic VTi

oil in 2006 civic

hi all,

just wondering what type of oil goes into the 2006 civic?

im looking at changing my oil in the first 200 kays (before the scheduled one) and i wanna make sure i get the right stuff...?

this will be the first honda i have ever owned so sorry for the stupid question(s)....one more i promise

does honda sell spare parts to the public? where?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    there is a new special oil made for the 06 civic.
    it is aviable from honda, but i don't know what the difference is from that, to other oils, all i know that it's specifically made for the 06 civic

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 Honda Civic VTi
    is this suitable for the run-in period though?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Aren't you supposed to run your engine in on the original oil for a longer period than 200 km?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Aren't you supposed to run your engine in on the original oil for a longer period than 200 km?
    yes, i think thats true, and as for that special oil crap

lol, its prob some marketing scam so honda can charge u an extra $50 per serivice for teh "special oil" lol
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    MY06 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by krogoth
    yes, i think thats true, and as for that special oil crap

lol, its prob some marketing scam so honda can charge u an extra $50 per serivice for teh "special oil" lol
    I think the technical term for this is "snake oil".

Whatever your owners handbook says - stick with that. I wouldn't fvck around with stuff on a brand new car.

first 200ks?? change oil? wtf? are you mad... first service is 1000km - in which case honda will change oil and test car for issues.

are you going to do oil changes every 200ks now? don't waste your time

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Vti
    Honda didn't change my oil for my 1st 1000k service, only after I requested for it. Have to wait another 1/2 hr for it. Car felt much better after oil change, but upon looking at the sticker on my windscreen, its castrol magentac 10-40. So, not too sure what they put in there. Honda Special oil or just bloody cheap castrol off the shelf?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 Honda Civic VTi
    no, i wouldnt change the oil every 200k's.

The first 50 kays or so is where the engine has shed most of the fine aluminium shards, this is why they get you to change at 1000k the first time...to get rid of the crap...

thing is, if you follow the honda reccomended service they wont change the oil till the aluminium filings are well and truly part of your engine...

have a read of this.. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezmoz
    Honda didn't change my oil for my 1st 1000k service, only after I requested for it. Have to wait another 1/2 hr for it. Car felt much better after oil change, but upon looking at the sticker on my windscreen, its castrol magentac 10-40. So, not too sure what they put in there. Honda Special oil or just bloody cheap castrol off the shelf?
    Probably castrol magnatec. My dealer used the same oil. Next time if you want the Civic oil or any other oil, buy it from the shop or the spare parts department, call to make a booking and tell them that you are bringing your own oil. On the day of service, leave the oil on the passenger footwell (or seat if you dare).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 Honda Civic VTi
    hrmm...magnatec is semi-synthetic, cant be too good on a car that is still being run in...

im not sure what im gonna do, my car comes t/m but there is no way in hell im going to wait till 10,000 kays to change my oil!

edit: just spoke to honda servicing, the mechanic said they put magnatec (10w-40) if you request an oil change at 1k. The honda genuine oil is 10w-30SL. He said the "smei-synthetic" oil should be fine but not to use full-syn...

i believe there are a few mineral oils that are rated at 10w-30-40 so might go with that.
    Last edited by oms; 08-08-2006 at 03:11 PM.