Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Williams driver lineup for 2007...where is Webber going?

WilliamsF1 is pleased to confirm that it has concluded its driver line-up for the 2007 season and has appointed Alex Wurz and Nico Rosberg as the team’s race drivers.

The Wurz/Rosberg pairing is the perfect driver combination to spearhead the team’s shift to Toyota power in 2007, with both the technical challenges and the opportunities this transition presents.

Commenting on today’s contract confirmations, WilliamsF1’s Team Principal, Frank Williams said, “2006 has been a pretty tough season so far and all three of our drivers have proved to be enormously resilient and committed. However, we are seeing the beginnings of a performance upswing which we are determined to maintain. Together with our recent announcement regarding our Toyota engine partnership, we are starting to put in place some of the cornerstones of a competitive team for the rest of this season and into the future.”

In relation to Alex’s appointment, Frank said, “Alex brings us important technical continuity and understanding of the car and as well as being an excellent communicator with our engineers, he is ultra-competitive during the Friday ‘full tank’ practice sessions. Alex will be a great racing driver for us as he is one of the few men I have seen in a wheel banging confrontation with Michael Schumacher and come out on top!”

Williams continued, “Retaining Nico for next year was not a tough decision. He has shown great promise so far in his debut season and I know he will build on this with every race.
    As much as taking great pleasure in confirming Alex and Nico for next season, I must also commend Mark Webber for his contribution to the team over the past two seasons as he has been a credit to himself and Williams and has never let up in his pursuit of competitive success. I know Mark will give his all until the end of the season and we wish him well in his future arrangements.”

Alex Wurz responded to his appointment with delight. “My natural habitat is racing, so I couldn’t be happier to have received Williams’ vote of confidence for this job next season. Of course I know the team well having been a part of the race programme at every Grand Prix this season, but now my role takes on additional responsibility and I am really looking forward to this.”

For his part, Nico Rosberg said, “Stability and continuity are very important for me in the early stages of my Formula One career, so I am really pleased that we are now set for next year and that I will continue to work with Alex. I have learnt a lot from the team and I hope I have contributed my fair share too, but now we have the basis to step it up for the remainder of this season and next.”

Press release
    Williams
    Where is Webber going? Hopefully to Renault, McLaren, or Ferrari!

not ferrari

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    5 bucks on renault
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

I'd say possibly even BMW. They already know him well from his first year at Williams therefore JV may retire.

Ferrari, depending whether Schumi retires or not he would be a good replacement.

McLaren, possible if Kimi leaves.

Renault most likely as he is managed by Flavio.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    well it seems he is either gonna get into a team worse or better..
    nothing of the same caliber

kinda exciting though... knowing that he is gonna change teams.. or in the worse case.. not get a drive

I think there is the possibility of no drive cause in the paddock, most teams have settled down right? Contracts are only been going for a little while so I doubt there will be much driver movement
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    well renault have a seat open.. *fingers crossed* to hell with Williams!! bunch of n00bs drop their most talented driver! *throws Williams F1 cap to the ground*

To me it has to be Renault.

Raikkonen is so tempted to move to Ferrari or Renault due to their performance and reliability. However Ferrari has Schumacher and therefore Kimi won't go there in 2007 but more possibly 2008 as the no.1 driver.

However due to the current slump form of Renault, Raikky will be reconsidering his position with McLaren vs Renault for 2007. That is where Webber fits in (and he did hint that Renault will take Kimi over himself, its a no brainer).

That means McLaren and Renault is waiting for Raikkonen to decide.

If Raikkonen says with McLaren, Webber will definitely go to Renault rather than Kovalainen with not much F1 experience. If Raikkonen goes to Renault, whether McLaren will pick up Webber is an open question, as they already have 1st driver alonso and so they could use Pedro de la Rosa or even Lewis Hamilton.

And I'm not surprised if Red Bull wants to poach Massa since he has a lot of Ferrari knowledge to bring with him

Actually how about Webber going to Ferrari lol..

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    i heard red bull was shaping up as the favourite... damn really hope he gets picked up by mclaren or renault obviously

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    Quote Originally Posted by tRipitaka
    5 bucks on renault
    make that 10 on renault

After Friday practice in the press release they asked Mark who does he think will win the WDC this year, he said "I hope Renault and Alonso do"

To what Button said "Well, now we know where your going next year"
    Webber just giggled abit.

I would want to go to Red Bull Racing.
    Lots of cash, and a car designed by Adrian Newy.
    He has a drive, just a matter of time finding out where.

I think Kimi is the most interesting one, Schumacher has signed another 2 year deal (apparently) and Massa is a great backup driver.
    Unless Kimi has signed a deal already I'd be packing shit if I were him.

Yeah agree with you LUD02C .... Red Bull Racing is going to be one of the biggest budget teams, and Adrian Newy should give them a competitive car..

I think Briatore has self-centred reasons to ask Webber to be released out of Williams.

It is quite possible that Schuey MIGHT just retire if he pulls off WDC this year, so if that's the case Schuey can't decide until much later. Raikkonen will then head straight to Ferrari, not via Renault for a year or 2. Either that or Raikkonen just haven't decided yet by himself whether to Ferrari/Renault/McLaren next year.

As such, if Alonso has already been poached... and Raikkonen is taken by rival teams - who else on the market is NEARLY as good as Alonso/Raikkonen/Schuey? Obviously that guy will be Webber.. the fact that he's a soft guy plus managed by Briatore means Webber was manipulated out of Williams so that Webber plays 2nd fiddle to join Renault after Raikkonen.

Red Bull, I think might also be interested in Webber/Renault engine deal, but Klien isn't actually that bad he's just had a lot of bad luck in 2006... so Red Bull could go both ways too?

I just don't really believe Renault will let Kovailanen be no.1 driver considering Fisichella isn't really good enough? And Kova doesn't have F1 competition experience, yet... too risky?

Anyway, Webber will by dying to join Renault - RELIABILITY....!!!