Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best guage type

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2R

best guage type

i got a dual pillar mount 4 my civic cxi, 1 to hold my 60mm tacho and i got 1 hole spare to mount another guage. just wondering which guage would be the most helpful, im not worried about it looking fancy and moving up n down all the time.

if it helps, im planning to do a d16 vtec head swap in the future n just mild mods.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    MX83 cressida
    Dude... seriously... unless ur gunna throw the thing round a track at redline all the time, i think a clock would be about the most helpful thing you could jam in there!!

This clock you speak of,

Would this increase performance?

Do you think I should install a digital or analogue

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Come on ppl, keep things on topic!!
    If i was to get another guage, id get an air/fuel meter.
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiz_EG6
    Dude... seriously... unless ur gunna throw the thing round a track at redline all the time, i think a clock would be about the most helpful thing you could jam in there!!
    k buddy since u can read my mind and know that im not gonna put it on the track ever. maybe some helpful advice instead ........or does the question require abit too much brain power for u

Don't get an "AirFuel Meter", since it will no doubt be narrow-band, therefore, a flashing lights display. Since you are only doing mild mods, you won't need a wide-band.

Get a vacuum gauge or something. They are always fun to look at when driving around.

Something more useful maybe oil pressure and temperature.

But on a stock motor, they are pretty useless and ricey. But if that's your bag, then go nuts.

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    boost gauge :P nah seriously, oil temp/pressure or possibly water temp (these are not the same as the standard one) wood prob be ur best bet for monitoring ur engine...

Yeah get the above if you thrash your car or anything. If your car's anything like mine and you have a sound system which eats your battery, get a voltmeter.
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Member Array
    The stock dash has a water temp so you don't need that, clock on the radio so you don’t need that either, and unless you have a big system on a stock electrical system you don’t need a volt meter (It’s not bad but other gauges are more useful.). The most helpful will be the oil pressure and a vacuum gauge. Most problems while driving can be checked with the water temp, oil pressure and vacuum gauges. That's just my $.02USD!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    volt meter is wat you should get if you going to have a cranking audio setup
    i ran my battery flat listening to music with mates in a carpark late one nite
    thank god there were jumper leads in another car
    CXi POWER

Member Array
    An amp meter will show you the draw, the radio will just start to skip, get quieter, etc. as the voltage drops and the volt meter won't help if you are standing outside the car. Also if you drain the battery it may still show 12+ volts but not have the amps to do anything when called upon. Plus a lot of cars have a built in voltage guage in the guage cluster.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    this is a serious question:

does your stock Dash have a tacho built in??

if it does: don't spend your money on 'ANOTHER' rice tacho because you don't need two. Install some sensible oil pressure and oil temperature gauges for track work or a water temp. If you don't have a tacho, install a small one somewhere visible and still install an oil temp/pressure water temp on your pillar. Try and listen to your motor as well, learn when its about to hit redline! I drove my gfs B18C EG and never hit redline as I listened and knew probably down to 500 rpm before redline when to change. don't rely on gauges... listen to the car!

Slow96GSR: i'll agree that a stock water temp does the job, but so does the oil light in 'street' conditions. I installed a water temp as one of my gauges on the pillar, and had a little leak on the radiator top tank. One day, my gauge reading shot past 100 degrees while my stock dash one didn't even move... save me an expensive engine rebuild.