Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    Hmmm

1G CRX/3G Civic - Handling set up

Hey guys, long time no postin...

Just wondering whether its worth making these old things handle? How do the compare with later models with IRS? I love them cos of how lightweight they are... I know there the MUgen Motul Si (thx GT4) and I've been looking at redpepperracing.com.... but I want to know from the people that actually drive them... SNSTR (how do you spell that lol).

Thanks guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    03' GD3->05' GD3->86' EW5
    I can tell u that it's got potential!!. As long as you can find the right part.. you can hardly find a car this light nowaday and the driving feel is excellent. none of the modern cars can compare with it (too light). i bet sinistr will tell u the same thing

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    Sinistr's GENONE is pretty much kept in cotton wool but he has 2 other possible track-whores in the works. I personally think that they would be more throwable through the corners moreso than the ED's/EF's. But I'll confirm this when I get one myself.

ps: I'm loving your avatar modcon. I have nothing but love for the ED3...(care to send me the original pic?)

Banned Array
    Car:
    Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by SlobberGoat
    Sinistr's GENONE is pretty much kept in cotton wool but he has 2 other possible track-whores in the works. I personally think that they would be more throwable through the corners moreso than the ED's/EF's. But I'll confirm this when I get one myself.

ps: I'm loving your avatar modcon. I have nothing but love for the ED3...(care to send me the original pic?)
    Lol.... i already pinched the avatar myself... so don't have the full picture. EDs/EFs prolly my fave gen, although i'm looking at the 3rd gens now too, as a first car.

I'm planning on getting one to set up as a daily driver; with such a light kerb weight you don't need heaps of power- although I wouldn't mind swapping in efi- prolly the brown top ZC. The hard part is finding engines? Or should I be speaking to wreckers?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    hey ModCon.

i'll be honest... GENONE handles like a BOAT compared to my gen2 but thats simply because its got no suspension changes done, its completly stock with Koni Red front shocks and even rides on same damper as stock..

BUT... in saying that these things CAN handle brilliantly when some money is thrown the suspension way.

Being an old skool - non spring over coil front end setup, they don't behave like an ED/EF but can just as well - and as you guys said - weight is on their side.

Thicker and lowered torsion bars on the front, adjustable damper front shocks and lowered rear springs/shocks - couple braces and damn ... those will HANDLE sweetly as!

my friend Adam used to run his little 83 CRX (Im currently the new owner of that car as of wednesday nite)... and that thing is lethal around corners... just like a gokart...

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    definatelly speak to wreckers - plenty of old ZCs around the place. Keep an eye out on the forums, but also try www.strongforhonda.co.nz. The guys there have ZCs as well and from memory you can get one shipped from NZ (JDM ZC) for about 1K including customs/taxes etc (perhaps cheaper).

Altho when buying a 3rd gen civic or 1st gen crx try getting an EFi one... save you quiet a bit on the modification from carby to Efi side.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Hmmm
    Were there any efi equipped civics from that gen in aus? I've seen efi crx's but not civics... I'll have a look at strongforhonda and prolly hondwreck as well- anyone dealt with them?
    I've found a 87 civic for bout 600, so i think i'll have some left over for handling; the cars currently done about 250000 Ks, so a new engine mightt be in order sometime soonish to meet my expectations

Can you help me out with torsion bars... How do they work, where do i get thicker n lower ones?

My plan = stripped down, modded sussy and wider tyres... mmmm

oh and does the ZC swap in easily? I am slightly confused by what can be swapped and what cannot be... I don't think I want to buy a mounting kit for a cheap car, although if I have to I'm happy to convert carby to efi (learning experience!)
    Last edited by MoDCoN; 04-08-2006 at 05:40 PM.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Whiteline used to have an excellent setup for these cars as I recollect. Made them handle on rails.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Banned Array
    Car:
    Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    Whiteline used to have an excellent setup for these cars as I recollect. Made them handle on rails.
    really? that great cos i was going to go to them anyway... maybe i should speak to trav... hmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    just as u can make anything fast as long as you have money,
    same rules apply. itll handle just as good as long as you have plenty money.
    although brand/type of suspension you buy is important also.

which cars handle best in stock form is a different story.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EF9
    you will be looking at changing all suspension bushings if you want it to be a thorough job. the labour and parts of this will set you back a lot in addition to the setup itself. something to keep in mind.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTR
    hey ModCon.

Thicker and lowered torsion bars on the front, adjustable damper front shocks and lowered rear springs/shocks - couple braces and damn ... those will HANDLE sweetly as!
    where bouts can i get thicker and lowered torsion bars? i'm having the hardest time finding any
    You never go ass to mouth!