Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic cxi
    Why would it not be pheasable to turbo my 99 cxi??
    Obviously there are more powerful civics out there but i'd just like to keep my car and do it up gradually ... What are your suggestions.
    If it's not Pheasable Why?? And if anyone could help with suggestion on what i can do to get a few more ponies it would be muchly appreciated!!
    i already have a 2.25inch exhaust with lukey muffler ....would extractors and pod filter help??

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Is that the d16y4? Know a guy on another forum running one boosted. Goes well, 100kw@wheels on 8psi with leaking valve seals.
    It can be done, for about 5-6k a shop may do a light conversion for u (around 8psi).. Then u can built the bottom end up and push some more air into it for some big numbers.. ppl will say engine swap this, new car that, but if u wanna be unique and try some boost, their is no doubt a way...
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 EK1 Civic Vti[R.I.P]
    yeah breather mods would help, it would sound really fast, also lowering your car plays its part, for that engine dont expect a miracle after all those mods, but if your gonna boost your car, it really depends on ur budget. there are many things to consider...

suggestions:
    * [Budget] save your money, weekly, fortnightly whatever
    * [if u dont work] ask mum & dad or sell the good shit.
    * [if you work] take a loan, knowing you are able to address the amount you are borrowing.
    * define exactly wat you are after from your car ie. hobby, cruizer, sleeper etc...

impluse desicions may stuff you up at some stage...

but after all that, a boosted B16A, with big some ass brakes would be nice for street use... and decent suspension etc... but like i said it comes down to CASH MONEY!!! loans are fo suckas... :|

wats ur purpose for your car anyway? just curious :roll:

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    The big killer is insurance as you fall into two new categories: heavily modified (and yes, they'll pick up the fact that you havent done the brakes etc to match the new output) and turbocharged. If you are under 30 then expect to pay far too much, considerably more than you are now.

This is why it's better to sell what you have and for the price of turbocharging etc, get a 118KW VTiR.

There was a turbo'd CXi in one of the Honda mags, looked like it all worked a dream, but if you have to save for the turbo etc then how are you going to save for insurance?

Damn I'm sounding like an old fart :?
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

How much does it cost to engineer a n/a -> turbo setup? Properly? around $6,000 plus? Might as well buy a new car.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Thats a good ballpark figure to do it properly. It doesn't really factor in things such as upgraded brakes and suspension - brakes being the top priority.

Hence the "sell and get a VTiR" approach
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

That's right. Spend your money wisely and get a Vti-R. Economical, reliable and insurable. Unless you plan on building the motor and take no short cuts in turbo charging, my suggestion is stay NA.

Dave wants you to stay na so that he can drag you off at the lights, lol.

nah only joking, if you wanna turbo give us a call, 0419538730. we've done a few turbo hondas
    OzH$%O is not a gang, it is a way of life.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Why sell it and get a VTiR? He said he wanted something fast :P
    Insurance is surprisingly cheap when u have some NCB under ur belt. eg i was quoted 1,500 for a turbo EG from justcars on 45% in sydney, male, 20.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic cxi
    Hey thanx for ya suggestions people(Tryin to be politically correct)
    I do appreciate ya comments cause i know you guys would deffinently know about this shit!
    Personally i love turbo but as you guys have said it's prob not the best option for my car ....which i agree with ..... i think that if i did want a super dooper performance car ....(A) I wouldn't be buying a civic
    I bought the civic because i love the look, theres just so much you can do with them!!
    So yeah i highly doubt i will be goin for a turbo!! Just not needed i guess for my sorta drivin, i was just sorta intreagued by it seeing if it was pheasable!
    Thanx heaps guys ...

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG5 with JDM B16
    man for like $4,000 you can go B16A Swap with some tuning work done that will blow away a turbo CXi.

though having said that, we had a member - Chun Kie - who had 260HP at the wheels from a Turbo D16Y1 SOHC VTEC - but that had been built from the ground up to take this kind of power.

my vote is go the N/A swap to a B16A if you just like the look of the civic.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Jazz VTi
    It wont work because the NA engines are too highly compressed.

NA engines are high revving engines compared to the turbo engines which are high load engines.

Compression ratio in a decent NA car is something like 12:1 to get the power, especially at low rpm.

On a turbo car the compression ratio is very low comparatively, something in the lines of 8:1, when boost is added into the equation then it would still be safe with the load of the engine. We are speaking on pump juice by the way, none of this AV gas or nitro.

The main issue I would be worried about is adding a turbo, wether that be low or high boost is detonation, imagine putting a snail to a engine running 12:1 compression, piiiiiiiiiiiiiiing BOOM!.

You would need to spend some serious money here and getting the head worked, bigger gasket, bore it out bigger and forged internals. You are trying to lower the compression ( thus losing out on bottom end torque ) and the forged internals is to be able to cope with the high load.

Alot of serious money here, not worth it for bang for bucks.