Member Array
    Car:
    Civic

Engine oil DC2 VTIR

Ok I bourght Mobil one 5w - 50 fully syn oil for my teg today. When i got home I realised the honda FEO oil I usually put in is 10w - 30. Whats the difference between 5w-50 and 10w-30?.
    Is the 5w-50 ok to put in my B18C?? Or should I take it back and get 10w-30?
    Whats the preferred mobil 1 choice for a VTIR, 5w-50 or 10w-30????

Thanks

ps. I searched and couldnt find any info compareing the 2...

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    ide stick with the mobil 1 coz its fully synth and im pretty sure the honda FEO is only semi-synth. that and ive heard the honda stuff is only made by castrol neway. the numbers are to do with the viscosity and also have to do with the temperatures that it can safely operate in so a 5w-50 shood be fine. u can confirm this in ur owners manual tho. ive seen it mensioned that a larger range (eg.5w-50) equals more additives but im not sure how tru that is...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    do a search, its been ask heaps of times.
    Honda engines are high rev engines
    5w-50 would be alittle thick, may use a bit more fuel but it should be fine for your engine. I recommand the next step up for abit more engine protection 10w-40, 5w-40 or 0w-40.

Check here
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ght=Engine+Oil
    Last edited by civiceg9; 12-08-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    ok thanks guys.
    Next question - does anyone know if Super Cheap Auto will exchange this for the 10w-30 plus i pay the extra???

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If it is not opened, Super Cheap will give you a refund. Just tell them you bought the wrong viscosity and want to change for the 10w-30 since it is not opened. I even returned hex keys of the wrong size for cash!

BTW, since your car has been running 10w-30 all this while, stick to 10w-30. Mobil1 is good. Your engine might be louder, but that's what I've read from other people who use mobil1. The only reason to go to a higher viscosity on a honda engine is if it is very old and burning oil.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

yes they exchange oil not a problem. Mobil 1 comes in 10 30 as well, but it costs more. try and stay closer to the 10 30 viscosity range
    blah blah blah

atm im using 10w-30 on my dc2r...
    went to hanny's and one of the guys there recommended that i try 5w-50..

so i guess. either one should b fine for the b18c

With hondas, esspecialy vtec's i would recomend using FEO, 10w-30 SJ. But dont get me wrong 5w-40, or 5w-50 wont hurt your engine, as long as u change your oil frequently. 10 000 or 5 000 if u drive it hard. and as for the different rating of oil the first numbers indicate cold oil viscosity and the last number is when the oil is hot. so the lower the number the thinner the oil and therfore less engine wear when your car is started up cold. and the higher the number the more heat it can take before loosing its viscosity. and FEO is also cheaper than other oils.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Ok I bourght Mobil one 5w - 50 fully syn oil for my teg today. When i got home I realised the honda FEO oil I usually put in is 10w - 30. Whats the difference between 5w-50 and 10w-30?.
    Is the 5w-50 ok to put in my B18C?? Or should I take it back and get 10w-30?
    Whats the preferred mobil 1 choice for a VTIR, 5w-50 or 10w-30????

Thanks

ps. I searched and couldnt find any info compareing the 2...
    Anyone uses Elf 5w-40 here?

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    I use Mobil 1 5w-50w and have done for the past few years in my old car also, but considering changing to Mobil 1 10w-30w not because of any problems but I just want to try it, but $75/5 Litres. As the engine gets older and worn then consider thicker oils.