Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Euro on LPG ???

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 03 Lux
    I will not change over a pre-made petrol car that has had extensive R & D for a $2000 gas change. It just doesnt work.

My mate- runs his a small fleet of cars- and has done the exchange from Pertol to gas- ( you still retain petrol).

Now hes taking FORD to court for a factory LPG Lemon car he bought. - though he may not get very far- its the principle.
    Definately a short fix-. Extreme inconvienience when (and it will) break down.

all i have to say is forget the cheap crappy carby lpg systems spend the extra get a decent PRINS gas injection system and a decent piggy back ecu. instant 106ron rated fuel = more power. its alll in the tuning ppl. turbo's love lpg and yes they dooo burn cleaner theres no oil, on the down side if u got a motor with crappy heads u get valve seat recession.

Quote Originally Posted by urtwhistle
    all i have to say is forget the cheap crappy carby lpg systems spend the extra get a decent PRINS gas injection system and a decent piggy back ecu. instant 106ron rated fuel = more power. its alll in the tuning ppl. turbo's love lpg and yes they dooo burn cleaner theres no oil, on the down side if u got a motor with crappy heads u get valve seat recession.
    interesting... still not sure how good running gas would be for the engine?

does the government subsidy cover a gas injection system?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaso
    What is bad about the government offering $2000 for LPG conversions...? Its not as if your forced into it or anthing. It also creates more employment/work for those involved in the fitment of LPG systems.
    It's not that it's bad. It doesn't really help a lot of people, does it?
    I pay my share of tax and I have a right to complain if I don't benefit from it while others do.

Perhaps because they have a large number of people or large people to carry. How often is your boot packed to capacity annyway???
    Another person who doesn't make sense when they say things.
    How many people pack their boot space 100% of the time? However, you do need the space from time to time and LPG gas bottle isn't removable on demand, is it? Geez... the way people think...

I doubt LPG conversions would really have much effect - theres definatly demand in the used car market for LPG converted cars, buying one that is alrady converted saves people the time and money of doing it themselves.
    I doubt there will be much demand for LPG converted Euros or any other up-market car for that matter. Try Falcon or Commodore next time.

Or perhaps its becaused theyve been disadvanted, or not had the oppertunity to be educated...having a tax break on petrol is only going to encourage more petrol usage, which is the last thing the goverment wants.
    Who are you kidding? Australia has one of the best welfare systems in the world which is why the income tax rate is so bloody high. 99% of the time, if you try, there is always a way to be educated in Australia. They only have themselves to blame for their misfortune and I don't sympathise.

Yeh but $(100) of LPG will still get you further than ($100) of Petrol.

Just my thoughts
    Well, things are starting to mount against this brilliant subsidy, aren't they?
    As people say, LPG price will probably go up rapidly, LPG doesn't last the distance, initial outlay of conversion, warranty issues and the list goes on.
    Besides, it's not something that can be easily reversed if you think you made a wrong choice.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6MT
    Not every government scheme or grant is going to benefit everyone. If government funding goes to a hospitol are you going to complain just because you dont use that hospitol...?

There is demand for new and used LPG cars weather they are new or used. I know about three guys that run their falcons (Fairmont Ghias {Top of the line} RRP from $52,860 + onroads) on LPG. Someone else I know bought an LPG converted nissan patrol for $70, 000+. (Is $70, 000+ upmarket???)

The bottem line is that the LPG grant is a generous offering designed to help those who beleive they may benefit from a conversion of their vehicle to LPG. Of course its not going to benefit everyone...

Member Array
    Car:
    3RD Gen prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by coladuna
    John Howard must be a stupid idiot if he thinks the government rebate on LPG conversion will help many families. How many people would seriously consider putting a freaking gas bottle in their boot, losing a significant part of boot space? What about resale value? Probably wouldn't matter if it's a beaten up Falcon/Commodore, but I highly doubt many people would even consider buying a second-hand Euro that's been converted to run on LPG. It would no doubt have effect on the resale value.
    It's ridiculous he came up with a package that only benefits people who are willing to turn their beloved car into a frankenstein-mobile.

I certainly wouldn't convert my WRX to run on LPG and wouldn't do it to Euro if I still had it. If I could no longer afford to fill up the tanks, I'd rather sell the car and downsize.
    This is true to a point, most people cannot afford the $3500 up front for a conversion and then wait around for the $2000 rebate.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    The bottem line is that the LPG grant is a generous offering designed to help those who beleive they may benefit from a conversion of their vehicle to LPG. Of course its not going to benefit everyone...
    True, true. But I can see Coladuna´s point too - why shouldnt he benefit with the cost of running a WRX or us with a Euro? This scheme disproportionately helps people with gas guzzling V8s and SUVs. We should be providing incentives to encourage people to move away from such vehicles.
    Last edited by yfin; 16-08-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6MT
    Just to stir the pot abit: (Rather contradictory to what im saying):
    They say timing is everything. Only a month ago, poor old Special Minister of State Gary Nairn popped into the postbox a letter refusing a request from Labor's Jennie George for the Government's car fleet to be converted to LPG on the grounds that the fuel was not "readily available in all regional and rural areas".

"In addition, mandating the use of LPG fuel for all Australian Government vehicles would be inconsistent with the Australian Government's recent support of the use of ethanol-blended fuels and be contrary to existing industry development initiatives," he said. But then that naughty Prime Minister had to go and ruin that defence by offering motorists $2000 subsidies to convert to LPG as the centrepiece of his energy package on Monday. Rats!

Sprung, Nairn first blamed the advice of his department yesterday, then mused on how quickly things can change in energy policy, to cries of "Since July?" from Labor. "The whole world of energy has changed dramatically, even since July, it has, absolutely," he offered limply.
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=19323&vf=2

However, just to give you an idea on facotry quoted fuel economy figures...:

WRX - 10.9L/100km (Combined)
    Toyota Landcruiser Prado - 13.2L/100km (Combined)
    Toyota Landcruiser TD - 11.1L/100km (Combined)
    Lexus RX350 (Awesome 203kw V6) - 11.2L/100km (Combined)
    Holden Commodore Omega - 10.9L/100km (Combined).

www.carsales.com.au

I dont reckon those SUV's and the Omega are that gas guzzling...considering the size of them.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    I was more thinking V8s. Even the new Commodore V8 has a combined figure of 14+ on the front window. Real world figures can also wildly vary so it is not easy to always follow quoted consumption figures. I wonder whether Prado and Rx350 owners could achieve 13.2/11.2 around town...

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6MT
    I doubt they would, but if you can afford to buy any three of those 4wds I dont think you would be worrying to much about the price of petrol (or diesel).

True the Commodores LS2 V8 is quite thirsty, but it accelerates the commodore to 100 in 5.4 seconds...in auto...which is pretty good considereing you only have to fork out 4*, 000k. Most people who buy V8's (WRX's etc etc) tend be car enthusiasts, which is why they bought the car in the first place. And are aware of additional costs such as higher insurance, premium, or extra fuel use.

Does anyone here run their Euro or any other car on LPG??? If so what do you think of it?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Those numbers while are the ones quoted from the EPA fuel consumption tests, are not realistic and is usually not achievable in real life conditions. I remember reading a Commodore SS review (VY) and they got 17L/100km in testing on the open road and a bit of city. Wheels took the RX-8 onto the freeway and recorded 13L/100km (if I remember correctly) as well. EPA tests are usually under low load cruising conditions. Real life however include hills, overtaking and traffic lights.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    A friend visted the United States recently. He commented that many motorists in the USA were (like here) were complining about the cost of fuel.

Petrol is approximately 78c US per litre or $1.00 AUS per litre atm.

Rather then focusing on how to use LESS fuel, in general public sentiment was more focused on how to crank up the oil reserves in Texas again to provide extra supply.

Diversifying fuel types and extending LPG usage is good but not the whole solution. A total reorientation of the value we place on oil and fuel in general is required now.

Thanks for the info whoever posted it on suitability to Honda engines very interesting.
    Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent..... 14% of people know that.

"Ah, my beloved, fill the cup that clears today of past regrets and future fears”
    Omar Khayyam