Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Love for the Type-S

So i've been lurking for a few days... and as a newbie (both here and with my honda ownership) haven't really found much love for the 2005+ Type S on ozhonda. Fair play in the argument of it being tagged some sort of a 'softer' version of the Type R. Irrelevent of this claim, i wanted to share my love for the pocket-sized beast i recently picked up. The ride, the handling, the speed, the gearbox, the fuel efficiency, the space, the interior build (dispite it's lack of gadgetry) and the leather make for a good feeling. I've not yet modded the car in any way shape or form... and have a few ideas/plans (some based on ozohonda posts) but I think the stock car is a good basis.

I'd also like to invite anyone who owns a Type-S to share their love (photos)... issues... likes... and dislikes.

Also, I found this on the jap mugen site the other day. If anyone knows somewhere in aus that imports mugen and other jap parts/exterior bits... a link/number would be much appriciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-0.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	2244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-5.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	2245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-4.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	2246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-3.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	2247  

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 DC4
    Hey man, theres no doubt that the Type S is a nice car and I certainly wouldnt mind if one appeared in the driveway. Point of the matter is the car that it replaces doesnt quite live up to the hype of previous type R models. Certainly the removal of Recaros or any 'real' race seats was a dissapointment for me, and some of the interior styling is debatable. Theres no denying that the engine/gearbox etc is still A grade. Its just the purists that are screaming for blood cos its not what they wanted.

I think that the problem lies in the heart of type R lovers who want a hardcore track car as the DC2R was. The Type S is a great car but ppl give it a lot of crap due to the fact its not what they wanted the next type R to be. I think its a case of mistaken identity in terms of the type R stigma thats attached to it. Just my opinion

Saying that tho, i think its a nice car. Congrats on the purchase, shes a good looking machine IMO
    Last edited by FlavzzTEGRA; 16-08-2006 at 05:25 PM.

In the end it comes down to what you want out of a car I think. I also own a dc5s and it's great for my needs.

My drive to and from work is 1 hour each way so a not so harshe suspension and enough sound deadining is good for me.

Big boot and rear seats are also very useful as I take passengers and have need for a boot.

Fuel economy is great and if I drive like a grandma i can get at best 7.2L per 100km (i do a lot of highway driving).

What i don't like:
    - would prefer better gripping seats (i'm not that fat)
    - not that torquey down low (vtec engine, what do you expect?)
    - car is quite high. 17inch wheels look small in those arches.

If Honda Australia brought in both the type R (real one: 162kw engine, brembos, etc) and type S (current), would I have bought a type R? I would have liked one and I think it'd be awesome. Would it have been as suitable for me? probably not.

Want a racy kart-like car that's bang for your buck? clio 182 cup. awesome drive. But could you live with it's styling and possibilty it won't have the reliability a Honda has?

Want a faster car than the integras? get a car with a more flexible engine. (face it, stock type r's and type s's aren't really that fast compared to wrx's, s15's, commodore ss's, v6 camry sportivos, etc)

In the end i still like the type s as a daily driver which still has enough grunt to keep people on their toes and has a sporty feel. And I'd still choose it over a 2nd hand wrx or s15. But that's me.

seventwozero
    Good buy The_RA

I think the S > R for the more daily appeal and less hardcore performance look, but more of a classy and VIP feel. Does that make sense?

The lower back support in the stocks seats are average for long journey's so the recaro's would be nice... but i understand the missing feeling for the Type R nuts. I don't see the point in comparing it to a (whowantstobeseenoradmitdrivinga) wrx, a rubbish holden or an ugly toyota.

Member Array
    Car:
    "11 Civic TypeR
    I've got the S, but I do think Honda Australia made the mistake of taking the R out of the market. There's room for both models.
    I really think they should have marketed it like in Japan just having the Luxurious Type S and JDM racer Type R and give the Lux model the ar5e.

Now that I'm older, I prefer the practicality of the S.

Yeah I agree RyDC5S.

One thing has has bugged me is honda's lack of support for the aus size number plates... is there a thread about that somewhere? The only size front number plate bracket thing honda has is made for the jap plates and useless for the standard thin/long front plates we have here.

As an owner of a Type S, I found that the car met my requirements for a daily driven sports car. Most peoples gripes with it was that it lost recaros etc from the previous dc5r. Well personally I drive in peak hour traffic ever day and found the recaros (had dc2r recaros in my em1) a little uncomfortable after awhile (although the added support is much better for hard driving) While it did loose some items, it also gained some. Standard climate control, standard sunroof, 17's etc. The price is also a several grand cheaper (aftermarket suspension and bride seat anyone??) My point being, there is plenty of love for the Type S. I'm not here to say one is better than the other, as you could point out the pro's and con's of each tell you were blue in the face, quiet simply they are aimed at two different markets, and for good reason. Many owners of the R simply think there is no market for a car like the S, when simply there is. My 2 cents

By the way congrats on the new purchase.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S
    isnt it illegal to replace the seats as they have the side airbags?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I think the next biggest thing the TypeS is missing is the LSD. If it had an LSD then A type S would be my next purchase. Since it doesnt i think i'll go for a typeR.

i love mine =p it's not fast, but it looks hotter than a wrx lol

missing the recaros, lsd and brembos, everything else such as exhaust and suspension ur prolly gonna mod anywyaz =)

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by 05dc5S
    it's not fast, but it looks hotter than a wrx lol
    it's not really that slow. if you get beaten by a wrx then juts remeber the extra fuel/insurance/servicing costs that he'll be paying