Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Moderator - here to help Array
    would you need any eng cert doing a spot weld on the chassis?
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz
    I mean realistically I just want to do what I can do myself.

I am good with my hands but have never welded or done any of this before

The reason I am doing it is because I will be taking out all the suspension to change bushes, seats carpet etc cuz changing carpet
    Boot is all out already
    is this for a race car or is this for your street car? what are the future plans for the car? if u feel its a must, get a professional welder to do it, but if you realy must diy please consider doing a welding course first, if u really feel its needed for your application. however let me say its not hard to screw up, and self inflicted dammage is not covered by insurance. please be careful.

what other mods have been done to your car? id say theres probably many other areas to address first before going into spot welding. Foam filling can get messy but gives excelent results. if u go this route, get the foam made for the job, not the hardware store stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo
    p.s have a look at this site, they rewelded the chassis of a toyota
    Yeah... then they wrecked it by putting a cage in it that is worthless.

If you ever stumble across pics of the front part of the cage and how it has been bent to contour with the dash..... you will know why I said it is worthless.

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Hmmm... Bending the roll cage to contour with the dash actually can malke it stronger if welded properly. Check out a WRC car next time you have a chance and notice that their cages are curved around the dash too

There is an big science behind roll cages, all depends on what you want to achieve. If they wanted the mounting plate to be in a certain part of the chassis and wanted to keep the dash, then that is the compromise. Properly bent pipe should not loose its structural integrity.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    then that is the compromise.
    Compromise is what ends up costing people their lives when it involves safety.

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    All those hi-speed WRC crashes into trees/off cliffs seem to highlight that I assume?

All depends on the A pillar position and where the strongest part of the floor is, not to mention class rules. Got evidence that a properly designed curved roll cages kill/injure more people than a 'properly' designed 'straight' cage?

Keep in mind that curves are used in the B pillar braces as well
    Last edited by iamhappy46; 04-11-2006 at 11:12 PM.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Anyway decided that I'd get a pro to do it
    Not that expensive either
    After I strip the hole car and drop it off should be under $1k and then just gotta put it back together myself

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Anyway decided that I'd get a pro to do it
    Not that expensive either
    After I strip the hole car and drop it off should be under $1k and then just gotta put it back together myself
    cool wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    Keep in mind that curves are used in the B pillar braces as well
    I am not talking about curves. When you have pipe that has been bent pretty much into an S like seen on the front section of the cage of the car that was mentioned, that pipe is easily going to collapse with the forces experienced ie. in a roll over.

SPETZ: Take it to a place that have done CAMS approved cages before.

Can a smash repairer do it?

Is it worth doing for street car?

Can a smash repairer do it?

Is it worth doing for street car?
    Does he or has he made cages that are CAMS approved based on the the rules and guidelines the type of racing the car will be competing in? If yes then yes he can.... if he hasn't I would not even waste my time further asking them. Even though it seems the car will not be used in motorsport of any kind I still would not be adding something in a car by someone that just knocks one up cause he is good with a MIG and pipes.

"Is it worth it for a street car?" ...You mean a cage? IMO NO.

Though the idea of more welds, spot welds and seam sealant/joiner I would say it is possibly worth it, BUT only if you already had plans on getting the car totally resprayed.
    Last edited by SPEEDCORE; 06-11-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Cages

Actually, the Cusco ones, even the curved ones are actually ok and approved in Japan for Motorsports.

CAMS approved only if you intend to race in Australia...thats only because CAMS are being an arse about the whole "I make the rules thing", not because they're any safer.