Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1979 Civic Hondamatic

Strut Inserts? Help!

when I last got my 1979 civic serviced, they told me that i should consider replacing the "strut inserts". this was quoted (with wheel alignment) at around $550.

A few questions:
    1. what exactly are "strut inserts" - obviously part of the suspension, but which bit exactly
    2. is it really necessary to replace them
    3. is $550 a reasonable price, are the parts themselves very expensive
    4. is it something that can easily be done by an amateur

sorry for the noob questions, just keen to fix a few things up myself rather than spend heaps of $$$

Not 100% sure on the term strut insert but my guess is that he is referring to the shock absorbers.. Reason for my guess is that OEM shocks + labour is roughly $500 bucks.

If this is the case, then no it is not absolutely necessary to replace them however, ur ride will be very crap (bouncy, super soft, longer braking distances in emergency, and general inefficient operation hence potentially using more petrol).

As for the price of parts, i'm not too sure..but being able to source these parts ofr your car i would imagine to be difficult. The cost of labour is roughly $80. The cost of struts is probably around $350 to $400. Or even cheaper f you can get a set of NOS (New old stock) off ebay.

This is something that can be done by an amatuer. I did my install by myself. (see my sig), with no prior experience with big jobs like this. But if u do do it, do it with a mate, take extreme care and caution, and be prepared for a long night.

hope that helps

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    an 'insert' is just that, a replacement shock absorber that basically fits INTO the oem shock bodies. its a hella of an arsehole to fit, u basically have to decompress the oem shocks and then gut em fit in the inserts. shit job.

in terms of price it depends on what brand they r giving. if thats the price for Gabriel inserts ur gettin ass ****ed if its KONIs, its good.

pm me if u want some different prices, i sell that stuff.

and yes its nessessary to replace them, if they r fecked, replace em. when ur jocks wear out, do u replace em? with shit/shot/blown shocks your car will handle like poo and basically get to a point where its just plain dangerous to drive.

i doubt that if your asking what an insert is that u should atempt DIY.

my advice, shop round, pm me and other traders and the get a nice reputable shop to install and for god sake make sure u get a alignment. also another thing to consider, ull replace these now and wont have to look at them for 100 000ks.......
    oh wrd!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1979 Civic Hondamatic
    Thanks guys, I've got a mate who reckons he's able to help me out with this one. I've been quoted a couple of different things:
    Supercheap $285 for pair of shock absorbers (brand monroe)
    Other places $400 for pair of entire unit excluding spring

egSi, if i get another 100000ks out of this old girl I'll be a very happy man!!!
    I didn't quite understand why it's so difficult to insert new shocks into the old sleeves. can you please explain this a bit more for me.