Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    Quote Originally Posted by vti-2
    But technically speaking you can't actually launch in VTEC On normal tyres, getting traction at 5K+ RPM is pretty tough!
    You can but you get stupid amounts of wheel spin. :mrgreen:
    Tell me about it !
    Ive got vids at home from Kwinana motorplex with about 5 2.9 sec 60foot times - due to some serious wheel spinning.
    :shock:

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    So can anyone here say that they've proven these theories on the drag strip?

Car:
    Ive had 8 passes so far at the drag strip.

6 of them i kept spinning the tyres when dumping the clutch at 3k -3.55 rpm.

2 passes were done at 2.5k rpm and i bogged

My conclusion was my launch technique was crap and add to that i did everything wrong on the day.
    Things i learnt :
    1. reduce front tyre pressure to 20psi
    2. turn OFF all accessories and or remove them
    3. turn heater to ON but only to level 1 fan
    4. turn Aircon OFF
    5. remove all unnessarey items like Hungry Jacks vouchers etc.
    6. hold the throttle at 4000rpm and on the 3rd orange slowly but briskly ease off the clutch to slingshot you off the line.
    7. Do a burnout before you launch it.
    8. too fast off the clutch and you will spin the wheels.
    9. remove radar detector, all stereo equipment + spare tyre etc.

I dragged a VP SS who got a 20 sec pass. :x He was spinning the wheels all the way down the track and damn the screeching sound is awful !

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    why do you turn the heater on?

why do you turn the heater on?
    this is to reduce under bonnet / engine tempretures...it basically vents all the hot air into the cabin stead of in and around the engine...keeps it alittle cooler !

Or atleast thats my theory. I once drove a mates VW beetle form Brisbane to Sydney in 1 nite....the only thing keeping it together was that i had the heater on all teh way

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    The heater takes heat from the engine cooling system, so turning the heater on helps keep the engine cooler.

Either that or he was COLD
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Car:
    You hit the nail on the head

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    That's all good and true about the heater taking heat away from the engine cooling system... BUT... Doesn't turning the fan on decrease power? I have felt the power when accelerating with the fan on and off and you have to work harder when its on. So what is better? Losing power by having the heater on, or getting rid of the heat in your engine bay?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    dayum this is really interesting guys...so i guess practicing is the key since every setup is diffrent

Quote Originally Posted by INFLYT
    So can anyone here say that they've proven these theories on the drag strip?
    I've had several passes @ EC...

Tyre's at about 19-22 psi
    Launch at 4000rpms...
    Constant 2.3-2.4 60" on stock rubber... need some semi slicks...

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9
    depends what tyre and where you launch the car..

it is so much difference if you launch on the street than on the drag strip..

i'm using a semi slicks...and i launch on the street darn well...around 4.8k and after slightly releasing and dumping the clutch all the way and let the power floor onto the ground, and you will feel the car is pulling away from its starting ground pretty quick...or if you can feel like you launch it then you feel something like a rolling start, then is a great launch..

but in drag strip...i don't think that you can launch it there...i mean within 4.8k rpm...very hard to control the power as the strip has rubber and it's grippy...but did you all notice something?...most car that launch well with a high rev is rear wheel drive car...it's because their burnt rubber are at the rear and left little infront...so FWD car won't really launch well in the drag strip...slippery...and you can't get the power down....unless you want to improve your time, after market 3rd,4th and 5th gear, 4.785 or 4.929 final drive and a better LSD will at least bring you down another half sec dude...

conclusion..the more money you have, the faster the car goes..

Quote Originally Posted by Jnr Teggy
    hey there..

just wondering what you guys have found to be most effective?

i find that holding the revs at about 6k and slipping the clutch enough to allow a little spin works well..

anyone else?
    it's different between cars. but generally...... fwds need a high launch to be able to get the car moving.

different drivetrains require different techniques, which in this case... there's only 4wd, fwd and rwd. lol

cheers mate.

the ideal launching technique would be minimum slip maximum traction. keep that in mind as you launch. hanging at 6krpm with your clutch burning wouldn't be such a good idea unless you're sponsored with new clutches everytime u do that =o)

aim for a dump but do maintain your car all the time - know that what you do has an effect on your beloved car - take care of it.

maybe you should try doing timings to ensure that you get best timings - that's what i do. just try launching the car and accept all the 'data' you get from the launch and determine if the car goes well on high/low rpm launch. all the more is..... just look at the specs =o)