Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mags or Engine?

I have a 1992 Honda Civic Gl Hatch and will soon have about $1500+ to spend on it. I was originally going to buy some 17" Avantek mags for it for about $2000+ but I am now thinking of upgrading the engine to a B16A (keeping in mind that thew work will be done for free)

But I do not know which to do....? I am only 16 and get my L's in November this year.

What are your thoughts?
    (I don't know if this is the right section?

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Engine all the way, but its gonna be hard on insurance..
    Mags just arnt my taste..
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    If you are only 16, I recommend the mags so you get used to the car.....and more importantly driving.

Driving a b16 (or any DOHC VTEC) PROPERLY takes alot of practice, and I think you should get used to driving in general first.

Then get the engine. WHo knows, by that time you might even decide to buy another car. Hence you can put the mags on your newer car instead of doing an engine swap and not getting all your money back when you sell it.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Yeh I am leaning towards the engine aswell. I can also in the future get some mags that look like the Avantek ones for about $700 from Japan.
    As for insurance, I spoke to my dad and we are going to insure the car in his name and list myself as the primary driver. That way I pay any excess but it is not a big bill each year.

Is thios the sort of cost that I should be expecting?

Engine: About $2000
    Work: Free
    Anything else at all???

Considering you are still young and more power isn't always the best option why not spend the money on suspension. There's so much you could do to improve the handling, that way once you do the engine mods the car will be handling 'on rails'. :wink:

AFAIK the suspension has already been done before I purchased the car, and has been dropped a few inches.

I have been driving cars for about 3-4 years now in my backyard, but I do realise that is a hell alot of a differnce when you get on the road, especially when driving something with that sort of engine in it.

When it comes time to resell the car, will I loose alot of money? I'm assuming I will because mods usually decrease the value of the car right?

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 EK1 Civic Vti[R.I.P]
    * audio & visual -incar tv & dvd always gets attention
    * handling - coilovers all the way
    * interior

or KEEP SAVING YOUR CASH

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    One of my mates over here in Perth Has a R32 GTR Godzilla as his first car and hes 17. He cant even get into the pub with us for a beer :lol: :lol: :lol:

With your case, id actually hold onto the money for the time being and learn to drive first. Learn in a shit weak-as-piss ride for a year. Thats what i did. We have all heard of the stories of young learners crashing high powered cars before. Id hate a civic to be then next statistic. :shock:

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 EK1 Civic Vti[R.I.P]
    cars depreciate very year, so dont get to worried about loosing money cos u will, think of it like hobby... some ppl like lil itty bitty train sets, and some like cars, fast, slow style watever...

There's a lot more to suspension than 'dumping' it. You have strut bars, anti-sway bars, proper adjustable coilovers (rather than compressed springs), tie bars and various other brace bars that can help the car handle. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a cheap hobby either, modifying cars properly is not cheap!

If i were you, save your money for now, the temptation to spend it will always be there but save and buy the best. That way you won't end up disappointed.

Thnx for the replies all. And I think that I might aswell keep on saving my money. Because I have alot of things that I want to buy for this car

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Either save your money for a better car or go to mags if you want to spend the money. 1500 will not get you a B16A swap complete. More importantly, when it comes time to sell, few people look at an engine swap and add it to the price - whells on the other hand are nice and shiney

*sigh* am I really the oldest fart here? :?
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX