Team YCD Geek Array
    Car:
    K24A Dim Sum Trolley

(Euro) JDM DC5 Flywheel Upgrade Advice

I know a few of you have replaced the stock Euro fly wheel with the lighter JDM DC5 one and were pretty happy so i know it works.

I am considering a second hand one with apparently 10,000 kms and wanted some feedback on the following questions.

* What condition should a good/bad flywheel be in eg. worn or chipped teeth?

* Are there any obvious markings on the flywheel for identification eg.part number so I can tell its the real deal?

* Does anyone know the actual part number for JDM DC5 flywheel?

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    why dun u just buy the aftermarket one since JDM one arent cheap

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6mt
    what about the comptech one? .. sorry kinda off topic to thread (doesnt ans his q)

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39631

or this one which is around $5XX

Its normal for a flywheel to have some very slight graze marks on the teeth from the starter motor, but other than that there shouldnt be any chips etc.

one thing to look at and make sure of is that the surface of the flywheel isn't glazed from being dropped at high rpm continuously etc. A few spots of glazing indicate high rpm and shifting and are less of a problem but if the whole thing seems very highly polished and glazed over its not worth your time.

Don't know the part number sorry, but a shop that deals and JDM honda parts should know, just ask around.

To those that suggested aftermarket flywheels ,they are good options aswell.

Granted the JDM honda one isn't actually much cheaper at I decided to buy it for piece of mind. OEM honda parts are great quality and you know there is going to be no issues with them fitting or being overly light for the application.

On an engine with such a long stroke a superlight flywheel could place extra wear on the engine due to the faster revving (just a theory). I found the 4.7kg flywheel with an aftermarket clutch to be more than enough of a performance upgrade and loved what it did for the car.

Don't forget the clutch is a spinning component also and it may be worth changing to an aftermarket one to save some weight aswell.

The oem euro clutch and flywheel comes to 16kg I weighed my aftermarket combination at 9k (both times the box they were in was included).

Hope this helps.

Team YCD Geek Array
    Car:
    K24A Dim Sum Trolley
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Chris as always full of useful info. When you replaced the flywheel and clutch did you retain the use of the standard bearings? I think you went with the organic clutch as well, right?

I did look at the aftermarket ones but I found a S/H one at a reasonable price so thats the reason for the questions.

I replaced the throwout (release) bearing with the one included in the exedy heavy duty organic clutch kit. I think it's just an oem bearing, but while you have the tranny out its just worth replacing it (and you get it free so why not). That was the only bearing that was replaced.

Well if its for a good price I'd go for it, it really is a great upgrade and is still my favourite 'power' modification.

One thing i have noticed with the exedy heavy duty is that it is noiser than stock and on deceleration it makes a 'sssshhh' sort of noise. It was worrying at first but after checking the gearbox oil for signs of wear (metal flakes) etc. that's what it seems to be. I believe it has something to do with the slightly different design and the fact that the exedy HD has 6 springs compared to 4 which may rattle slighly or create wind noise when spinning at higher rpm (especially when decelerating).

But yea, just keep in mind that this is a more serious modification than just a simple bolt on and that the long term reliability of a k24 with a light flywheel hasnt really been tested (hence why i went for the more reasonably weighted 4.7kg JDM DC5R unit)

Team YCD Geek Array
    Car:
    K24A Dim Sum Trolley
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_F
    I replaced the throwout (release) bearing with the one included in the exedy heavy duty organic clutch kit. I think it's just an oem bearing, but while you have the tranny out its just worth replacing it (and you get it free so why not). That was the only bearing that was replaced.

Well if its for a good price I'd go for it, it really is a great upgrade and is still my favourite 'power' modification.

One thing i have noticed with the exedy heavy duty is that it is noiser than stock and on deceleration it makes a 'sssshhh' sort of noise. It was worrying at first but after checking the gearbox oil for signs of wear (metal flakes) etc. that's what it seems to be. I believe it has something to do with the slightly different design and the fact that the exedy HD has 6 springs compared to 4 which may rattle slighly or create wind noise when spinning at higher rpm (especially when decelerating).

But yea, just keep in mind that this is a more serious modification than just a simple bolt on and that the long term reliability of a k24 with a light flywheel hasnt really been tested (hence why i went for the more reasonably weighted 4.7kg JDM DC5R unit)

Thanks, I did read your post about the noisy clutch issue on the TSX forum.

Sounds like a positive mods but long term reliability is a concern. However thats just part of the risk with any mods, I'll see how it goes.

Yep very true there's always trade offs. Goodluck with it, if you go ahead im sure youll be happy with what it does.