Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    honda engines dont last? Better tell that to my mate, whose CRX engine lasted 550,000km before the head needed to come off

Those were abusive km too, cos he thrashed the bejesus out of that thing!!

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Hehe... Sorry if i touched on a nerve there! It was just what i had been told... (i'm originally a Toyota/Lexus man, whose engines are supposed to be bullet-proof). My mate's 95 Accord warped the head when the radiator cracked, then the AC system needed replacing. He spent over $2.5k on the engine, then decided to sell it.

But if i read through the thread there are a few people here with replacement engines (B22A??). Was that done out of necessity, or just for performance?

Anyway, I have just dropped the car off at the mechanics... He's replacing the T-belt, Balancer belt, and 4 oil seals for under $500, and tells me the car should be right for the next 100k at least!

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    H22A you mean and that was done for performance wise

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik

But if i read through the thread there are a few people here with replacement engines (B22A??). Was that done out of necessity, or just for performance?

err, well, i was doin drunken burnouts in my shop one night and i blew the diff in my original motor (f22b) the one you have. I always wanted a h22a so this was a good time to get it.

Motor slots straight in with the accord mounts xcept for you use the prelude passenger side mount (with a very minor mod), power steer hose mod, you use the accord AC and alternator with a custom length 43" belt, use the prelude steer pump, prelude radiator hoses, accord radiator, prelude exhaust manifold and 'A' pipe, minor exhaust mod, prelude heater hoses with length cut out of them. Use the accord drive shafts and intermediate shafts. Use the accord gear shifter mechanism. Use all accord wiring loom ecept for one sensor thats not on the h22a. BUT!!! then you make a new loom for about 5-6 sensors on the h22a that arnt on the f22b and you run this loom through the fire wall back to the prelude ecu you are using and then the fun begins when you wire the facker up :P

h22a looks tough and goes better too....its awesome watching the standard accord tacho cutout at 7800rpm instead of 6300rpm :twisted:

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Wow, thanks for the writeup - you probably get sick of answering that question to all the n00bs like myself! So i take it that when doing the conversion its best to start with a Prelude front cut? and if so, how much are they worth?

I think that watching the Commodore/Falcon disappear in the rear view mirror would be more interesting than watching the tacho though

That said though, the engine is now in good condition now so i would only consider this if something happens to it, like what happened to you...

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    believe me, seeing his tacho rev out so high is pretty interesting

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik
    So i take it that when doing the conversion its best to start with a Prelude front cut? and if so, how much are they worth?

Yes, its best to start with a front cut.
    I payed $3200 plus shipping for 96' JDM h22a prelude front cut from adelaide jap wreckers
    www.adelaidejap.com.au

You can find them cheaper but this one was hand picked ( compression tested etc) They also changed the timing belt for good measure and it came with a 3 month warranty. Plus it also has an factory LSD and JDM ecu.

Everything i needed was in the front cut.

the digital odometer in the front cut read 60537km, It also came with a genuine stitched leather gear knob which is sweeter than the stock accord type. 8)

I'm going to see if the brakes fit onto my accord as they have a larger rotor and caliper.

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Damn, that looks sweet... The DOHC head looks heaps bigger!

I'll keep the half cut in mind... In a couple of years my car wont be worth jack as trade in (high kms), so i'll probably keep it as a project car!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    I picked up an accord the other day with 80000 on the clock and its a 94! Ive done 32ks since ...Going to make it look sweet before i go for performance...with 80000 on it, i dont think ill need to tinker with the engine any time soon...btw how much would it cost to have a front cut installed?

was the 3200 u paid just for the front cut (excluding installation)?
    if so, how much does it cost to install the engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Exi
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew84tran
    was the 3200 u paid just for the front cut (excluding installation)?
    if so, how much does it cost to install the engine?
    hey bro, dont bother reading the previous post aye....:roll:

haha.. sorry i missed that