Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Panasonic had some reliability issues with their previous range of decks, not if sure that's been fixed or not but personally i'm stayin away from panasonic.

Ru$ki: How do you find the touch screen of the clarion? In terms finger prints.

IMHO BBE is a gimmick, its much better to have a good original source than to compensate for a dodgy one.

Member Array
    Car:
    97 VTiR Prelude
    The touchscreen is soil resistant so you will never damage it with like the skin oils or any residue that may be left on the screen while touching it. As far as cleaning them...man its as easy as taking some microfibre cloth (or even use the cloth to wipe your glasses...if you have any)...and just wiping the residue off...comes off without any problems.

That Clarion deck is extremely nice...but if you can find the equivalent of it from the 05 range (which is the deck I have...DXZ856MP)...then go for that...or even the DXZ956MC (slightly more features) coz basically for the same price you get heips more features and a tad better DSP (in the 956)
    Last edited by Ru$kI; 15-09-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    ive got an alpine deck and its worked well for me so i can recommend them. all depends on wat features ur after coz theres no point paying more for features u dont need and wont use...

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ru$kI
    Heres my 2 cents on those 3 headunits:

Clarion:
    1. Awesome user-interface
    2. Good features
    3. Good SQ (THD 0.01%, S/N 100 dB)
    4. Poor DSP (only 2 band parametric EQ, LP)

Overall: 7 / 10

Panasonic:
    1. Interface looks like a nice easy
    2. Average features
    3. Good - Great SQ (THD 0.01%, S/N 106 dB)
    4. Good DSP (9 band EQ, SRS, HP & LP)

Overall: 8 / 10

Alpine:
    1. Interface looks outdated and nothing special
    2. Average features (only good thing is the USB connectivity)
    3. Great SQ (BBE, THD 0.008%, S/N 105 dB)
    4. Poor DSP (seems like only 2 band EQ (bass n treble), and no filters at all )

Overall 7 / 10

So my choice would be the Panasonic. But then again that is purely based on stats...as others said it all depends on how they truly sound.
    So from the stats, the panasonic would sound clearest out of the three?

Also, surely there has to be an option to turn off the colourful lights/animation and make it only display the song title etc etc. This would make night driving that tad bit easier..hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    The touchscreen is soil resistant so you will never damage it with like the skin oils or any residue that may be left on the screen while touching it. As far as cleaning them...man its as easy as taking some microfibre cloth (or even use the cloth to wipe your glasses...if you have any)...and just wiping the residue off...comes off without any problems.

That Clarion deck is extremely nice...but if you can find the equivalent of it from the 05 range (which is the deck I have...DXZ856MP)...then go for that...or even the DXZ956MC (slightly more features) coz basically for the same price you get heips more features and a tad better DSP (in the 956)
    The 956 is abit too much over my budget..hehe

it's like close to 1k.

I found the 866 for $650ish. is the 856 better than the 866?

I like the 866 cos it's black and will match the trim in my car..just dont want one that's like silver etc that would stand out like a sore thumb..hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Don't just look at the specs as that doesn't tell the whole story.

$650 for the 866 is cheap... cheapest i've seen is $799

If it's a legit price then that's cheap... if it's ebay then be careful... lol
    The warranty may not be covered by the manufacturer since the ebay seller is most probably not an authorised dealer.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    Fr3aKi3 has stated some very good points there.

I'd probably go with the Alpine for reliability and quality. Steer away from Panasonic as there's always reliability issues with them in Car Audio. Don't get me wrong, their Plasma and LCD panels are great but in car audio, i'd stay away from them.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    I just went to some audio stores to have a play with some of the head units.

The panasonic one felt very tacky..like it was a toy..didnt feel solid if you guys know what i mean.

The clarion one felt awesome..every button you press felt just so precise and solid. I could tell straight away the clarion one was of very high quality.

How about during the day though, ive owned some head units where it was impossible to see the display during the day when the sun is shining in..hehe

how would these displays go during sunlight?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    oh and i also noticed this nice kenwood one.

So i guess the ones im choosing between now are the kenwood, clarion and alpine one..

or any other ones you guys might suggest.

Let me know

Thanks..hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    97 VTiR Prelude
    the 856 has a stainless steel face plate, so its not gonna be black. However...its basically an 866 + shitload more features

As far as price, I paid $900 for the 856 in Feb 06....so considering that the 866 has fewer features and is rather new...id say $650 is a good price.

And with regard to day & night driving and illumination...the 856 has dimmer control...and also auto dimmer...whereby a sensor detects that if theres a lack in light (ie its night time / day time) and dimms the display accordingly to a preset level (which you set). Im pretty sure the 866 has this feature also.

With the Kenwood XXV-01D...i reckon its a nice deck...surely seems to have good SQ stats (but as everyone says...you really have to listen 2 it to see if you like it)...and feature wise seems a good pick. However from memory I believe they are rather pricey. Can't comment on the interface as in all honestly never used one, but looks nice

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 95 EG
    Buy Blaupunkt!

Bought the Modena MP54 for the GF and beats most japanese decks in feature and SQ department. Looks a bit plan but thats euro styling.

PS- I work with Car radios everyday so I know what I'm on about

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    With the Kenwood XXV-01D...i reckon its a nice deck...surely seems to have good SQ stats (but as everyone says...you really have to listen 2 it to see if you like it)...and feature wise seems a good pick. However from memory I believe they are rather pricey. Can't comment on the interface as in all honestly never used one, but looks nice
    Yeah it's a good deck. Multi award winning in previous year. Price is a little bit steeper compared to some of the others mention, roughly in the $799 mark. But good SQ unit. Never been a Kenwood fan but this i would recommend.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW