Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Engine Oil in Sparkies

Hi guys,

My girlfriends little sis recently got her timing belt change for her DC4. The car has done almost 200ks. Im not a mechinic or any thing but I usually do minor services for her including changing engine oils, sparkies, oil etc. However, ever since the change of timing belt (which was also when I did a service for her), maybe a good month after I noticed that their was Engine Oil in/around 2 of the spark plugs. I've double checked to make sure the sparkies were tight and also the right ones (which she bought) which they are. What would the cause of this be and could the change of the timing belt be the cause. I know for the fact the mechanic that was changing the timing belt had hired some new apprentices at the time.

Confused what the problem is

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Oil on spark plugs could be 1 of 2 things and not caused by a change of the Timing belt.

Option 1: If oil is around the actual 'ignitor' and thread from the inside of the motor I'd say the oil rings on the car are on their way out and have what I believe is called 'blow by'.

Option 2:
    You could have accidentally spilled some oil down the rocker cover and oil came down to the plugs. Maybe take the plugs out and give them a clean, take a lint free rag and try wiping area around the plug holes.

If it is option 1, I think I would get the mechanic to look at it as I have no idea what you are talking about

With option 2, Im very carefully and take my time doing stuff. Ive also got the a huge funnel so i would not highly spill anything everywhere. Yeh I tried what u also mention by wiping off the oil in around the spark plug area and also replace it with new sparkies which didnt help the problem.

Is this gonna be a big or costly job for the mechanic???

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    could also be your spark plug tube seals.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Do u mean in the spark plug wells on top of the spark plugs?

If so its prob quite simply the seals between the head & the rocker cover are damaged or worn.

Just take the rocker cover off & inspect the seals.
    Get some liquid gasket to seal the corners of the cam arches when your replacing it between the gasket & the head & tighten it down to about 9.8 Nm in a diagonal sequence starting from the inner most bolts.Tighten the nuts down gradually going around them all a few times bringing the cover slowly down into place.

They would of taken the cover off to replace the timing belt & probably overtightened it or similar.

Member Array
    Car:
    ^^^ that could also be a problem yes.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer
    Do u mean in the spark plug wells on top of the spark plugs?

If so its prob quite simply the seals between the head & the rocker cover are damaged or worn.

Just take the rocker cover off & inspect the seals.
    Get some liquid gasket to seal the corners of the cam arches when your replacing it between the gasket & the head & tighten it down to about 9.8 Nm in a diagonal sequence starting from the inner most bolts.Tighten the nuts down gradually going around them all a few times bringing the cover slowly down into place.

They would of taken the cover off to replace the timing belt & probably overtightened it or similar.
    or the the seals could of just worn out after 200kms
    lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    if your rings are gone - option 1 - its a bottom end rebuild. But as CRXer said if its just the plug tube seals its not as bad.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn
    or the the seals could of just worn out after 200kms
    lol.
    true,especially that the cover prob been removed a few times already.

but coincidence it happened right after service.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer
    true,especially that the cover prob been removed a few times already.

but coincidence it happened right after service.
    yeah but somtimes when you take it off, and then put it back on correctly, it's just old age and leaks, lol, that's why everytime i do something like, adjust tappets or anything like that, that ivolves gaskets and seals, i like to replaced while i'm there, saves time and a hassles.
    lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn
    yeah but somtimes when you take it off, and then put it back on correctly, it's just old age and leaks, lol, that's why everytime i do something like, adjust tappets or anything like that, that ivolves gaskets and seals, i like to replaced while i'm there, saves time and a hassles.
    lol.
    By the looks of your sig,your lucky to have all these parts at your fingertips,might have to shoot ya a PM next time i do something & do it properly,lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    np's..
    lol.