Thread: "Clunk" Noise

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Manual 2006

"Clunk" Noise

Hi All,

Today I was driving down towards a highway on one of those "Loopy" entrances, Not unlike the ones in this image: http://www.gecareers.com/GECAREERS/i...ths-image1.jpg

Anyways, as it was a kind of banked turn, I took the entrance at a fairly decent speed just to see how much grip the Euro has (which it has heaps might I add..) . When I finished the turn and got onto the highway, I heard a very loud 'Clunk' Noise, similar to the sound of an empty glass bottle hitting carpet. When I got out of my I car I did a quick inspection and it didn't look as if anything had been damaged or missing (underbody, suspension etc.), I then check the boot to see if it was maybe the wheel or one of the tools had fallen out, but there was nothing (boot was empty). Anyone know what this clunk noise could have been? As I definitely didn't run over anything and I'm worried it could be something more substantial....

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Maybe it was a rock/rubbish/stick you drove over and it hit the cars' chassis. If you didnt feel a bump then the object could have clipped the side of the tyre and flicked up. Its happened to me before.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I had this on my car.

The standard rear sway bar was loose, apparently it happened to a few members.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I think rear sway bar too.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Manual 2006
    Damn.. Guess it doesn't sound good. Could I fix this myself or will I havr to book it in..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    You can tighten it yourself.

12mm ring spanner for the brackets, and 14mm ring spanner+hex key (5mm I think) for the endlinks. If your car is standard height, you can get underneath easily. Do not jack your car up. Tightening has to be done at ride height.

There are 2 brackets, each bracket has 2 bolts. They are not that tight from factory. The endlinks are meant to be tight. If it still clunks after tightening, then the bushes that are held by the brackets need some greasing. Use something lasting like Castrol LMM lithium grease.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Manual 2006
    Thanks for the info guys!

Now to my 2nd question, I don't really feel confident enough to mess around with the suspension of my car jsut incase I stuff something up that could adversly affect the handling of my car... As I only just got my car serviced a week ago, is it safe enough to drive around like this until my next service as I really don't have the time to drop the car off at the dealers to get this fixed at the moment. Also when you guys say 'loose' what part of the sway bar is actually loose?

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 honda euro
    ive had that tooo.. all they have to do is tighten it its kool. = ) the screws are loose

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by clowdz
    Thanks for the info guys!

Now to my 2nd question, I don't really feel confident enough to mess around with the suspension of my car jsut incase I stuff something up that could adversly affect the handling of my car... As I only just got my car serviced a week ago, is it safe enough to drive around like this until my next service as I really don't have the time to drop the car off at the dealers to get this fixed at the moment. Also when you guys say 'loose' what part of the sway bar is actually loose?

Thanks!
    The only thing that can go wrong is you use a cheap hex key that slips in the endlink bolt. LOL. You really don't want that to happen, because you will have to replace your endlink then.

If you don't mind living with the noise, then do so until you can bring it to the dealer.