Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    for quality audio look at the europeans, for sheer brutness (brain damage material) look at the (sorry to say) dumb yanks (not all thou)

for frisbies, look at the asian brands

Member Array
    Car:
    Former Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hondaGRL
    if ur going to buy alpine speakers... then u should be runnig them off an alpine amp. its like having a sony head unit and having alpine type X speakers.. your a ****ing d***head if u do that... or vise versa... u stick to one brand and ONLY one brand. Mix and match and your system will go down hill. everything is designed to be with each other.
    The only positive about having a consistent system is that you will know the ratings will also be consistent. Different brands test their products differently and therefore come up with different ratings of power, so for example a 5 channel audison amp bridged to power 2 HSK hertz components at 125w will give you great sound and not damage the system in the long run, whereas if you switch to an alpine amp with the same ratings to power the HSKs it will damage your speakers in the long run because it simply cannot provide the same amount of output. However, if you switch to alpine speakers you should be fine because you know you can apply the same discount to their ratings.

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 VTI-R HB Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Trini
    I'm considering getting an amp for my four speakers, i've got alpine speaker 5 1/4 " in the front Type S and 6" Type S in the back... which is better:

Alpine
    MRP-F250 V-Power 4/3/2 Channel Power Amp

This 4 channel V-Power amplifier delivers exceptionally high performance and detailed control. Combined with Alpine's famous sound quality, it's versatility will allow it to adapt to many configurations.
    RRP: $299.00

50W x 4 RMS [2Ohms @ 14.4V (0.3% THD)]
    40W x 4 RMS [4Ohms @ 14.4V (0.08% THD)]
    Speaker Level Inputs
    MOSFET Power Supply
    Output MOSFET
    Bass EQ
    Subsonic Filter
    Built In Crossover

OR Kenwood

KAC-6403

High Quality 4-channel Power Amplifier
    PRICE $ 249.00

Power Features
    Maximum Output Power 500W

Rated Output Power (14.4V )
    40W x 4 at 20-20kHz 1%THD (4Ohns)
    120W x 2 at Bridged 1kHz 1%THD (4Ohms)
    60W x 4 at 1kHZ 1%THD (2Ohms)

Features Highlights
    Maximum Output Power 500W
    Die-casting Heat Sink
    Power MOSFET Switching Power Supply
    Built-in Low-pass/ High-pass Filter
    Speaker Level Input

General Features
    Die-casting Heat Sink
    Power MOSFET Switching Power Supply
    Built-in Low-pass Filter 80Hz (12dB/oct, for A/ B Channel)
    Built-in High-pass Filter 80Hz (12dB/oct)
    Variable Input Sensitivity (0.2-5V)
    Speaker Level Input from OEM Car Radio for Easy Up-grade
    Power Indicator with Red Triangle LED
    Size: W 330mm x H 59mm x D 227.26mm

the kenwood amp doesn't come with wiring kit and i'm assuming the alpine doesn't either.. any ideas on which i should get? i don't really know all that much and any help would be great
    Cheers
    Kenwood owns alpine, either are fine.....
    Johnny B.

Representing DH-R All Day Everyday
    http://www.dh-racing.com/motors.html

All comes down to what your willing to spend and preference. There are better amps out there, but you personally might not be able to hear the difference. I have never had any trouble with alpine amps (v12's) and for reference my 545 (alpine 4 channel) birthed around 160wrms and its only rated at 125. Some amps are stronger than others, certain company's are know for either under rating or over rating there equipment. Personally if going alpine i would be looking at least a v12. The new PDX range off amps are apprently very good also, but like anything it all comes with a cost.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 integra coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3aKi3
    I wouldn't say that you should only stick to one brand and one brand only...

My system:
    HU: JVC KD-SHX855 (not the best for SQ but at the time i got it for half price so I aint complaining)
    Front Splits: MB Quart Reference RCE216
    Rear fill: Pioneer TS-D691R (not the best 6x9's but enough to keep passengers happy)
    Amp : Digital Designs C4 (all channels used for front splits)
    Monoblock : Infinity REF610A
    Sub: Boston Acoustic Pro10.5LF

The main weak point I see in my system is the deck, it does the job but would be nice if it had some more adjustability. Going by your theory I guess my sound system must really suck then ... along with all other people who have Focal, Morel, Phass, Zapco or DLS components since they only make amp or speaker and no headunits.

Personally I havn't had any experience with either of those 2 models of amps, all I can say is that I had a Kenwood amp once and i'm probably never gonna get one again. No comment on the JL amp either, SS amps are shiny....

well i've got a 9855R head unit. 2x T420 2/1 channel 600w amps running my 6.5" 350w type R components - second amp is yet to run any speakers (goign to be dedicated to my rear speakers which will be 300w 6" or 6.5" type R's), and i'm running my 900w type S sub off a 350w mono V12 amp.

Thats an ex-uni students sound system. In an ex-uni students car. I think im doing rather well for the limited $ i have. one piece at a time.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 integra coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer
    Give her a break fellas,she might be japanese & actually enjoy that "twangy" jap sound quality.

um. unlike 90% of this honda forum i'm not korean, japanese, chinese or anything in between. 100% pure aussie mate, of the white variety. I can't help it if i like quality of quantity. its like the whole theory about body kits, guys saying 'oh my 7k real veilside kit is the best' when it shatters just the same as a fake one... and a Louis Vuitton bag still looks the same, fake or real. THats my theory about sound systems too. I stick to one brand, and only 1 brand, if u want to mix and match, thats your perogative.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    well i've got a 9855R head unit. 2x T420 2/1 channel 600w amps running my 6.5" 350w type R components - second amp is yet to run any speakers (goign to be dedicated to my rear speakers which will be 300w 6" or 6.5" type R's), and i'm running my 900w type S sub off a 350w mono V12 amp.

Thats an ex-uni students sound system. In an ex-uni students car. I think im doing rather well for the limited $ i have. one piece at a time.
    I props to you though for not just running out and getting the cheapest "powerful" crap like boss etc. T420 are 600w? Specs say that its 2x110 wrms (4 ohm) and 2 x 170 wrms (2 ohm) both rated at 14.4V. Max power is 2x225 and the 350w rating of your splits is also a max power rating not RMS.

BTW it's not like as if i'm loaded $$$ either since I'm actually still in uni.

Back to oringal post. Seeing as to how the Alpine and Kenwood have been ditched for possibly either a Soundstream or JL, does that mean the budget for an amp has increased?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 integra coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3aKi3
    I props to you though for not just running out and getting the cheapest "powerful" crap like boss etc. T420 are 600w? Specs say that its 2x110 wrms (4 ohm) and 2 x 170 wrms (2 ohm) both rated at 14.4V. Max power is 2x225 and the 350w rating of your splits is also a max power rating not RMS.

BTW it's not like as if i'm loaded $$$ either since I'm actually still in uni.

Back to oringal post. Seeing as to how the Alpine and Kenwood have been ditched for possibly either a Soundstream or JL, does that mean the budget for an amp has increased?

i bought the amps 2 yrs ago.. my bad if they're not 600w. I dont go by RMS.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    um. unlike 90% of this honda forum i'm not korean, japanese, chinese or anything in between. 100% pure aussie mate, of the white variety. I can't help it if i like quality of quantity. its like the whole theory about body kits, guys saying 'oh my 7k real veilside kit is the best' when it shatters just the same as a fake one... and a Louis Vuitton bag still looks the same, fake or real. THats my theory about sound systems too. I stick to one brand, and only 1 brand, if u want to mix and match, thats your perogative.
    Sorry,i mustve taken u calling most pro installers & the other posters ****ing ****heads ,who mix & match persistently, out of context............

Its good to have u round,now u can finally tell us all what we been doing wrong for years now....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 integra coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXer
    Sorry,i mustve taken u calling most pro installers & the other posters ****ing ****heads ,who mix & match persistently, out of context............

Its good to have u round,now u can finally tell us all what we been doing wrong for years now....

um.. right... i give up.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    7K Veilside kits do not shatter I'm afraid,they BEND&FLEX.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Accord Euro Std 6MT
    I agree that the comments about only buying one brand of audio gear is not correct. There must have been a special on Alpine gear that day and the sales guy came up with that gem of a sales pitch !!

But seriously, dont through your money away on Kenwood or Alpine.... i mean we can all sit hear and quote 5000watt amps powering 1million watt subwoofers, but those in the know realise that that means nothing...

Just go out and buy a small (but high quality) American amp. It may only say 2x50watts on the side, but my amps have been happily running my 2 x 10 inch subs at 1ohm for over 10 years now and are still running strong.... Kenwood amps would have had a coronary about 9 years ago if they were doing the same thing . 25 trophies from 25 comps says it must be right