Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HID in dc2/r

Member Array
    Car:
    Nissan Cabstar
    Quote Originally Posted by taizon
    if u took some time to read my post. the first line says that im buying it for a DC2R..

other guys that are using the "cheap chinese knock off HID kits" did installing the HID kit require u to cut and moddify the rear of the Headlights to hold the bulb in place??
    woot.. my fault nevertheless, was jus trying to be helpful !

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpoh
    From you picture, your civic has aftermarket headlights. HID will MELT your head light housing. Think twice before purchasing. HID kits are good during dry normal nights but raining days, its a bit hard to see.
    properly designed and aimed hid lights work far better in the rain than stock lights do.

hid kits put off so much glare that in foul weather, you're right, it's nearly impossible to see.

There are tons of people out here running civics with aftermarket headlights... with a projector retrofit done, they work perfectly fine. Using the stock absolutely horrible projectors(the projectors in those aftermarket headlights are pretty much only good as paperweights), will cause problems, especially in the H3 based lights.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    In regards to cutting or anything like that, the one I had had the same 'fitting' as the oem bulbs. So no cutting was required....just pop stright in and twist to 'lock'

Quote Originally Posted by Icegroove
    In regards to cutting or anything like that, the one I had had the same 'fitting' as the oem bulbs. So no cutting was required....just pop stright in and twist to 'lock'

thanks.. i may havta look for a brand that will fit straight in..
    i've seen some that u have to cut and mod it.

wat about sourcing bulbs for HID's once they've blown?
    .. is it just a matter of finding the right size, voltage and temp ?

or would i have to purchase the exact same brand bulb?. i.e. can CNLIGHT... bulbs work with MTEC HID's.. ??!? and other HID brands?

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    From you picture, your civic has aftermarket headlights. HID will MELT your head light housing. Think twice before purchasing. HID kits are good during dry normal nights but raining days, its a bit hard to see.

Edit : Im using Acumen 6000k. Its white, its bright..
    true what you say about night time, raining the light just reflects everywhere.

HID's run cooler than halogens btw.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Legend KA9
    if money is an issue then why not just purchase some high performance halogens? such as european silverstars or philips vision plus? you would probably light up the road better than cheap drop in kits

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by taizon
    wat about sourcing bulbs for HID's once they've blown?
    .. is it just a matter of finding the right size, voltage and temp ?

or would i have to purchase the exact same brand bulb?. i.e. can CNLIGHT... bulbs work with MTEC HID's.. ??!? and other HID brands?
    high quality bulbs aren't going to blow anytime soon... cheap ones might

voltage and such will all be the same... what you have to be aware of is that the cheap bulbs have no standard for color temp, so a 7000k bulb from two different brands won't necessarily match. Also, the cheap bulbs use non standard hid connectors, so you have to be sure to get a bulb that uses whatever cheap connector the kit uses. Also, replacement bulbs for the cheap kits tend to cost quite a bit more than quality oem bulbs.

If you think a bulb is burnt out, check the ballast first(switch the bulbs from side to side, etc). On the kits, it's generally the ballast that goes first.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R

Edit : Im using Acumen 6000k. Its white, its bright..
    thats what i have as well..
    and it is white and bright.

just needed to ziptip ur modual nicely
    twist and lock and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by underc35a
    if money is an issue then why not just purchase some high performance halogens? such as european silverstars or philips vision plus? you would probably light up the road better than cheap drop in kits ..
    i was personally going to buy those phillps globes.
    but i was told by many people that i might as well drive with my head lights off! they are only bright but no shine.

there for i went the arcman HID's
    they where not as bright as i thought it was going to be.
    but all my friends can tell my car apart from every1 else 4 blocks away
    looks kool. ts white with a tinge of blue
    no 1 gets bothered by them

depends if u want show or proformance.
    just make sure u buy new high beams (phillps globes 4000k)
    otherwise ur gonna have white lows and yellow highs.
    dont forget to get rid of those yellow parkers too! $10

Member Array
    Car:
    F20C Clubman Build
    looks like the saxman is trying to defend himself again.
    Hey saxman: i dont think the australian honda scene is as big as those in the US and as into their HIDs as you guys over there. Over here its more about rice than functionality. Like you, Id rather have something that works best first time rather than buy the cheap chinese, korean knock off.
    I currently have a set of denso ballast with phiilips d2s bulbs, a set of hella gen 3 ballast with osrams bubls, a set of E46 bixenons which im stilling waiting to retro into my next car and a few other bits and pieces like E55 bixenons, E46 singles xenons.

What are you running in your car?
    Last edited by Boost; 26-09-2006 at 07:17 PM.

are u askin saxman about his integra?.. if he has one?
    or u askin me?

i can see where saxman is coming from. and he is right in many ways, if u want to do it right and get things working the way they should b..

but.. like most, i'd like the hid's more for a bling factor.. and as it also adds more light than most halogens.. but obvisously not as proper factory installed hids..

Member Array
    Car:
    F20C Clubman Build
    nar was asking saxman what setup hes got in his car..