Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe

Continuous VTEC developed by Honda [25-9-2006]

It's here! continuous VTEC!
    Quote Originally Posted by world.honda.com
    Honda Develops Advanced VTEC Engine Combining High Power and Environmental Performance

September 25, 2006–Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has further advanced its VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control System) technology with the development of the Advanced VTEC engine, which achieves high performance along with outstanding fuel economy and lower emissions. The new engine combines continuously variable valve lift and timing control with the continuously variable phase control of VTC (Variable Timing Control). Honda plans to release a production vehicle equipped with the new engine within three years.

Advanced VTEC engine

This new system permits optimum control over intake valve lift and phase in response to driving conditions, achieving improved charging efficiency for a significant increase in torque at all engine speeds. Under low to medium load levels, the valves are set for low lift and early closure to reduce pumping losses and improve fuel economy.

In combination with optimized intake components, these advances in control technology result in world-class dynamic performance along with approximately 13%* improvement in fuel economy. The new engine is also exceptionally clean, with exhaust emissions that meet both U.S. Environmental Protection Agency LEV2-ULEV regulations and Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport requirements for Low-Emission Vehicles, with emission levels 75% lower than those required by the 2005 standards (based on Honda calculations).

* Engine only, as compared to production 2.4-liter i-VTEC engine (Honda calculations)

Advanced VTEC Engine Overview
    Displacement: 2.4 liters

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060925VTEC/
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Nice, so us euro owners get a free upgrade?

I think Ferrari or Porsche already has a continuous variable valve system dont they? Where the cams shift sideways using angled cam lobes? Honda's new system is probably very similar.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    Nice, so us euro owners get a free upgrade?

I think Ferrari or Porsche already has a continuous variable valve system dont they? Where the cams shift sideways using angled cam lobes? Honda's new system is probably very similar.
    Porsche's VariocamPlus uses hydraulic actuators to increase valve lift and a mechanism similar to VTC for phasing.

Ferrari uses the cam sliding technique, which I think is silly. How reliable could you make a sliding cam in a 6000rpm changeover point? And the area of contact between the cam and rollers would be much narrower compared to conventional valvetrain. They must be using exotic materials and expecting the cams to last less than 200,000km (what Ferrari exceeds 100,000km anyway)

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Do we know how it actually works? Or are they keeping that a secret for now

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    Do we know how it actually works? Or are they keeping that a secret for now
    Still a secret. I guess they wanted to announce something for the petrol side along with their new diesel cat technology.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    lol fair enuf, gotta get the patents sorted first

a-VTEC advanced-VTEC

ai-VTEC advanced intelligent-VTEC

ci-VTEC continuous intelligent-VTEC

or simply VTAC for VariableTimingAdvancedControl lol

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Don't need the "i" as it is already in the advanced part.

Woah! Nice...

Nice Accord Euro...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

ppwwwaaaahhhhhhh fully fking hectic!!!! and it actually saves fuel i thought it woulda used up more scince its continuous
    Chunky = the first youngest ozhonda member ever

OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    emissions....boring, we want torque and power!!!
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    "11 Civic TypeR
    Quote Originally Posted by panda[cRx]
    emissions....boring, we want torque and power!!!
    ^^^

Aaron: Any idea on power output/torque delivery figures yet?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDC5S
    ^^^

Aaron: Any idea on power output/torque delivery figures yet?
    Nope, I think Honda just wanted to make an announcement alongside their diesel engine. But I suspect that this engine will be similar to when the first K series was released.... i-VTEC on the intake cams only and not for performance giving a normal power output like the k20a3.

Later down the road, they should release an engine with advanced vtec on intake and exhaust cams.