Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    bmw
    a friend did this to his car a while back.. he loved it.. im sure u would too when its finished.. he used an apple computer tho.. cos u can get a really tiny white mac. it was like 4cm x 4cm and the only problem we had with his car was that we had to rip everything off (back seats, rear side panel, and the dash) so the cord for the screen looked unnoticeable.. his car was a bmw mind u.. so it might be easier to do it in a honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Luxury

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    Quote Originally Posted by one4spl View Post
    if you read the above post you will notice i already have a 7inch touch screen, as well as that i have listed in my specs that I have a 500GB hard drive, 2GB RAM etc, l will also have the options of more customizing and upgrading with a custom PC, you may think of the G4 as doing it properly, i see it as doing it the expensive lazy way.. but each to there own.
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    my lilliput motorized single din is slowly dying...lucky its covered by 1 year warranty...

the hardest thing about carpc's is getting a decent screen.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    just ordered power supply, DC-DC will give some details when it shows up.

also ordered slot loading dvd drive

Have also completed custom Case
    installed inside is:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
    Corsair Micro 2GB DDR2 800mhz
    Abit Fatal1ty I90HD
    500GB SATA harddrive
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 22-01-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    i've seen an old shitbox with webcams in every window with a few monitors on the inside and a big "i'm watching you" sticker on the rear windscreen.

another friend was gonna insall one in his trans am, not sure if he ended up doin it or not.

as for the G4 type things, they are common in japan. they have all in one satnav/cd/tv/mp3/avi units with like 80gb hard drives.... very cool
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    helpful site for any one interested in doing carputer www.mo-co-so.com they also have an ebay store.

Received my DC-DC power supply from US today it didn't come with instructions/manual but after a quick search i found this site that has links to download the manual/spec's for a few models. (just in case some one needs them later)

Got my slot loading DVD drive will hook them up tonight and see how it all works.

So far have found MMD3 the best winamp skin for 7"inch touch screen, all the buttons are a good size the skin also looks really neat. Although i modded mine a little bit and added a "Honda" touch.. will post screen shot later.

Will also trail media engine as a front end tonight, as it is free and seems to have a good community support.
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 29-01-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: adding info
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    some pics so far..
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    more pics coming later. might right a DIY later if there are any requests.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray_Templar View Post
    some pics so far..
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    more pics coming later. might right a DIY later if there are any requests.
    diy write up please!

may i ask how much/how long did it take to do the case?
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    Sure thing SHOGUNOVDDRK, the case is made out of aluminum sheet, purchased at mitre 10, but probable get the same stuff at bunnings cheaper. it's about a 1.2 meter by 1.2 meter sheet ~1.2mm thick (would use 2mm if they had it). and is worth around ~$20. Also used some small nuts bolts and washers from super cheap auto ~$3 pack

all up case would of set me back around ~$40

Was about 5 hours work all up, using a dremel isnt that fast.. lol the hardest part is the folding.

The case was done in a steel etching primer then silver on the front then the blue all over (inside and out). ( I like spray cans there fun )

the whole in the top will eventually have some acrylic/perspex with ventilation slots or holes.

I Have already started a new case as i'm not 100&#37; happy with this one and think i can do better now i have all the hardware for PC, and can now work out a better size and dimension for the case.. (lower profile mostly, and better mounting for motherboard, hard drive and power supply).

Will try and write a DIY on the weekend if I have time
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 29-01-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    just some notes.. power supply is working well, and seems to be handling the power requirements of the PC hardware well.. Will have to do a few tests and run the CPU and hard drive at 100&#37; just to make sure.

(When building a CAR PC keep in mind that DC-DC power supplies can get a bit expensive so you might have to limit your hardware to match).

slot Loading DVD/CD-RW drive is great will be easy to mount in an easy to reach place, Its a very compact size and it is solely powered By USB so don't need a extra power lead for it.

Blue tooth USB dongle was ~$10 from eBay and works well, transfered photos from phone with it last night. Wireless USB card is very handy using it to download software updates etc from the net. (i have a wireless ADSL modem/Router at home).
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 30-01-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Salute to you guys .... Great jobs here and im so tempting of doing one now... LOL