Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Hey Dray_Templar, sounds like a cool project, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I was considering going down your road, but after playing with the G4, I was hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dray_Templar View Post
    if you read the above post you will notice i already have a 7inch touch screen, as well as that i have listed in my specs that I have a 500GB hard drive, 2GB RAM etc, l will also have the options of more customizing and upgrading with a custom PC, you may think of the G4 as doing it properly, i see it as doing it the expensive lazy way.. but each to there own.
    The G4 is expensive when you look at initial outlay, but if you take time into consideration (which I don't have alot of), the G4 is the cheap option for me. The factors I consider most important for a car PC is noise (I hate fan noise), boot/resume-time (resume from standby has to be as good as a factory HU) and screen/look quality. So far i've found the G4 covers all these very well. But anyway, as you rightly say, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by bungsai View Post
    my lilliput motorized single din is slowly dying...lucky its covered by 1 year warranty...

the hardest thing about carpc's is getting a decent screen.
    The screen and factory look of the G4 was what really hooked me. Before buying the G4, I did extensive research into double din screen options for a car PC, and nothing came close to the G4.

Have also completed custom Case
    installed inside is:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
    Corsair Micro 2GB DDR2 800mhz
    Abit Fatal1ty I90HD
    500GB SATA harddrive
    He he, those specs look more like a desktop PC What do you plan to do with all that grunt? Incidently, the G4 is upgradable (HDD and Memory).

I'm guessing you already know about Centrafuse (http://www.fluxmedia.net/)? I tested both Streetdeck and Centrafuse, and found CF to be much better.

Good luck with the project!

S.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    EuroSteve, thanks for the comments, probable part of the reason for me going the custom way is that I'm a Geek lol work in IT as a trade, so it had to be custom for me, would of kinda been like a custom hot rod builder buying a commodore otherwise..

Yeah i no, it's more of a custom pc specs, and overkill but i had to do it, gave my last pc to my bro for uni, so wanted something i can take out of the car and use aswell... and of coarse there is always the bragging rights hehe.

I must admit that the factory finish is a huge turn on for the G4, But I'm not flash with cash atm, and i have been able to build the carputer over time when i had a little spare cash.. and there's always the learning part and research and fabrication to give me something to do on those boring days.

might try and get it looking semi-factory eventually but will take some time.

I'm not sure about the screen i have its a response brand touch screen (not motorized) and not many people seem to have them , so not sure how it will stand up so will be just a case of try it out and see.

Yeah i spend alittle time on www.mp3car.com so seen centrafuse but was trying to find a decent free alternative.

on a side note made a rough and ready mount for my screen today out of some left over aluminum sheet i had, but think i will have to get some fiberglass or body filler to tidy it up abit. will post some more pics when it;'s day light and I'm not at work.

box fits nice and snuggle under front passenger seat.. can't take engineering credit for that just luck about time i had a little.

for cutting lots of sheet aluminum angle grinder > dremel... not that much easer just that you got through way to many dremel cut off discs.

Case mods:
    wasn't happy with the motherboard mounting, the aluminium wasn't stong enough to hold the stand off screws in place with out them the becoming wobble = solution hack an old case that had the mounts for the motherboard built in cut the) bottom out of it and pop rivet it to the base of my custom case, giving the whole case a stronger structure, giving me much better mounts and making the plug facia (no idea on technical name fit a lot better.
    Side note: remind me to use an old case not a brand new atec case for this job hehe, a bit to late this time but next time lol
    Also installed some power plugs and installed 20amp wire for power and 15amp fuse and holder (my power supply came with 15amp fuse installed, but decided it can't hurt to have anther on closer to the battery.)

Still need to get some perspex or other window type plastic, but hard to get in small county towns. think i might be able to hack a photo frame from the Warehouse (cheap place) that comes with plastic instead of glass. yeah tis dodge welcome to country living!!
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 03-02-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    scraped the aluminum mount for the screen, took the screen apart and cut it to pieces, and made it fit the dual DIN just nice, looks good will take some pics later sometime, test ran the system in the car, powering it off a car jump starter pack, it's coming along really nicely.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    some pics

Carputer Screen (Response Brand). Modded to fit double DIN

Car PC under Front Passenger Seat

Last edited by Dray_Templar; 07-02-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 DC2
    wow it's been ages since i looked at this..
    getting more hardware..

Abit f-190HD ( micro ATX motherboard)
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2Ghz or 2.2Ghz
    2GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram
    500GB SATA2 Harddrive
    Power Supply still to get
    that's massively overkill mate. i like your style (Y) hehe... looks like you did a brilliant job of it! next stereo i put together (which wont be for a while) will be computer based. its the most flexible way to go.

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    I had a response screen as my first one. It is the same as the 'SUPER' brand screens you see on ebay AFAIK.

my first one broke, i was running it off the unregulated ciggy ligher using the supplied ciggy lighter adaptor.

It fit the DC2 double din area PERFECTLY.

I returned it to my supplier of jaycar products (friend with an Electus account) and he just gave me a new one which i promptly sold when i sold my car.

Since then ive been running the lilliput Gl701 bought from Brash Imports The mororized mechanism stopped working but the screen worked fine if i manually pulled it out.

Im about to send my Gl 701 back to China to get repaired (probably replaced).

After that im not sure what i want to do.

I am very happy with my Cd player right now, but i sure as hell will miss GPS and movies when im bored + the massive music selection and on the fly playlists.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    I had a response screen as my first one. It is the same as the 'SUPER' brand screens you see on ebay AFAIK.

my first one broke, i was running it off the unregulated ciggy ligher using the supplied ciggy lighter adaptor.
    thanks mate.. thats how i'm running mine atm.. might put it on the regulated side of the PS.. hopefully keeps it going for alittle longer.

cheers for the info
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    yep i would definately wire it in to regulated power.

pretty sure that was the reason mine died.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    run 90% of power leads for caputer today should have it all done soon..
    accord 98-02 v6 power leads from battery

hoping to get 4 channel amp late next week, looking at a response brand as they seem to have a reasonable reputation and seem to be good value for.
    money (Other Recommendation Greatly appreciated) . (mono-block and sub later down the track).

power for carputer:
    positive from battery to carputer
    negitive from batter to carputer
    Ignition power to carputer [note this is only for the power supply to know when car is on and not, the power supply has a build in timer that starts the carputer a certain amount of time (adjustable via jumpers on power supply) after ignition to stop damage to carputer during engine cranks etc].
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 08-02-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fixed some words.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    lol your setup is very similar to my old one.

The response 4 x 50w is an awesome amp.

I've personally installed 4 or 5 of them.

No problems, good clean power and definate bang for buck.

What gps mouse and software are you using?
    Last edited by bungsai; 08-02-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    lol your setup is very similar to my old one.

The response 4 x 50w is an awesome amp.

I've personally installed 4 or 5 of them.

No problems, good clean power and definate bang for buck.

What gps mouse and software are you using?
    No GPS yet.. still have my TOM TOM XL, so not stressing over it, but will get there.

seen a few of the GPS aerials on the same ebay site that i got my PS and dvd/cd drive from probable be the way i go eventually, but that can wait till after i get sound sorted.. no head unit, and no sound from carputer =
    will sort out the software after that.. pretty sure it will be a case of something that i can get Australian maps for and is easy to use with touch screen.. (sugestions welcome as i will no doubt look this up when i get upto setting up GPS on it).

any experience with the response mono blocks powering subs? pretty sure i will be going earthquake sub and amp.. (mate won't shut up about them hehe probable for good reason). but still would be nice to know if the response mono blocks are on par with there 4 channel.

do you have a new set up? can ya give some specs or pass on any ideas, or tips?
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 08-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    oh hey i might have some stuf fyou are interested in.

I got a spare bu 303 gps mouse and a JVC dvd/mp3 cd head unit, BUT for some reason it hasnt been playing cd's or dvd's, and only the line in works, which has been perfect for me when running my carpc, but now my carpc is out, i need cd functions so i bought a new deck.

got aussie maps and mapmonkey with destinator 3 if u want too.

from what ive heard ALL of the response stuff is rather good including the splits and 12" kevlar sub.

Current set up is out of the car because of POS screen.

but

Screen - Lilliput Gl701
    GPS - Bu353
    PSU - Opus 150
    Computer - Dell Optiplex, p4 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 100gb HDD boot mounted in orignal case attached to sub/amp box.
    Software - Road Runner with Simplistique skin, map monkey with Destinator 3
    Audio - Icemat Siberia USB soundcard plugged into 7 port USB hub behind my dash. Plugged into Head unit via aux.
    Cabling - 5m vga-vga extender and single 5m USB cable with signal booster for 7 port USB hub.

OLD SETUP

Screen - Response touch screen (died on me, got a new one, never installed it cos changed cars and this car needed a motorized)
    GPS - bu303 (got the 353 from a friend, it is slightly faster)
    PSU - DSATX - i accidently grounded it on my car chassis and now it gives me the 5 blinking lights of death and im dont know how to fix it, but im sure i can...one day.
    Computer - p4 2.0 ghz, mini atx mobo, 2gb ram, 60gb hdd, un enclosed, (had it bolted onto a piece of wood) HDD died when i hit the bumpy roads.
    Software - Same
    Audio - Same but with different head unit
    Cabling - Same.
    Last edited by bungsai; 08-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.