Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Lux

DC2 rear suspension noises

Hey all

This is my first proper post so here goes....
    I have stock '98 Integra DC2 with 61000 k's, and have just had 2 rear trailing arm bushes replaced with OEM bushes at a Honda workshop and the rest of the rear suspension checked out.
    After this work was done there is now a 'pop' noise coming the rear when ever I turn left or right at a bit more than average speed or if there is a bump in the road that I am turning on. I did not hear this noise before, regardless of bumps or how energetically the car was driven.
    Has anyone else (integra owner or otherwise) experienced this after getting rear trailing arm bushes replaced, or has an idea of what it could be?

I have searched the forums but while there is information about aftermarket swaybars(mine is stock) hitting exhausts, there is nothing relating that to rear trailing arm bushes being replaced.
    I'm no mechanic but my guess is that the (stock) swaybar is now hitting the exhaust as the pop noise sounds like metal on metal. I have crawled underneath the car and there is approximately a fingerwidth's gap between the swaybar and exhaust pipe, but I am unsure how much of a gap there was before. Can new bushes alter the ride height somehow? The swaybar bushes also do not look as though they have come loose either.

Thanks in advance

P.s. Mods if this is in the wrong section please move.

can you post a pic of what your set up looks like. I only started getting bump noises when I changed to jdm lcas and the exhaust was hitting the lower control arm.
    blah blah blah

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Lux
    Took some pics tonight

Right side

Left side

Spunky - Any signs I can look for to indicate what is being hit?

Btw I will be taking the car back to the workshop tomorrow to inform the person who changed the trailing arm bushes. I'm not very impressed because from what I've been reading on other forums is that the 'popping' noise is generally a sign that trailing arm bushes need to be replaced, as opposed to new ones being put in.

Cheers

Hard to tell from the angle of the shots - but it looks like your swaybar is very close to your shock on the left hand side?

Hard to tell on the right, but it doesn't look like their is much clearance for the exhaust either.

pic of what mine looks underneath - although I have itr lcas...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~spun...ky/mypic30.jpg

Hope they can fix it for you.
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    93 integra vtir
    sorry to go off topic, but could you tell me how much it cost you to get those bushes changed, i think i need to get mine done aswell

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Lux
    Spunkmonkey - The noises have reduced alot in the last few days, so its not such a big concern now. I took the car to the head mechanic yesterday and he put it up on a lift to check all the bolts were tightened properly. So not sure what else I can do... except upgrade to a type r swaybar/LCA's and better shocks and springs. hehe

Weeman - The pair of trailing arm bushes alone cost me about $120 from a honda dealer. But the bigger costs were in the labour, as most of the rear suspension will have to be taken apart to get to the trailing arm bushes (or so I have been told). It cost me more than $300 for labour but this included a full wheel alignment.
    You might want to consider if there are other parts in the suspension you want replaced/installed at the same time to try and save yourself some money on labour.
    However worn trailing arm bushes is something you want to get fixed ASAP!

I can take a pic of the worn ones that came out of my DC2 if you want to know what they look like.

Member Array
    Car:
    93 integra vtir
    yeh that would be good, i think i have an idea of which one it is, i can see it has a slight crack in it, it was detected when i bought the car by the nrma inspection dude. hasn't really given me any grief, but sometimes it feels like the car is fighting me when im turning right, just doesn't feel right compared to when i turn left, this usuall occurs on rounda bouts at a decent speed, was just thinking that maybe that is the problem. i wouldn't mind replacing all the suspension bushes front and rear, but that would probly cost a fair bit

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Lux
    Bit of an update...
    After mentioning my problem to a few colleagues at my work, one of them turned out to be an ex-mechanic who knew of a place where we could use lifts and tools for free. So I went down there at lunch today with him and got the car on the lift. We started pushing the back end up and down so someone could listen and locate the source of the clunking/creaking.
    It turned out to be the upper control arm mounts and bushes on the drivers side. One bolt was not tightened 'fully' and the bushes appeared to not be lubricated that well.
    After taking off the wheel and using a jack to load the suspension we then used silicone lubricant on the bushes and tightened every bolt we could see. Also relubricated the swaybar D bushes with rubber grease and tightened that all up as well.
    And Presto! no more squeaks, creaks or clunks! Quietest the car has been ever. According to my colleague the trick is to make sure that everything is tightened when the suspension is under load.
    Hope this experience will help someone else!
    Cheers