Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Servicing a Honda at a Honda Dealership

Lately...this has increasingly been a ripoff.

I have two Hondas in my garage - a 2001 CR-V and a 1999 Civic Coupe - both were recently due for its 60,000k and 80,000k service respectively. So I rang my local Honda dealership to get a price for a service on the two cars with the intention of booking it in as well.

I got my quotes and for some reason decided to try ringing other Honda dealers around the area to get their quote for the same service, assuming it would be exactly the same price for the same service, since it was all part of the Honda network. Alas...nothing could be farther from the truth. Prices for the exact same service varied substantially among Honda dealers! Why would this be?? You'd think that pricing would be standardised among Honda dealerships for logbook servicing?? I certainly wouldn't want to think that all Honda owners are required to ring around all their dealerships everytime their products are due for service just to get the cheapest price?? Where is the standardisation?

Anyway, both cars were eventually booked at the cheapest dealer and the work performed. This is when shock number 2 reared its ugly head. The CR-V cost a total of $750 and the Civic cost a total of $1200. Holy god....... OK, both cars needed some extra work done such as front brake pads (which I knew was coming), and the Civic needed a wheel alignment, and the CR-V required a transmission flush. That was all. The CR-V's 60k service isn't a large one, however the Civic's 80k is (they change all fluids and filters and everything). Now I have a huge dent on my credit card.

Then I got talking to a relative who has two Hondas as well (a Euro and a HR-V). She said she used to take it to the same place I did for servicing but once the warranty ran out on both cars, she now takes both vehicles to Ultratune. She swears by them and says that their fees are half the cost of Honda dealers for the same log book service. Now I've heard many horror stories about Ultratune but she says she has never had a problem with them and her Hondas are running beautifully, and the savings she is making by going to Ultratune just makes Honda dealerships seem like a ripoff as the bulk of the charge is in the LABOUR. Hmm.......

Then another bloke with a Toyota Camry said he used to take his Camry to Toyota themselves and ran into the same ridiculous high servicing costs. He now takes his Camry to K-Mart Auto every time and saves a fortune, also never had an issue with them.

Now I am beginning to question taking our cars to the dealership for servicing...we've always been led to believe they look after the car best but the costs are becoming increasingly and ridiculously high, especially when compared to other places like Ultratune and even K-Mart (heaven forbid).

Not sure what to do now for future servicing...

Member Array
    Car:
    gogomobile
    do the servicing yourself.

If you spent one day you could have done it all yourself following tutorials, the only challenge you would have had is the wheel alignment and brake pads.

Would have saved urself a lot of money too.

I don't trust any mechanics, they all seem to do shit jobs, and its hard to tell becuase half the time u don't see what they have done.
    "When a man has reached the stage of having just about everything a woman could ask for, she usually does."

/Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Learn how to detail properly

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    i'm of the principlee, pay a little more and know the jobs done right

having said that i DONT take it to Honda

i'd rather a long time friend cane my car rather than some pimple faced 19yo. At least i know they wont be completely stupid with it

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The cheapest dealer usually tries to bump up profit by adding extra costs. In this respect, the "middle price" dealer is usually the cheapest in the end.

And they should have called you to confirm the extra work.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    if they go ahead and change something, that you had to consent them to, you don't have to pay for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The reason Ultratune is cheaper is beacuse they use non-genuine parts (such as Repco equivelents) and fluids. But yeah Honda dealers still blow up the price on top of the extra cost of Honda parts. I got charged close to $50 for Oil, when FEO is like ~$30, plus I got a sus $22 surcharge fee or something... dodgy.

I'm doing the servicing myself when the warranty expires... ive already saved myself something like $5000 servicing my Civic myself.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    The reason Ultratune is cheaper is beacuse they use non-genuine parts (such as Repco equivelents) and fluids. But yeah Honda dealers still blow up the price on top of the extra cost of Honda parts. I got charged close to $50 for Oil, when FEO is like ~$30, plus I got a sus $22 surcharge fee or something... dodgy.

I'm doing the servicing myself when the warranty expires... ive already saved myself something like $5000 servicing my Civic myself.
    wrong not all ultratune shops use aftermarket parts.
    3 ultratune shops always call us for genuine parts, yes even oil filters and sump plug washers.
    it's the labour, that's expensive

Member Array
    Car:
    8thGen Civic VTi
    while mines under warranty it will go to the dealer. i dont want them saying that something screwed up coz of a non genuine part or screwed job somewhere else. they can only blame themselves then

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    if you go to a dealer you will get rediculously overcharged. ive seen/heard it again and again. unless you absolutely have to, avoid them. the trick is to find a reputable private mechanic who knows ur car/s but so far i havent had any luck...

personally i service my own cars and a few other peoples car...

they come to me for the general service items which i charge them mates rates...

but if i had a brand new honda id take it to honda for major services but minor oil changes id do myself save myself the money.. and any warranty issues id def take it bak to honda for the diagnosis and computer stuff...

coz with the major services you would at least have a record of going to honda at least once a year making your warranty still valid.. and when u change the oil yourself you use genuine stuff so that they woudlnt know if you did it yourself or not

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    lmfao don't go to ultratune or other el cheapo workshops.

we get a fair few customers that go to them for a service or 2 then come back running to us (i work at a dealer)

half of the 'cheaper' workshops end up charging just as much for some services anyway and you are gettign a second rate job. do you really think that an ultratune will know your car as well as a honda dealer?

the reason for the price variances between dealers is they all do things outside of whats listen in the service manual. things like transmission services, engine additives and miscellaneous other goodies.

if you just want whats listen in the service book TELL THEM THAT. ask for a straight BOOK SERVICE with BOOK TIMES if you are more concerned with money than your car. just remember what is listed in the book is the BARE MINIMUM or what is recommended to keep the car performing at it's optimal level.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Jazz VTi, '00 RD1 CRV
    I take mine to Southside Honda in Brisbane and have nothing but praise for their level of service. They tell you straight up exactly what they are going to do in the service and how much it will be. It's never a cent more. If something comes along they didnt know about, they will always call you for verbal consent to go ahead.

Yeah it can hurt sometimes maintaining it but its the reason my cars done nearly 300,000km with perfect bodywork and mechanicals.