Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    its not just about feeding cold air to it.
    as weq said intake length has a big effect. for that size throttle body its not ideal to have the pod stuck straight on.
    it's basically the same principle that applies to intake manifold runner length. for example the intake runners on an ITR are quite short which works well for the B18CR. however, sticking that intake manifold on a stock B16A and you're almost certain to see losses in power simply because those runner lengths aren't ideal for that engine.
    basically its not a one size fits all, shortest route kind of deal. NA engine draw air in pulses. pulses are essentially waves and waves have wavelengths. length tuning takes into account these wavelengths. of course wavelengths will change with different engine speeds so therefore different intake lengths will benefit different parts of the rev range.
    you also have to consider intake velocity. think about a straw and how its diameter and length would affect how fast you could suck liquid through it. too large and too short a straw and you'd struggle. however, too long and too narrow and it would be restricive. its all about finding a balance. an engine works the same........

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    Quote Originally Posted by Klayemore
    Very detailed example of what I'm on about - I cant see why it wouldnt feed cold air aswell as increase throttle response....

Would be something to look into I think. (ice is an added option) haha
    lmfao at pic!!

i expected something better from you man hahahaha
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

I thought it was one of my finer works

And sivic - you do make a valid point
    The CSS Gallery List - Website Submission Made Easier

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    destrukshn, what difference did going from the sri to the cai make? Which do you prefer and why?
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by sivic
    its not just about feeding cold air to it.
    as weq said intake length has a big effect. for that size throttle body its not ideal to have the pod stuck straight on.
    it's basically the same principle that applies to intake manifold runner length. for example the intake runners on an ITR are quite short which works well for the B18CR. however, sticking that intake manifold on a stock B16A and you're almost certain to see losses in power simply because those runner lengths aren't ideal for that engine.
    basically its not a one size fits all, shortest route kind of deal. NA engine draw air in pulses. pulses are essentially waves and waves have wavelengths. length tuning takes into account these wavelengths. of course wavelengths will change with different engine speeds so therefore different intake lengths will benefit different parts of the rev range.
    you also have to consider intake velocity. think about a straw and how its diameter and length would affect how fast you could suck liquid through it. too large and too short a straw and you'd struggle. however, too long and too narrow and it would be restricive. its all about finding a balance. an engine works the same........
    Correct.

Short intake pipes make more torque(and therefore power) at high rpm
    Long intake pipes make more torque(and therefore power) at low rpm.

Check any top fuel dragster and you will notice very short intake pipes and short exhaust pipe lengths to get a resonant frequency that promotes good cylinder fill at a certain rpm point.

Fitting a pod onto the throttle body WILL make the car very unresponsive at low rpm. Doing 100Km/h in 5th gear and trying to overtake without dropping back to 3rd gear, would be a waste of time.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Why does a CAI also lose torque at low RPM though eventhough it has a long intake pipe?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    POS
    wouldn't an intake that narrows down to the TB size be of more advantage? because it would create the air to travel at a higher velocity? kinda creating a supercharge effect...

thats the idea behind ITB's... wonder if it would work on an intake?

btw- pod on TB...

EDIT: realised sivic half covered my post... sorry!
    Last edited by turtleEK1; 22-10-2006 at 04:23 PM.
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Why does a CAI also lose torque at low RPM though eventhough it has a long intake pipe?
    The pipe diameter also needs to be taken into account.
    N14 Pulsar - VQ35 swap, Kelford C spec cams, 12.7:1CR, 6 speed HLSD, BC coilovers & 350Z 12.6" F brakes
    Smashed VY SS Ute: Teins, AP Racing brakes, Billet wheels, lazy 481rwKw TT kit - PICS

Quote Originally Posted by iamhappy46
    Correct.

Check any top fuel dragster and you will notice very short intake pipes and short exhaust pipe lengths to get a resonant frequency that promotes good cylinder fill at a certain rpm point.
    Your smoking crack again dude check your facts before your make such a stupid comment.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    Hang on, according to iamhappy46 CAI make more torque at low rpm (ie. less torque at high rpm, but then according to aaronng they lose torque at low rpm, and according to the dynosheet from the K&N website for their typhoon CAI there was a drop in power in the mid range compared to the stock intake. So combining all these together CAI don't seem to be netting any advantages at all! Something's not adding up!
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    I have played around with mine with the pipe to the pod bulls**t and it was crap. car lagged like no tomorrow. As for pipe size! would use 3.5" as apossed to 3". Personally exposed pods aren't that good unless you do it right. Best is to have them enclosed like the ford BA xr8 uses. I have pretty much replicated there setup
    Last edited by IZY-10; 23-10-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I had an exposed pod for a while. All sound and no change in performance. With my airbox around the pod and cold air feed, the car now performs slightly better than when stock.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2