Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FWD vs RWD?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    ESP will try to rein your tail in, while TC will cut power to prevent anymore loss of grip. But as always, you can outsmart ESP and TC. So don't expect it to save idiots.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by deon
    ESP and traction control are completely different.
    tho in lot of cases they do work together, and both systems are only as good as the program thats running them. there are many systems out there that either operate way to quickly (ie no fun ) or don't respond to situation untill it's almost to late.

but i definataley agree that they are not designed to make cars idiot proof

some of those older civics and integra's are cool but in terms of new cars they're no fun.
    what is it that makes em no fun? i love going for a good fang through the hills in my dc5r, granted its not the fastest thing on 4 wheels tho i have given my mate with a jap spec evo 8 a fright a couple of times. and for the money i paid for it i could of got an s15 or something like that but the dc5r just felt like a more challenging car to drive quickly.

As aimre said honda dont really make a car thats enjoyable to drive (aside from the s2000 and nsx, which are rediculously overpriced)
    maybe not right now. i havent driven a nsx (unfortunatley) but i have given a s2k a good drive on a couple of occasions and all i can say is you obviously havent driven a ITR or CTR

and you say that silver_screen has no idea with his comment about the GTR, at the same time you need to have a look around for some of the vids which show ITR's and CTR's giving different AWD cars a hard time. a good FWD car is not always inferior to AWD or RWD.

and at the end of the day most of the differences will be when driving at or near the limit, which not many of us will be able to or should be doing on the road.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    FWD cars are usually lighter than their AWD (and even sometimes RWD) counterparts.

If you are taking a corner and you are not yet accelerating, then FWD will have an advantage if it is a light car where the front:rear weight ratio is not too extreme. AWD and RWD has an advantage in how early they can apply the throttle out of the turn. FWD usually is able to apply throttle only later compared to AWD and RWD.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    So after reading through the posts, what it comes down to (For everyday driving on PUBLIC roads) is

Price
    Weight
    Handling for Noobs
    Wet Weather Traction

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    My FWD civic DOES have a hump in the middle, and so does EVERY other FWD car -> I <- have been in, so that aint a real reason.
    mate, most new FWD dont have this issue

its to do with suspension i believe, or how the suspension works

my 05civic has indepedent double wish bone suspension

therfore it works completley on its own, away from the rest of the car, eliminating the need of a rear axle and eliminating that bump

the older style FWD suspension did have an axle goin to the back, as it was a part of the rear suspension set up

and this was somhow related to the front of the car, im not sure, ill try and look it up
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Member Array
    Car:
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by krogoth
    mate, most new FWD dont have this issue

its to do with suspension i believe, or how the suspension works

my 05civic has indepedent double wish bone suspension

therfore it works completley on its own, away from the rest of the car, eliminating the need of a rear axle and eliminating that bump

the older style FWD suspension did have an axle goin to the back, as it was a part of the rear suspension set up

and this was somhow related to the front of the car, im not sure, ill try and look it up
    Isn't that bump for the exhaust?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Bump for the exhaust tunnel.
    Zombie horde.... yummmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    noobs.
    lol.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Bump for the exhaust tunnel.
    Zombie horde.... yummmmm
    Also for the fuel tank? In the rear of the civic that is where the tank is located.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    its for the zorst tunnel?

thanx for the corection

such a huge bump though.......lol

hmmz, i wonder how they got rid of the bump in newer models, ill have to look it upzzz
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Quote Originally Posted by Petronas
    So after reading through the posts, what it comes down to (For everyday driving on PUBLIC roads) is

Handling for Noobs
    Wet Weather Traction
    which (especially in teh wet) dont have..

[quote=aarong] FWD usually is able to apply throttle only later compared to AWD and RWD. [quote]

..a slower exit speed ...thus would make you slower, why would you want that?

Member Array
    Car:
    A white one
    [quote=deon]which (especially in teh wet) dont have..

[quote=aarong] FWD usually is able to apply throttle only later compared to AWD and RWD.

..a slower exit speed ...thus would make you slower, why would you want that?
    Otherwise the car will simply understeer, the difference between RWD is that you can turn by steering and by applying/re-applying the gas, but with FF, its difficult to do so. That is why all top end race cars are RWD, they are simply faster.