Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Hi guys, i am looking at options for lowering my car. Searching on Ebay i found alot of these coilover kits which are basically sleeves which sit on the stock perch, and allow some adjustment of the height. I do realise that you get what you pay for (these kits are selling for as little as US$40!), but how bad are these kits???

Has anyone here tried using one of these kits? I am not lowering my car to increase the cornering ability; i will admit that i just want to do it for looks 8)

So if i am willing to accept poor cornering for looks, would these suit me?

Honda-tech.com mentioned that GroundControl makes good sleeve-over kits (actually improve performance), but they are also a fair bit more...

Any comments? would love to hear comments from those with first hand experience...

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Basically, as you said, you get what you pay for - sometimes...
    Personally, I would buy a set of second hand springs before I bought an Ebay Special...... Hell, I'd buy second hand Pedders before I bought one of those kits

But, that doesn't answer you question, so here goes
    My mate bought a kit like this for his ED civic - he figured it was worth a shot. First problem was the person installing it laughed when he saw what was going in... Anyway, driving out of the driveway, it was scraping its ass - and it was set on the highest height - and had 1mm of adjustability - so that was a big problem. Other problems included, as a result of the height, camber and tyre wear, and one rediculous spring rate - King superlows are softer than these things - which was extremely uncomfortable and very hard to drive - it was riding the bumpstops.

The final problem with them was the issue with them dying a horrible death. At the fate of a rock in the national park, the shock head was found punched through the bonnet....

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    dude, trust me, you do NOT want those sleeves. I bought some Ractive ones for like $500 and they didnt even fit (had i put them on, the sleeve would have shattered because of the way it was sitting). Luckily i bought them from a good retailer and could return them.

How low do you want to go?

lol i dont think buying from ebay is a good idea.... not sure about you
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    As low as this photoshopped pic:

But the problem is, i still want to be able to raise it some times... See, my last car was a Soarer, and that had adjustable airbag suspension standard; it has made me expect too much i think...

But what McChook said has made me rethink this idea. Strut through the bonnet? No thanks!!! And imagine i was doing 110km/h when it happened??

Someone has offered me some kings superlows second hand, so i think i'll try that first... Anyone got pics of Accords on Superlows?

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    Is this low enough?

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Yep, thats pretty much exactly how low i want... But me thinks that is a different car to mine

Is that how low SuperLows are?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    well, this is the height my springs/shocks are:

And at that height, i found it to be undrivable, so i put it up half an inch

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Really, damn... Thats pretty much how i want mine... What do you mean 'undrivable'? What kind of ground clearance would you have?

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    For the springs on the civic, Ask "Mr. Plow" I forgot his username lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 JDM Legend 'Exclusive'
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik
    Someone has offered me some kings superlows second hand, so i think i'll try that first... Anyone got pics of Accords on Superlows?
    Kings don't come in superlows for the cd series accord.

You can download their catalog here:
    http://www.kingsprings.com/Kings%20M...e%20041103.pdf

Raz

Member Array
    Car:
    400HP cd5 Accord
    Dont even think about buying these things!!!!!!
    They have the most horrible ride in the world and they are really soft!!!!!!
    Please don't buy them! I had them in my car for a total of 5 mins and took them off.