Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Mitsubishi Colt TME
    i got my pioneer sub for like 60 bucks. hook ups lah.

pity It got SUMASHED. so im running some crap Xplod that I bought for 50 brand new.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    From my own experience, and im my own opinion, 'better' speakers seems to sound clearer and more controlled than their cheaper counterparts.

This is pretty important when you're considering a sub, because most people feed a fair bit of power to them and expect alot.

What I have also seen is cheap subs running off cheap amps. Put in a half decent amp and take some time to build a decent box and you can get a considerable improvement. Much of the problem is often installation.

In my own car, I've had a Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, JL, Rockford, and probably others I can't remember.

My fave for clarity was the JL, my fave for low and big hitting bass was the Rockford, the Pioneer and Alpine crapped themselves pretty early on, and the Sony is still going strong, but does seem a little ragged down low.

Having said all that, the Alpine and Pioneers were entry level, the Sony was a $300 DVC (I still see that as entry level...) and the JL and Rockfords were around $500 i'd say. Different boxes too, so there are too many variables...

Don't forget that people associate different features with different brands, whilst they fail to take into account price points. I have heard little difference between a $100 Sony and a $100 Pioneer for instance. Maybe there is a difference, I just can't hear it.

Go out and buy the sub you like, and make up your own mind. Don't jump on any bandwagons, if you're stuck with something crummy, try making it sound good. Thats all the fun!
    Too old for bodykits

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Redteg
    Go out and buy the sub you like, and make up your own mind. Don't jump on any bandwagons, if you're stuck with something crummy, try making it sound good. Thats all the fun!
    yeah thats some great advice there. when i first got into car audio, i started with a Venom 15" sub ($99 at jaycar) and a 450wrms responce amp and stock speekers. real entry level stuff, but alot of sound quality comes from the tuning, bass loading (direction sub fires), box design etc. i had a person who had spent $1000 dollars on sound gear go - hey nice system bro wat u runnin? wen i tell em it cost me bout $350 all up, and im using cheapest components, the look on his face was priceless, i hopped in his car and honestly it sounded crap, tinny sounding, no mid range, no louder than my shit setup.

back on topic, any ideas on what ur doin for an amp or is that department sorted?

Member Array
    out of the two the JBL is definately a winner
    Quote Originally Posted by riceball View Post
    ballers like barefootbonzai can afford to spend money on his car and save for a future...

Member Array
    Car:
    8thGen Civic VTi
    yea sounds like jbl is the go. thanks pplz

Member Array
    Car:
    The Crusader (0
    easy choice, JBL. Why does sony still make speakers for? anyone know lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by DSNTGR8
    easy choice, JBL. Why does sony still make speakers for? anyone know lol
    Its called Brand Power. They are taking advantage of the "sony" name to sell crap speakers that are double the price they are really worth.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 95 EG
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    Nooo dont get Sony speakers, they are overpriced and sound terrible.

JBL are better, but you are better off getting a decent brand such as Boston Accoustics, Adire, Kicker, JL Audio, etc..
    hahaha

JBL range is shit loads better then all those brands except for Boston Acoustic, I cant believe your trying to put JBL down. JBL GTO range which was entry level until this year is better then many jap brand mid level. JBL GTi range is just as good as anything Boston put out. This company prides itself at quality and shit loads of amplifier power. And banana heads always compare JBL Gto and CS range with Alpine Type S/R and Rockford Power products. There not in the same league and if you ever saw JBL Power series and GTi series products you wouldnt be knocking the brand.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 95 EG
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude
    Its called Brand Power. They are taking advantage of the "sony" name to sell crap speakers that are double the price they are really worth.
    Thats crap. Sony's range this year has been better then the last 5. There speakers are as good as pioneers but for the price you pay for the CD, Amps and Subs its a very good choice for people who want to spend $1K for a system. Sony speakers are always sold well under the RRP and the price you do pay when on special is quite a good one. You dont pay retail for them unless your realy bad at shopping around. Sony is the Second bigest car audio company in the world behind pioneer. Reason being is that more people are wanting systems for $1K rather then $1.5-2K+ if you go for american brands.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    ergh man ive bought plenty of sony speakers even recent ones, they all sound terrible to me - including a $220 pair of 6x9's which sounded tinny and one blew a few months later for no apparent reason. Never had pioneer speakers, but ive been told a few times that they arent much better than sony. Although the expensive range is ok.

Recently bought some JL Audio 6x9's for about the same price as the Sony's, and they are heaps better in every aspect. Couldnt believe the difference in SPL and SQ
    .© ♪

Rockford Fosgate is my personal favourate
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK civic
    sonys r shit... JBLs r ok and rockford fosgate rock! :P i had a set of theyre 6x9's and they sounded great!