Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F

Euro lux with sat nav?

Any one got a lux with optional sat nav?

It is almost a definate that im going to Perth (got BHP contract sitting on kitchen table), the missus is keen on sat nav, and to be honest, so am I.

Anyway, is the honda sat nav system any good? How much does it cost? And is it worth paying for Honda sat nav over say a navman system?

Of course this is if I decide to get a lux over a base.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Honda's SatNav is a 3000 option including GST.

It works very well, because I believe it has external antennae, and it also has dead reckoning, so that your car's movement is continually tracked, even if you have no satellite signals (e.g., if you are in a heavily build-up area, or in an undercover car park). This means that once the car is started, the GPS works almost immediately (after booting up) as it does not require time to lock onto satellite, which would be the case with portable unit.

Like most in-car system, Honda SatNav is also hard wired to the stereo/aircon/odometer/time clock(?) etc. The advantage is that when there is a navigational announcement, the front speaker mutes your music. The annoying part of this feature is that sometimes the navigational announcements really gets in the way of you enjoying your music.

The disadvantage of Honda SatNav is that operating aircon/radio involves extra push of the buttons. the LCD screen is not as visible as i like in direct daylight, and you lose some central console storage space as the result of having the DVD-rom there for the SatNav. Although it should be real easy to also link the LCD screen to a reversing camera, this option is not avaliable.

As for the navigational database, the data is 3 years old for Perth. so many major road upgrades are not included in the database which can be amusing/frustrating. And each new version cost a fortune when compared to the humble street directory, which is another sticky issue I have with Sat Nav.

Operating the SatNav is straight forward. Some operations like entry of street name can be a bit slow compared to modern computer because it is looking through the DVD as you type.

The display is 2 dimensional with a directional indicator on the right side. This is unlike most hand held models which are now using 3-D bird eye view with the directional arrow superimposed over the road. Compared to high-end portable SatNav units, Honda's unit is missing some whiz bang features like blue tooth connectivity, mp3 playing/ipod integration and traffic camera location etc.

Realistically, 3000 is a lot to spend on GPS, but you don't have to worry about dangling wires and theft as with portable GPS units. The convenience factor cannot be measured in money alone. Now that I have mostly forgotten how much it is costing me, I think I have made the right decision in getting my Euro with GPS.

cheers.
    Caveat: I do not own a portable unit, so some of my comment about portable GPS may not be totally correct, please feel free to correct my opinion.
    Last edited by mastcell; 10-11-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Thankyou very much for the great reply Mastcell!
    $3k is a bit much, I might just have to go for the portable option.
    trying to make directions out of that street directory is not very amusing at all! Perth is easy to get around, I just end up going somewhere new everytime I go for a drive. I always end up where I want to go eventually......

3 years old for the nav database, does that include the portable versions too?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive
    ...3 years old for the nav database, does that include the portable versions too?
    Probably the same database is used for portable units too as they all come from Sensis. I have Sensis WhereIs Version 12 DVD (It was the latest last time I checked).

The information leaflet inside the DVD case says this: 'Incremental update to Perth 2003 UBD edition 45'.
    The most obvious ommision, imo, is Roe Highway from Kwinana F'way to Albany H'way. This section of Roe H'way was built around end of 2003, which means that the database is at least 3-4 years out of date!!!

Also, main country roads are covered but many secondary roads are not. You should still carry a map for those areas.

Have a look at www.whereis.com

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    PM bustersonic12. he has the 06 lux with satnav
    pretty cool if u ask me.
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    we have a lux euro sat nav as well...
    if you ask me.... i'd its worth of the money to have the sat nav...
    its just a lot better than the hand-held one... in terms of accuracy, usefulness...
    and as its DVD based system, it recalculates routes in very fast pace if compared with portable ones... (we have the uniden portable GPS as well)...
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin' - EuroAccord13, Mugen88, Adammet04, jamchen, krogoth, yourfather, Sydsyd, Atjo, SiReal, Xplodin

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Hmmmm. Plenty of deciding to be done......

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Hmmmm. Plenty of deciding to be done......
    I'd look at a good hardwired aftermarket one installed in the centre console(where the cd holder is).Lot cheaper than $3000.A good installer in Perth should be able to advise you.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234
    I'd look at a good hardwired aftermarket one installed in the centre console(where the cd holder is).Lot cheaper than $3000.A good installer in Perth should be able to advise you.
    I totally disagree with this approach. This approach will completely wreck the ergonomics and aesthetics of the central console.

If what you are suggesting is a way to save money, then please realise that Honda SatNav is reportedly one of the cheapest manufacture-install option available on the market today.

Secondly, buying a car through fleet company (instead of haggling with the dealer yourself) will save you around 3000. So everything is relative.

Reference:
    1. http://www.autofleet.com.au/pages/home.htm
    2. http://southgatefleet.com.au/ -->This is where I got my car, saved thousands and no haggling with dealer. Picked car up from local dealer as per usual.
    3. If you are a Choice magazine subscriber, you can buy car through their 'Choice Shopper' service. Many happy customers, myself included. These days, I will only buy big ticket items through them. I also saved heaps with household items like fridge, washed, vacumn but that is a topic for another forum.
    4. There are many other fleet car companies like these willing to accept your business, google it with keywords such as 'automotive fleet', 'salary packaging'....you don't have to salary package if you cannot do this through work (not always desirable anyway), most companies will still get the car for you, ha ha.
    Last edited by mastcell; 11-11-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    I just end up going somewhere new everytime I go for a drive. I always end up where I want to go eventually......
    Another advantage of SatNav not often voiced is that it will save a little time and a little money (petrol). Human are creatures of habit which mean we all prefer a certain route even if there are better alternatives, SatNav will suggest those routes as you are driving.

Even in a familliar enviroment, when the desired destination has not been entered into the SatNav, the map displayed onscreen is extremely useful in assisting the driver to think about which route he/she should take.

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    gp fot TOMTOM ONE
    it is very accurate and save a lot of $
    at the end of the day, it is just sat nav.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Between the pros and cons of the Honda's satnav and those stand alone ones... I'd get Honda's because:
    - stand alones tempt thieves
    - is very troublesome to use if you get an entry model unit that does not have a touch-sensitive screen
    - Honda's unit just makes the car look good.

When you compare between a sat nav and a non-sat nav Euro, you'd probably prefer the look of the sat nav-equipped one.

BTW, sat nav is only a guide. If you know a shorter route, use your route and the sat nav will recalculate its route to suit the path that you take.

If you decide to purchase a sat nav-equipped Euro, remember to ask the dealer what version of the map that it comes with. If it is still 2003, ask for 2005 or 2006. If there isn't an updated version out, negotiate that they give you a free update to the map software when it comes out.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2