Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro MY06 Std Auto

Skid around corner.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to test the Euro's VSA and took a right corner at 60km/h+ tonight (no traffic was around), the tyre lost traction and made a screeching noise. I didn't lose control but understeered.

My question is does this sort of driving damage the drivetrain/chasis in anyway?

Thank you in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Well not really unless there was alot of force entering the drivetrain or chassis, for instance if you hit the curb whilst skidding.

But if it was just a small screech, there shouldnt really be anything to worry about. The euro's chassis is actually very stable, and honda drivetrains are amongst the best in the world.

Just ask for a wheel alignment when you get new tyres
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    if there was no impact with curbing or anything (your tyre lost traction nothing else) u got nothing at all to worry about. Dont worry about an alignment, slight understeering definatly wont change the alignment. your drivetrain will also be completly fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    your car can handle this abuse no probs, its tough!

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9|NA6CE
    Did you feel the body roll and huge weight transfer??

I use to do that all the time when the Euro was my only car. Only thing that would damage is your tyres. Don't think drivetrain will suffer much unless you're ripping front doughies when exiting the corner, haha!

Member Array
    Car:
    Thanks very much for your reassurance. Feel much better now.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Be careful that you don't go into oncoming traffic around the corner. The street is not a safe place to do this. It's better if you could use a large open air carpark.

btw... Did you experience snap-oversteer when VSA activated?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Hi Aaron. No oversteer. I was actually too freaked out when it screeched to remember. I won't be doing that again.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    You dont have the stock Dunlop SP2050 tyres on the car do you?

ergh they were so crap, dodgy grip and not confident in the wet.
    Ive upgraded to 17" yoko C-Drives, quite an improvement...
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro Sport
    *grins* you took a right hand corner at only 60km/h???

If you have driven your car for a while and know it's limits, then I should add the following pointers:
    1. FWD cars naturally understeer.
    2. VSA only detects wheel slip in Australian models on the front wheels. Hence if you take a sharp corner and your rear tyres lose traction slightly around the corner, that's normal.
    3. Please don't hit a curb doing this (or hit something period) as then it could damage your chasis/suspension/wheels. Best place to try this sort of driving is on a track.
    4. I have 17" Bridgestone REO40's which are slightly better than the 16" dunlop OEM's.
    5. The Euro has one of the better lateral grip and cornering chasis's on a non-sport orientated vehicle. It won't corner like a Porsche but it corners better than most.
    6. Once you REALLY know what you're doing, turn off VSA. VSA also limits the accelleration gain on the pedal during a corner. Once you learn how to judge a corner and optimise your entry/exit speeds (or really accelerate around a corner), you'll take it faster that way.
    7. Don't ever do it in the wet unless you're on a track or you don't mind paying the excess on your insurance policy.

It's heaps of fun taking corners at fast speeds near your car's limit within common sense constraints. But know what you're doing first ... too many young hoons out there who misjudge and cause damage or danger to others/themselves.

And remember at $300 each, tyres ain't cheap.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro
    i got the back end out once..
    took a slight corner rather quick, then half way through the corner i let go of the accelerator and the back slipped out.

youtube can teach you so much.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    yeah that good ol' lift off oversteer