Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Q_ball View Post
    So much money jst to keep up with a STOCK WRX...
    Seriously, spend that 5k elsewhere.
    trust u to pounce on a thread with the word WRX in it hehehe

dude spend ur money wisely, dnt go spending it all on engine mods in order to keep up with another car.. unless ur building it for track in that case go for it

i dun rekn you should spend so much money to keep up with a stock wrx either.

either go turbo from the start, or just do basic i/h/e clutch /fly, and tune. that will be pretty quick already.

rexies launch like bitches man. not much point trying to compete with that. imo, waste of money to mod ur car for traffic light grand prix's. invest in some coilovers and good tyres even?

anywayz, up to u. u get over the draggin stage, and get into the twisties and track stage eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by preludacris View Post
    invest in some coilovers and good tyres even?

anywayz, up to u. u get over the draggin stage, and get into the twisties and track stage eventually.

i think you have a point.
    the first thing i did to my car was put some coil overs on.
    i think it was money well spent.

i just need to find a good set of headers and ecu.
    i was told that the hondata ones are good but not sure which one.
    Last edited by marabaan; 22-11-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    The Hondata S200 seems to be the common choice, assuming you're not 0bd0 like me grr

I have to ask... do you want to build your car specifically to be able to drag off WRXs? Or are you just using the WRX as a benchmark for performance. ie a comparison that everyone should be familiar with?

If you said "I want to build an N/A track car that can pull roughly the same quarter mile as a stock WRX" you'd probably have got a different line of responses.

As a lot of people have said, if the purpose really is specifically to drag off WRXs at the lights, then you might as well just get a turbo from day one.

By the way... if you think building your head and block up for N/A power then adding a super charger is a good idea, you're slightly misinformed. If you do have a long term goal and are dedicated to achieving it, then focus on the end product and work your way back. Hondas are fussy and it can be easy to screw up a project with mis-matched components. Sounds to me like you have a lot of research and planning ahead of you.

Keep posting until you're 100% clear on every step of the job, otherwise you could end up looking back thinking "that $3k I wasted back there could have been handy right now". Good luck!

there are some really good point in all the replys and its made me think alot about what im going to be doing with my car.
    i know a civic wont be able to keep up to a wrx at the lights but how about on the track.
    a wxr is just as example of what i want to be able to keep up with.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    In that case, brace yourself for very different responses.

Keeping up on the track is a different ball game. You can reduce your lap times in so many different ways that don't even involve touching the engine.

There are so many inspirational drivers and cars on this forum achieving excellent track times that are equally or even bettering WRXs, Lancers, Skylines etc. Some with unmodified engines!

You could sell your SS and upgrade to full race spec coilovers and get extra stiff adjustable sway bars, semi slicks and a better LSD for $5k and you'd probably improve your times by more that way than by putting the same cash into engine mods.

With this in mind, you are better off focusing your efforts on the handling and the drivetrain FIRST and then reevaluating your power afterwards.

so right now its more on driver skill then power.

back to the drawing board i go to figure out what i really need from what i really want.

Member Array
    Car:
    n/a
    Why does it take so much to keep up with a wrx? A standard wrx is good for low to flat 14 when it does an absolute rip of a launch, if it bogs or launches normally it’s only good for high 14s or even worse. Zco on this forum did a 14.7 in his very standard ek4, surely there was some stripping but the point is ek4 is not slow, with some basic mods and keep the car’s weight sensible you will have a very good chance. And to top it off, your ek4 can take the advantage of this hot summer, all the turbo cars will suffer substantially, where your na Honda won’t be affect as much. So have faith in your ek4 and practice on how to extract the best outta your car.

And one last thing, you don’t have to pick on a modified wrx or turbo cars, no one would say you are a chicken since you are the underdog, but when you beat or keep up with a standard rexy, you will draw praise and respect. And of course make sure you only do that on the tracks or the drags.
    Last edited by xtercii; 22-11-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by preludacris View Post
    i dun rekn you should spend so much money to keep up with a stock wrx either.

either go turbo from the start, or just do basic i/h/e clutch /fly, and tune. that will be pretty quick already.

rexies launch like bitches man. not much point trying to compete with that. imo, waste of money to mod ur car for traffic light grand prix's. invest in some coilovers and good tyres even?

depends if hte person knows how to launch, give it tooooooo much it'd break, don't give it enough, it'd bog.
    lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    Quote Originally Posted by Q_ball View Post
    So much money jst to keep up with a STOCK WRX...
    Seriously, spend that 5k elsewhere.

or sell your car..
    and buy a WRX..

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    Quote Originally Posted by Da1nONLY View Post
    or sell your car..
    and buy a WRX..
    make sure it's a sti
    lol.

yeh i was thinkin about selling my honda and getting a wrx....
    but stuff that i like N/A cars which can be reved off its ****