Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    There's heaps of middle aged blokes with families who just want a safe 4 door that they can have a bit of fun with. There's probably a lot more WRX owners who just got their car as a family car and didn't even think twice about performance potential.

Anyway my 2c is if you got a Honda it's because you like that go-kart feel to driving. Improve upon that. If you like the thrust you back into your seat style of driving, get a v8 or something. If you like a combination of both, get a Ferrari. My point is, focus on the aspects of your car that it is designed for and that make it fun to drive.

s 2 0 0 0 .. Array
    Car:
    JDM70Y
    dylanamus forking out 5k isnt little man..
    u gotta work hard for 5 grand
    if he wants to start modding his car.. 5 grand will do alot
    since it already has a b16a
    things he should just do (this thread is about how to eat a stock wrx)
    1. headders + high flow combo ($700)
    2. lighten toda B series flywheel ( $500, find a used one would probably set you back $250 )
    3. cam's $800
    4. hondata s100 (used $500)
    5. good tuning (toda,dyno dave etc) $600

this is just a rough estimate of what you could do
    so far that would set you back
    $3100 somthing around there
    there are other things u could do like cold air intake
    like injen, mugen that kinda thing
    dont doubt it mate. 5k is alot of money..
    unless u go to the wrong places and get a new assh0le riped outta you =D
    then with the spare pocket change u could probably afford coil overs still
    and the struts n stuff are fairly cheap.
    +kyobi imaging / Shooting star

1 3 5
    ├┼┼┐
    2 4 6 R

just a reminder that this thread is about what needs to be done to a b16a to keep up of munch a stock WRX

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Well if you want to beat a stock WRX and never take it any further, then sure, source some second hand internals. Otherwise if you have plans of taking it to another level later on, I'd focus on keeping the engine internals stock and putting the money towards getting the most out of your engine when you do crack it open and beef it up. Again if it's for the track, you will seriously get better times by firstly improving your handling. Power won't make you much faster overall when a b16a can still throw you hard into the corners anyway.

There's a lot of people around who have bought packages to work their heads and never got around to it, so you can get the whole kit for around $1500 if you're patient. ie. Cams, cam gears, springs, retainers. I'm not talking Toda for that price, but maybe something like Skunk2 or ITR/CTR stuff.

If it's gonna cost you $500 to get an ecu and another $500 for a tune. That's $2500 already. And you'll probably find that if you get the head built by someone reputable it'll cost you next to $2500 in labour and gaskets/seals.

$5k is a lot of money. I never disputed that fact. Man for me $500 is a lot of money haha But $5k will only get you so far in performance modifications. You're better off budgeting ahead than behind too. Dreaming up a cheap fix and then being brought down to reality is why half these internals go up for sale in the first place.

Edit: RMN15N: While I do agree with you, you are overlooking the fact that not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to do all their own work. I didn't see labour (or the commonly overlooked additional parts like seals etc) factored into your suggestions anywhere. Labour is the killer that decks us non grease monkies. $2500 might be an exaggeration for headwork. But just to give you an idea, a reputable workshop near my locale gave my friend a quote very close to $2000 for similar work including a valve grind and conversion to a type R intake manifold. So it's not cheap stuff to get done properly.
    Last edited by Dylanamus; 01-12-2006 at 04:01 PM.

s 2 0 0 0 .. Array
    Car:
    JDM70Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylanamus View Post
    Well if you want to beat a stock WRX and never take it any further, then sure, source some second hand internals. Otherwise if you have plans of taking it to another level later on, I'd focus on keeping the engine internals stock and putting the money towards getting the most out of your engine when you do crack it open and beef it up. Again if it's for the track, you will seriously get better times by firstly improving your handling. Power won't make you much faster overall when a b16a can still throw you hard into the corners anyway.

There's a lot of people around who have bought packages to work their heads and never got around to it, so you can get the whole kit for around $1500 if you're patient. ie. Cams, cam gears, springs, retainers. I'm not talking Toda for that price, but maybe something like Skunk2 or ITR/CTR stuff.

If it's gonna cost you $500 to get an ecu and another $500 for a tune. That's $2500 already. And you'll probably find that if you get the head built by someone reputable it'll cost you next to $2500 in labour and gaskets/seals.

$5k is a lot of money. I never disputed that fact. Man for me $500 is a lot of money haha But $5k will only get you so far in performance modifications. You're better off budgeting ahead than behind too. Dreaming up a cheap fix and then being brought down to reality is why half these internals go up for sale in the first place.

Edit: RMN15N: While I do agree with you, you are overlooking the fact that not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to do all their own work. I didn't see labour (or the commonly overlooked additional parts like seals etc) factored into your suggestions anywhere. Labour is the killer that decks us non grease monkies. $2500 might be an exaggeration for headwork. But just to give you an idea, a reputable workshop near my locale gave my friend a quote very close to $2000 for similar work including a valve grind and conversion to a type R intake manifold. So it's not cheap stuff to get done properly.

yeah i do agree with you, i did forget to mention that most of you guys arnt grease monkeys, but
    some people do underate the 1.6L vtec engine.
    sure when there stock there pretty much pansy cars,
    but with slight modifications and driving techniques you can beat a stock wrxy.

ie; my mates ek4, previous owner had a custom made intake from plazman and with that stock car he ran a 14.7 down the 1/4
    stock wrxy's run 14 flat
    with more help like headders + highflow cat , HD clutch + an cold air intake
    you could eat stock wrx's morning to dark.
    but then again, u gotta learn how to launch it correctly and drive ur car b4 you do anything..
    cause if ur a sh*t driver even with a slightly worked motor ur still gonna lose to a hyundai excel... trust me ive seen this happen
    ** cough (NVD-VTC)
    +kyobi imaging / Shooting star

1 3 5
    ├┼┼┐
    2 4 6 R

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    a good Intake , header , exhaust, Type R IM + TB , CTR cams , valve springs , Hondata / Power FC ECU , Lightweight flywheel + good clutch , Type R gearbox with 4.7 fd or run 4.9 ATS FD > dyno tune it + good driving skills.

for your information egb16a ( paul ) ran 13.6 with his stock bottom end b16a motor. ( NA ) all the above list is what he got only on his car.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2001 Integra DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by civic_mods View Post
    I personally saw modproject EG(B18CR) chase up with a porsche GT3 and 350Z Turbo in winton last week, but ask him how much he had spend on NA tuning and if u can spend that much, ur Ek4 will be an animal.........
    That EG is a quick little jigger alright. It would be interesting to see him going against other cars that were being driven flat out.

The GT3 wasn't going all out, the Ferrari Challenge had it's A/C on and the 350Z turbo had slight mechanical issues (and the drivers still have a bit left in them as well). The 350Z turbo was slower than David M's N/A 350Z so it probably isn't a really valid comparison.

Member Array
    Car:
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by 80057 View Post
    i agree since the newer rexes after 2k arent that big a seller there are less mods going on, dont get me wrong there are truck loads of modded rexs, but not as many as there used to be. remember the pre 2k shape (still reckon it looks the best) 95% probably had something done to them.

i see heaps of the newer ones stock, unless they are all sleepers, tho i dont know anyone who buys a rex to be a sleeper
    That is because kids can't fork out over 40k for the new WRX. They are plenty of mods available for the new WRX overseas too...

Quote Originally Posted by EG5 View Post
    a good Intake , header , exhaust, Type R IM + TB , CTR cams , valve springs , Hondata / Power FC ECU , Lightweight flywheel + good clutch , Type R gearbox with 4.7 fd or run 4.9 ATS FD > dyno tune it + good driving skills.

for your information egb16a ( paul ) ran 13.6 with his stock bottom end b16a motor. ( NA ) all the above list is what he got only on his car.

what type of headers did EGB16A (paul) use.
    did he use the toda ones or the jdm itr ones

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Quote Originally Posted by marabaan View Post
    what type of headers did EGB16A (paul) use.
    did he use the toda ones or the jdm itr ones
    x force 4-1
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Quote Originally Posted by EG5 View Post
    x force 4-1
    and how much power does egb16a get out of his car

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Great topic. 1st four pages of people saying swap your engine or buy a turbo car was annoying.
    For a N/A 1.6L to keep up with a WRX even if stock is so much more special than buying a turbo car or putting a bigger engine and doing it.. some of you are missing the point.. Even if someone was to spend 15k on their engine it would be faster more original and cheaper than buying a brand new wrx or similar.
    Last edited by 0098; 09-02-2007 at 06:49 PM.