Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootbonzai View Post
    6000 should be enough for some decent stuff.

$1500ish headers
    $1000ish catback
    $1000ish clutch and flywheel
    $400ish intake
    $1500 coilovers

That's what i'd start with.

If you still got some cash, ECU and get it tuned.
    ^^ post number 4

i have a intake and a all ready getting a cat back does any one no where i can get a obd0 after maket ecu

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    everything really depends what condition your engine is in atm.

as for ecu, just get a jumper harness obd0->obd1 and run hondata
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

yeh well its done 250,000 km thats why was saying should i get a new head and pistons ?? just to freshen up things?
    Last edited by timos_b; 23-11-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Member Array
    Ouch $1200aud/$900USD for headers! It's been a while since I've seen a set that much. I do think Todas are high but DC's work just as well.

My first question is how many miles on the motor and tranny? If the motor is really high mileage you don't want to change how it sits. One simple change can hurt the motor. I have a friend that has a 1991 Fox and he put the timing to stock settings and his gas mileage dropped from 30mpg to 20mpg by changing 1 degree. Old cars like how they are set. Only 150k miles on it too.

What is your future plan for this car? Do you plan on buying a new car few years down the line and make this one a full race, semi race, or keep it a daily driver?

What is done to the motor and tranny right now?

What is your driving style? Do you drive at the speed limit, speed a little, or just want something that can keep up with or pass the others?

How much time do you have to do mods, like down time? Remember if you have to order parts it can take a few days to weeks to months. I have even seen some b16 parts a year out from shipping.

I would do mods now that will allow you to add power with the shortest down time possible. New belts, a pulley kit, crank pulley, cam gears, intake manifold, throttle body, intake pipe and filter, exhaust manifold, cat back exhaust system, maybe cams and valve springs and retainers if you have a few days. Then the fuel system would need a tune up and you might as well add some parts. The fuel rail, filter, lines, fuel pressure regulator, pump, and injectors, but only if the parts are needed, could be put on in one day. There are plenty of calculators on-line if you need one to find out what injector size you need. Then a programmable ecu can be put in and tuned same day. So that will help a lot too.

If you have 3-6 weeks a mild build could be considered. Check the compression and do a leak down test, maybe pull the head and check the piston tops, head faces, and valves. This will tell you if you need to rebuild it before you get into a drastic build. A mild build will eat up some of that $6k but you could do all the internals now and not have to worry about doing that later when you want that turbo kit and/or nitrous. I would at least do rings, gaskets, seals, belts, and bearings, then clean and hone the block, check the other parts for spec, and make sure you’re good to go. It's simple and would only use up about $1k in parts and about that much in labor. That leaves $4000 for other parts.

If you can put together a list of what you want to get I would order now, once January to February hits, race teams are ordering 20 of everything. I know one of the teams here ordered 30 piston kits this last year for 6 motors. JE is still backordered on some kits.

These are just my suggestions though.

Array
    Car:
    115hp 4stroke yamaha
    save up another 6k and ill sell you my full k20a swap. =)
    JdmYard, Team POV!

Member Array
    6000 should be enough for some decent stuff.

$1500ish headers
    $1000ish catback
    $1000ish clutch and flywheel
    $400ish intake
    $1500 coilovers

That's what i'd start with.

If you still got some cash, ECU and get it tuned.
    $2500 for a exhaust system?

u can get a full xforce system installed for $1200.
    do that first along with a cold air intake and just thrash the car around, then if the engine dies in a year or 2 just get a new engine from the money u've saved
    Quote Originally Posted by riceball View Post
    ballers like barefootbonzai can afford to spend money on his car and save for a future...

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    Quote Originally Posted by mj3610 View Post
    $2500 for a exhaust system?

u can get a full xforce system installed for $1200.
    do that first along with a cold air intake and just thrash the car around, then if the engine dies in a year or 2 just get a new engine from the money u've saved
    X-Force FTW!!!!!!!

Member Array
    X-Force FTW!!!!!!!
    yeah not everyones a rich kent like u to waste 2.5g on headers and exhaust, and on a FWD...
    he'll benifit more from spending the money he saves somewhere else like ecu or something, theres nothing wrong with x-force...
    Quote Originally Posted by riceball View Post
    ballers like barefootbonzai can afford to spend money on his car and save for a future...

Member Array
    Car:
    Rang Mobile
    id buy a full all out system,
    bump it crazy,
    get a decent I/H/E
    nice Rims,
    springs.
    YAY

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Given the condition of your engine a freshin up wouldnt go astray but depends on your overall goal aswell, and if those goal posts will move every pay!

Biggest bang for buck with any Honda ( or FWD ) is a lower final drive and lsd, ATS are pick of the bunch for final drives and Quaife's for LSD's but there are some good final drive kits on Honda tech out of the states that are well priced and lsd's can be had second hand or look for decent 2nd hand honda item, not the best but on a budget are fine.

Shop around and with labour lets say $2k

With 4k left id split the motor, get a set of U.S higher comp aftermarket pistons, mod your current rods to accept a floating pin, and freshin up the bottom end......pistons, machining, bearings and gaskets and assy ( incl strapping the head on later as per below ) $2k

Get your engine builder ( Someone used to hondas! ) to just clean up the ports ( type r style ) and have the head serviced with a good 3 angle valve job $500.00

With 1500 left you'll fall abit short ( but not too much ) of getting yourself a pair of type r cams, skunk or copy type r manifold and T/B or OEM item if your hunting around and address intake and exhaust, Mugen intakes and Toda headers cant be beaten on B16's no matter how worked they are.... apart from quads but still to this day not many custom headers out perform the off shelf todas on B16's, though this changes with the bigger 1.8-2.1 big bore/stroke motors.

Standard ecu can be chipped to suit a slight rise in comp but sure a new ecu wouldnt go astray but this is always something like headers and exhaust that can be upgraded as funds become available and how keen you are to spend more.

You dont want to go splitting the engine or box often as your off the road and its expensive so id address these 2 items first and properly then everything around it can be upgraded easily as you go, you might be happy with your intial spend, but like most of us,

once you pop open a honda.....you just cant stop

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Slaz; 23-11-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    Quote Originally Posted by mj3610 View Post
    yeah not everyones a rich kent like u to waste 2.5g on headers and exhaust, and on a FWD...
    he'll benifit more from spending the money he saves somewhere else like ecu or something, theres nothing wrong with x-force...
    how about you f uck off out of these forums, since you think FWD's are so shit. no wonder some other members went skits at you, you're just a f ucken shit stirrer.