Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

koni

these koni yellows that everyone talks bout what are they worth. also whats a cheap brand of shocks someone can recommend to go with a 3" drop

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    round 800 or 900 $

They are quite expensive, and aren't that stiff compared to a lot of brand name alternatives (though, admitedly the japanese brand coilovers do command quite a premium).

3 inches lower on a DA; don't expect to handle, because you won't. You'll have next to no suspension travel left, and with mammoth rims you'll be on tiny rubberband tyres. Might aswell stay stock shocks and save some money.

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    these offer the drop you need:

KSPORT!
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    90 Integra LS
    after looking at some coilovers or new shocks for my car ive decided to buy some D2s from America, the Ksport ones do look VERY nice but unfortunately my budget doesn't go that far hehe.

i cant wait
    The Pain Of Discipline Is Far Less Than The Pain Of Regret

Member Array
    Car:
    I miss my old DA9 :0(
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    They are quite expensive, and aren't that stiff compared to a lot of brand name alternatives (though, admitedly the japanese brand coilovers do command quite a premium).

3 inches lower on a DA; don't expect to handle, because you won't. You'll have next to no suspension travel left, and with mammoth rims you'll be on tiny rubberband tyres. Might aswell stay stock shocks and save some money.
    I think you missed part of what was mentioned or might not know the following, that when you lower a car to that extent e.g. 3" - 4" you must have matching shocks, which in this case the ideal would be Konis, Tokikos and the like this is due to them being about one third shorter than stock shock absorbers thus alowing suficient suspension travel.

And yes 3" or lower you will handle if it is done right! I know this for a fact and I owned my DA9 for 5yrs with that set up and it handled imresively good, without any dramas, appart form bushes.

also you dont need shocks to be real stiff for a car to be able to handle, too stiff and the car will not be able to transfer its weight to the griping tyres throught a corner, bouncing through one is just as bad since the stiffer you go the less travel the shock physically has, and yes believe it or not rubber bands do help, they have stiffer side walls compared to 50 or 55 profile tyres then again R compound tyres will always be better

I sugess that if you're goign to do any light track sessions or only plan on tracking your car and be able to keep it as a daily driver then Koni Yellows/Reds and the like are a great entry level to good handling, then for sure if you're more serious about it then Coilovers would be the go.

For those that wouldn't mind a bit of a read here is a link just for yall: http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh..._handling.html
    ダットサン, Dattosan!
    My Daily driven Datto http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11572