Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VTEC slipping

Member Array
    Car:
    1993 Integra

VTEC slipping

Hi Guys

I need some advice... My JapSpec Type R's Vtec has slowly been slipping...

It used to kick in at 4800 rpm now it kicks in at 6000 rpm...

Has anyone has anything similar happen if so what did you do? I know I could install a VTEC controller but this wouldn't fix the actual problem..

It has only just been serviced.. Do I need to take it to a Honda dealer?

Thanks in advance

Kat

Member Array
    Car:
    a bicycle lol
    ecu problems?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2-R
    the standard rpm for the big vtec cam is 5800rpm, and generally most tacos are out so it will look like 6000.

4800 sounds very low unless you have a chipped ecu like a spoon ecu ect

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2RRRRRRR
    wtf! 4800rpm change over point stock?
    any mods done such as a new ecu or vtec controller?
    if stock it sould not be changing over at 4800. is it still kicking in hard? have you checked your oil level?
    please give us more information as the more information you provide us with the easier and quicker it is for us to help you.

ilan
    IS motor racing

Quote Originally Posted by SiR CRX View Post
    Sex Spec reminds me of Paris Hilton.

She's worth a lot of money but still looks like cheap trash....

If you've got Piggy back ecu/vtec controller have a look into that cause it could be causing your problem.

Also, VTEC operates around oil pressure so make sure you've got descent oil pressure. You may have had a slow leak which is causing your engine to reach the desired oil pressure later on in the rev range, hence VTEC engagement slowly shifting.

Member Array
    Car:
    1993 Integra
    Well its only just been serviced so it has heaps of oil in it.. i don't know if it has a new ECU when i bought it i was under the understanding it was stock.. As when I took it to a Honda dealer they were complaining that the Jap engine wasn't matching up to the Aussie comp well...

Are you suggesting a new ECU? I don't have a VTEC controller...

Yes the VTEC used to always kick in a 4800 now its at 6000.. Does this have something to do with it being a Jap spec engine?

Even now when it kicks in it seems to be lagging a little with not as much pull..

Kat

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ B20vtecTurbo
    VTEC engage/disengage is set in the ECU and there is no way it can change by itself. As said above around 5800rpm is quite normal. I agree with checking your oil level besides that there is not much you can do.
    Last edited by Edgeauto; 27-11-2006 at 07:08 PM.
    EDGE AUTOMOTIVE

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ B20vtecTurbo
    If you want to adjust when your VTEC kicks in run a conversion harness and a OBD1 ECU then you can adjust everything even maps.
    EDGE AUTOMOTIVE

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek
    try cleaning your vtec solenoid sealent and check cracks etc and use sealent glue to put itback on remember drain abit of oil before you do it

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2-R
    the jap engine should talk to the comp fine as they are both the same its just the maps are different, i say it may have been chipped, this is ehy it wont talk properly, i also have a Jap Type R and have no problems with the ecu talk to the computer and vtec kicks in at 5800

Might want to check the quality of the wiring. Might have too much resistance that is building up and the signal isnt gettin to where it needs to be??

Good post CRA23

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    do you have a dent in the sump at all