Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DC5R Vs DC5S

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofu View Post
    Ok guys, I would have to be the first one to disagree that the TypeS is soft.
    I have owned a 2002 DC5 auto for 4 years and now I own a TypeS.

All this time I have wanted to buy the DC5R, but after having done my research, i found that the DC5R we get in oz is actually "soft" itself.
    No LSD in the DC5S, big deal. $1000 in the TypeS and you have the same thing. No recaro, to be honest, the recaros on the DC5R does't hold you in that well anyway, most people who actually do serious track work change them for other racing bucket seats....hmm what else, oh yeah, TypeS has sunroof, and no it does't change the rigidity of the car.

The TypeS's K20z1 engine is more similar to the JDM DC5R engine than you think. Where as the K20a2 in the DC5R we have here has softer cams and other internals that are not as performance orientated as the K20z1. What I mean here is the engine in the new TypeS (k20z1) has been upgraded, updated because of the short comings of the k20a2.

Just read up on Clubrsx.com, stock for stock, they can tune more out of the k20z1.
    Jeff you might wanna get your facts straight with reagrds to the differences between the motors.

The JDM DC5R with K20A engine has exactly the same part number for the head as the Australian DC5R with K20A2 engine. The part number is 12100-PRB-A00.

The K20A engine has a compression ratio of 11.5 to 1 while the K20A2 is 11.0 to 1. Different pistons in the K20A. THIS IS THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE

The early K20A and K20A2 had exactly the same valves, springs and retainers according to the parts manual. The springs changed a little by the time the 2004 model arrived, but essentially the same still.

Both engines have the same head gasket exactly according to the parts manual.

Same crankshaft part number for K20A and K20A2 (13310-PRB-A00).

Connecting rods also have exactly the same part number.

K20A has a different part number for the crankshaft pulley (13810-PRC-003) while the K20A2 is 13810-PRB-A01. The K20A pulley could be lighter or slightly different diameter. Only guessing here. I might check it out sometime and find out the difference.

K20A has a lighter flywheel (22100-PRC-003). K20A2 flywheel part number is 22100-PRB-003.

The Type S makes an extra 7kw through a slightly larger intake manifold (jdm i am guessing) and slighlt larger exhaust than the Aus Type R. Everything else is the same as the A2 as far as i am aware.

All in all intake/exhaust/headers are the first engine mods most ppl do.

Personally i prefer the R, due to the recaros and momo wheel, etc. I track race my car once a month and have yet to see a dc5r at the track with an aftermarket seat in it. Car makes 150kw atw and is within 1-2sec of the lap times of a friends GT3 Porsche and in a straight line is as fast as the evo 8-9's making 180-190kw atw.

I like the styling of the front end of the S as well as the wheels and cd player but other than that i'd happily take an R over an S

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    This is what I am refering too...

Comments:

This engine responds better to tuning than the K20A2, probably due to the better cams and the fact that the stock ECU runs so rich at the top end. A race header, with tuning will provide a significant increase in the mid range and top end torque.

Cams

We have cross referenced the 05 RSX intake and exhaust camshaft part numbers with those available for Japanese ITR.

The Japanese part numbers for the ITR intake cams are:

14110-PRC-000
    14110-PRC-010
    14110-PRC-020
    This is because there have been three revisions of the engine.

The US part numbers for the 05 cams are:

14110-PRC-030 (intake)
    14120-PRC-030 (exhaust)

It is therefore our assumption that the cams in the 05 RSX are the Japanese ITR cams. which have the same lift but more duration than the PRB cams

(The 02-04 intake cam part number is: 14110-PRB-020 )
    that was taken from Hondata USA website.
    http://www.hondata.com/dynok20-05rsx.html

Ok maybe i shouldn't have said the K20A2 isn't as performance orientated.
    The K20A2 has all those parts, the K20Z1 (in the 05-06 TypeS) has the same too, and also not only that, it has better cams according to Hondata USA.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofu View Post
    This is what I am refering too...

that was taken from Hondata USA website.
    http://www.hondata.com/dynok20-05rsx.html

Ok maybe i shouldn't have said the K20A2 isn't as performance orientated.
    The K20A2 has all those parts, the K20Z1 (in the 05-06 TypeS) has the same too, and also not only that, it has better cams according to Hondata USA.
    Hmm it would be interesting to actually know the duration as compared to the others but i guess that info isn't readily available

Ahh i'm happy with my toda spec c's 297deg duration and 12mm of lift hehe

ive driven both cars... in my honest opinion, i think both cars are pretty much identical interms of performance (ok, mayb the S is a little faster, but the R is a stiffer ride).... wat it really comes down to is what flavour u have no point arguing like little school girls....

Member Array
    Car:
    ed9 crx
    what exactly is the type s? where does it come from (asin where does it originate from)
    i saw best motoring review it comparing it to the jdm dc5r and they thought it was quite mild and more street orientated. Having said that... with the improved suspension geometry over the first gen - all it really needs is an lsd n some decent recaros... if ur willing to pay
    Last edited by ryuhou; 26-12-2006 at 11:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuhou View Post
    what exactly is the type s? where does it come from (asin where does it originate from)
    i saw best motoring review it comparing it to the jdm dc5r and they thought it was quite mild and more street orientated. Having said that... with the improved suspension geometry over the first gen - all it really needs is an lsd n some decent recaros... if ur willing to pay
    It's made in Japan for Australia. USA also gets it in LHD under the RSX Type S. I'm positive that I have the same Best Motoring. That was comparing the 2001-2005 DC5R to the 2006 DC5R. Japan doesn't have a Type S model for their market.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Sexy
    Man this argument is getting very technical. Which is nice to see as its very educational to read.

From a noobs perspective whos never driven either. Type R >>> Type S because the R looked badass for such a small car, easily better looking than a WRX or an Evolution. But I hated everything about the facelift of S. Everything.

Member Array
    Car:
    ed9 crx
    your right about the comparison
    but there was a separate episode where they reviewed the type s
    just a small segment...

sooo yeah.... dc2r ftw!!!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Coupe VTi..
    if most of the parts on both cars are the same, i just wanna know if both have the same brand mods (CAI, header, cat-back exhaust, hondata ecu coilovers and etc..) which whould be better..?
    also, with the soft ride of the type S, most people would change theirs to coilovers,.. wouldn't that change the ride comfort..?
    and another thing, which has the better brake system..? (even if they both changed the pads to a after-market ones)..?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Coupe VTi..
    Hey CivicOnBoost, how did you get your R to go 150kw@w..? Turbo..??
    how much did it cost for your mods..?

Quote Originally Posted by fuze View Post
    Hey CivicOnBoost, how did you get your R to go 150kw@w..? Turbo..??
    how much did it cost for your mods..?
    injen cai, spoon tb, jdm im, toda headers, custom catback, toda spec c cams/valve springs/retainers, hondata k-pro

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    Japan does have the TypeS, but it's the 118kw version.