Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    95 CRX Delsol

Gen2 CRX - B18 or Turbo charge, Any suggestion

Hi everyone,

Friend of mine offer me to buy a 88 CRX with 115,000km at very cheap price. I am thinking of putting a b18 or turbo on the current D series Non-Vtec 1.6lt.

The purpose of buying this car is purely for track/circuit only.

Any suggestion. with $10-12k on top of the car.

Many thanks.....

Alot of the most reliable track cars are NA.

Reliability is sometimes more important then all out power.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    yeahh wat he said^^ lmfao
    man for that much on top of buying the car, you could get a k20a in there... thats what id be doing...
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    95 CRX Delsol
    Any idea how much the K20a's front cut? I been told that K20a very hard to get. And $10-12k includes Sus. I/H/E, ECU, tyres etc...

Member Array
    Car:
    EGTWO
    i say leave the current engine for now, cause its only got 115XXXkms on it which is really low for the age of the car
    do ur suspension first then test the car, if u feel it need more power, i would go with the b18c and make it a reliable N/A on the track, the last thing u wanna be doin is missing all the track days because ur turbo is not tuned properly or u've blown and engine

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    If u paid other people to do the entire conversion for u,u'll be strugglin to put a B18C into an ED for $9k,a B18CR for $11k,as for a K20............I'd hate to think what that would cost.........certainly not less than $12k

Member Array
    Car:
    EF-orever
    flypig, your budget is 10K?
    For that amount you can have whatever engine platform you want...

CRXer, a K20A2 sold on ebay a few months back for 5k flat (melb I think)

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    Mis conception that a K series is 10g if thats teh case then you would have seen 2 crx's already on teh road with k20's in them by now.

Dont be fooled. A k20 conversion is not cheap and you have to think carefully of all teh things involved.

Not just a half cut.
    Engine mounts in 1 has to be welded on, drive shafts, custom radiator as the hoses will now have to come out on the other side (left) as teh pulleys are on the right. Then bonnet clearance issues.
    Powersteering will have to be axed if your expecting the majority bonnet to stay as is. Instead of being cut up.

So far costs including supply and fitment of a k20 into a gen2 approx equals close to 15-20g its not cheap and if u want a realli nice reliable track CRX for teh budget specified.A b18c gen2 is nice as, i've been in my friends one and its awesome as!It is a fair change from teh d16a lump 1.6L non-vtec to 1.8L vtec!

go for it...!
    More than welcome to keep asking questions.
    as i've nearly seen em all. LS-teg b16a in gen2crx, b18crx, h22a crx, onli thing missing as yet is a k20 in a CRX! But u should consider costs thoroughly before jumping into it........

Member Array
    Car:
    95 CRX Delsol
    Thanks guy,

that's way toooooo expensive (k20a).

I just got a quote from a workshop - turbo charge - rebuild engine (piston, rod etc.) and T28 / fuel pump/ bigger injectors/full exhaust/microtech & tune for $14,500. but guarantee 180-200kw@FW

Member Array
    Car:
    95 CRX Delsol
    Turbo charge - reaonable ????

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    it could be just me but dayum! that seems so expensive!
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    i realli dont think i would go to spend all that much for a turbo setup.When a conversion to the same value would be more reliable.