Member Array
    Car:
    EG5

EG overheating / Temporary fix

Over the hot weekend, my EG5 (94 Civic VTi Hatch D16Y1 Engine) developed a very serious overheating issue.

On Saturday morning the mechanic did a service to my car…Changing Engine gearbox oil. Changed thermostat + coolant. But in the afternoon after normal 5 mins of city driving, the temp gauge was pointing to the highest point of "H". The coolant in the coolant tank was boiling. So i towed the car to the mechanic, and we think it was the radiator been partly blocked. He showed me this by putting a water hose in one end of radiator with strong flow, but the water coming out from the other end is weak.

So the mechanic took out the thermostat and wired the radiator fan to be always on. So i can use my car in the mean time, while we are waiting for a new radiator. Now still after 1 hour of 110km/h travel in freeway, the temp gauge is around half.

My questions are:

1) Do this repair method damage my engine, if i keep on driving like this for a month while waiting for my new radiator? (i drive around 420km/week)

2) Do the removal of thermostat in any way affect my fuel gauge? (because now, i have inconsistence fuel gauge. While acc. the gauge goes down, then move back up when stopping or traveling slowly....even when with almost full fuel)

3) How much is the original radiator for EG and the EK one? Does EK radiator bolt on to EG?

I thank you for your help in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    EK radiator does fit, i'm using one.
    running no thermostat is fine.
    just takes longer to warm up.
    your temp gauge will flucuate on cooler days.

buy a aftermarket replacement one, it's about $200ish, the EK one is twice the thickness of the EG one.

run with the fan on HOT and blowing constant to keep the temp buildup down alittle.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    1) the Fan will wear out quicker being always on, and you dont want to thrash the car when its not at its optimal temperature, so you should get its fixed up asap.

3) My EG's radiator needed replacing, I got a new non-honda one made in Japan for a very good price. I cant remember how much it was, but its like a third of the price of a genuine Honda one. Give Repco a call, they may be able to source one for you. Or get a 2nd hand one from the wreckers (search www.yellowpages.com.au for japanese/honda wreckers) .
    .© ♪

the price of an aftermarket one should b cheap as prob around $200.. u should have got it fixed asap coz running the fan always on is gonna just wasting energy and in the long term use more fuel.. same as with having no thermostat.. the car will run in "cold start" mode for longer and run richer.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Quote Originally Posted by EG5[KRT] View Post
    having no thermostat.. the car will run in "cold start" mode for longer and run richer.
    Oh thank you with all the helpful replies.

Thanks EG5[KRT], i understand why i hear a lot more popping sound from my exhaust now.