Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving engine lower in engine bay?

Just wondering about dropping my engine by a few cm in the engine bay for better centre of gravity

Basically there are 4 mounts. Front, back and 2 sides
    Front/back are on an I beam which is connected to the crossmember and just under the radiator onto the chassis. Just wondering if I could get longer bolts and use some spacer plate there
    The side engine mounts are in a similar design where I can pretty much put spacers to drop it down

Wondering, any downsides besides ground clearance?
    Or could this actually be as simple as about $50 in materials and some DIY work to drop it down roughly 50mm?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    and what makes u think you will be moving the centre of gravity for a positive change? i dont think you wouldnt change much unless u shift it back and forth not really up and down..

however if u can prove it mathically then do it... else you are better off putting the $50 towards carlton draugths..

just my 2 cents
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    an also a more effective way to shift it is to change spring heights.. that would move more weight around

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    yes moving it back more i think proves to be better.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    yes moving it back more i think proves to be better.
    yeah.. most definitly

Member Array
    I'd be more worried about hitting the oil pan on the ground, putting a hole or dent in it and losing oil pressure. Moving it down isn't going to do as much as moving it back.

But moving it back will also decrease traction and this is a much larger job?
    Regardless no room to move back or front for that matter. It's a very tight squeeze

I don't see why moving it down wouldn't offer improvements? it's a heavy cast iron engine and certainly lowering it a bit "should" yield noticable improvements?

Member Array
    It would only lower the center of gravity a fraction. Moving it back is a hard task with any front wheel drive car. I would do suspension upgrades instead. This can be done at home and for less.

The suspension is as far as it goes...
    The only thing I have left to do is maybe seam weld, chassis rail filling and roll cages which I wont put in
    Oh, and run semi slicks for street use
    Otherwise everything is braced, Tein coilovers, every single bush changed, adjustable swaybars front and rear, spherical mount to the swaybars, pillowball mounts at all 4 corners, and other things like relocation of battery to boot and planning on CF bonnet for better weight distribution

I would just think that naturally having heavy parts lower would aid in handling? Like, imagine a CF roof, and lower roof line? Engine sitting lower, seats sitting lower, windows lighter etc all dropping centre of gravity

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    hahah and you payed me out for doing weight reduction spetz shouldnt you worry about getting your engine b4 you worry about how it sits in your engine bay??

Member Array
    Car:
    ep3r
    just put in a lawnmower engine, MASS WEIGHT REDUCTION YO

You're entering a bit of a paradox here.

You want a low centre of gravity so you lower the car, causing your stock axels to already be pushed out of stock geometry as the gearbox is sitting say 40mm lower than stock. Now you want to lower the engine relative to the wheels again. Unless you can find some suitable drive-shafts, there is no way unless you don't plan on turning

Now are you talking about a honda here, or even a fwd? Because you mentioned pillowball mounts, which to me is a method of mounting the top of a mcpherson strut; of which our fwd honda's (the good ones anyway ) do not feature 2 of, let alone 4.

You'd get better results from spending the time doing the work, at the track honing your driving skills.

If you want to get really serious about getting a car with the weigh where you want it, construct one yourself, because you could spend a life-time converting a shopping trolly into a hardcore race-car.