Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gains

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    What are your gains set at?

AMP: 300rms/900W
    I've got my Bass a bit past half way and Treble the same. Ive tuned the volume to max out at 30 (out of 35)

What are your settings?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    What voltage are your preouts? If they are 2V that sounds about right

On the sub amp gains are a bit less than half, on the front stage amp they are minimum

At least you set them nicely, many people take gains to be like a volume control and blast it on full :lol:

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Mine are a few notches before it starts distorting
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    Mine's 1/3 for sub.

Front via HU :cry: need front amp!!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    What effects will it have if you had the gains on max and your headunit volume on low? (eg. Tuned to a max volume at 15 out of possible 35)

My gains on the amp are a little less then halfway for both sub and splits!
    My H/U gains are set +3 Bass and +2 for Treble

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    Well your volume will go up in bigger steps

Having it set that way will most likely increase the THD from the amp...not sure whether you would hear it though. Its always best to set the gains as low as possible, if you need it louder get a more powerful amp

Having it set that way will most likely increase the THD from the amp...not sure whether you would hear it though. Its always best to set the gains as low as possible, if you need it louder get a more powerful amp

Never set gains too high, if you need more power, as poid said get a bigger amp!

Otherwise you will end up frying all your speakers.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    If gains are high, and HU volume is low, then physically, the speakers wont get fried. BUT...is it right to say that the amp is working hard still (tyring to amplify a smaller signal)?

BUT...is it right to say that the amp is working hard still (tyring to amplify a smaller signal)?
    Yep, and this usually means that you can fry the amp! Either way, high gains are not that good for your system. You will either fry speakers or electrical components.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    yuh thats right, i knew there was something i forgot here...its that setting the gains way up high would be increasing the chance of the amp clipping. If you have a decently powerful amp clipping the signal then it'll be generating way more heat than usual, and also sending way more power (and dirty power at that) to the speakers.

Hence risk to the amp itself, and a good chance of blowing speakers...like should you forget that you set the gains on volume 15 and turn it up to 16

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Whats clipping? How can u tell if ur amp is clipping?
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.